navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 224182 times)
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1590 on: September 22, 2018, 06:52:28 AM »

Hi Biff, I've just found this weather website:

https://www.windy.com/-Radar-lightning-radar?radar,51.295,-0.791,5

It probably wasn't lost, but just waiting to be discovered.

You may find it useful in helping to find out what is going to hit you next. Lots of tabs to play with!

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1591 on: September 22, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »

Thanks N2,
             I will give it a go.
                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1592 on: September 22, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »

Slight amendment:

https://www.windy.com/?52.429,2.944,4

This shows the world, rather than just Europe.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1593 on: September 22, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »

What a weird day,
                           No rain,,gentle breezes and loadsa sunshine. Our new street is like a giant apple tart just before it goes into the oven but no apples in it,,just dough,,
The whacker plate would have been lost on it because it was too deep in places and the stuff was wet with a hydraulic action that would only waste the whacker plate. The wide smooth tires on the forklift were OK but again, on the deep end it just left tracks. I know it will set like concrete in a few days, so hopefully it will stick with the forecast and stay dry. The ramp is over 300mm deep in places so there is no way that I could whack this and concrete it. I have decided to fill the screeds to the top and roll it with the forklift. It will not be perfect but by next year it will be well compacted , I will be able to skim the top if needed and concrete it then.
   It was a lovely cold day,,good for shoveling and wheelbarrow work.
                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1594 on: October 03, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

September must have been one of the windiest on record,
                                   I am not complaining, Our turbine does great in it and as the days get shorter and the sun gets weaker, it fills the bank night and day. I had hoped to concrete the ramp but the weather made is simply impossible. The hardcore turned to a kind of playdoa ,like putty and for a while I was worried that it would not get the chance to firm up with all the rain falling. We had some of the heaviest rain ever, in the middle of it all. However, The days went by, The sun did come out and gradually the whole mass went rock solid. I did not roll the ramp with the forklift because of the weather. It was out of the question. I hired a whacker plate yesterday and ran is over the ramp for an hour or so. I spread ballast on the moisture that was squeezed up and now it looks something like this,

Half way through compacting the ramp,the skies opened and it piddled from the heavens, the water started collecting on top, So I spread 3 barrowfuls of Ballast all over it and whackered it into the mix. I am hoping that this will set solid and that I can brush the excess ballast off and down onto the remaining compacted haredcore on the street. I did a small test area of a few square meters and it seems to turn out good.
  I am trying to fill bags with the wood but she wants fed. She will not be ignored. She is only half the size of her "Man" and he is insanely jealous of her visits to the wood store. He is very proud and wild but not above helping himself to the cheddar if he gets half a chance. Brave an all as he is, He will not venture more than a foot inside the rear of the store, She on the other hand flys the length,picking off spiders and bugs. She hops and skips along the floor ,more like a little fox terrier than a bird.
  . This is one of her favorite spots, she is safe from cats, hawks and hubby. I leave her to it and do my work and quite often I turn around and there she is looking straight at me. It is almost as though she has great difficulty understanding exactly what part of the equation I represent. She has this constant supply of cheddar some 4 times a day + on demand , I ask for nothing in return and she is never put under pressure to hop into my hand of perch on my shoulder even though she would like to. It is not something that I want. So if I am not an idiot, there must be some other term and that is the one that she is studying. Make no mistake, She is ruthless , very aggressive and cynical which are not very appealing traits at all, yet there were times during the last of the summer days,when i was working at my bench beside the door, She would ignore the food and just perch a few feet from me above the sleeping Angels head and look out at the garden for 10 minutes or so. There was a warmth there ,a connection other than food. There is a spot on the ivy strapped Ash,,a grotto one might say,,where the two sit ans sing for Mrs Biff. She carries no food and does not feed them and for some reason the sing their hearts out to her,which she enjoys and tells them so. So I guess,because there is nothing to fight over they can relax and sing. He would be a good few years older than her and of course she takes the Michael out of him as well by landing on his back by surprise and scaring the life out of him. She will do this while I am watching and then duck into the red store and give him time to cool off. She was obviously showing off.
  The evening are now much colder and our stove is back in action for 4 hours each evening, I have a pretty good supply of wood but if i keep wasting my time looking at the birds, we will freeze this winter.
    Biff

Tigger

« Reply #1595 on: October 04, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »

It's nice sometimes to just marvel at what happens with the animals that we share the great outdoors with and not try to understand why but just to enjoy it Smiley

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
linesrg

« Reply #1596 on: October 04, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »

Good Morning All,

There's nothing wrong with taking time out to watch other occupants of our planet doing their thing. We have a robin which will sometimes watch me when I'm in the steading.

I haven't seen the badger in there for a while now - I give it space.........

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
supremetwo

« Reply #1597 on: October 04, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »

One of my robins was watching closely as I tidied up the drive.

Thinking of Biff's experience, I did my best impression of Wallace and said "Cheese" to it - it cocked its head as if interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_and_Gromit

So I proceeded to the kitchen for some slices of cheddar, which I left it in a small tray with some bird-seed.
I think it just took a sniff and definitely no avid consumption.

Now my cheddar was the mature kind and definitely British.

Is yours, Biff, Irish cheddar?

Or perhaps we should use Wensleydale?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wensleydale_cheese

The robin population over here need to know.

Fionn

« Reply #1598 on: October 04, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »

Approximately 200M a year (at wholesale prices) worth of Irish cheddar is sold in the UK each year.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1599 on: October 04, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »

Hi Supremetwo,
                It is funny that you should ask that question about the cheese,
. This is the real deal. I cut the slices in 2mm widths and then bunch them and chop them, That way they can lift .what they want. I decided once that i would cut the slices in 75mm long x 2mm wide strings without chopping them up. So I delivered them and watched. Freda was disgusted and after struggling for about 30 seconds with one of the cheese strings  about 75mm liong by 2mm square, she gave up and stepped back. i broke them up there and then in front of her and she helped her self after that.
  They obviously have a thing about the clothes that you wear. I wear an old dark anorak quite often with the hood up over my baseball cap. Maybe Freda things that I am a large Mammy  Robin with the baseball cap peak for a beak, extrahappy, But Honestly,,,she is as confident and laid back when i wear that old coat. She often comes to the windowcill on the porch,,and hops up and down to attract my attention,,Angel barks and i go out immediately with the grub,,Occasionally I forget to wear my old coat and go out wearing a long gray wooley jumper.I kid you not,,She takes off like a jet and no amount of sweet calling will bring her back untill I wear something over that grey jumper.
Our Robins do not like windy weather. It makes them nervous and jumpy. There is very good reason for that behavior along this line of trees where Freda and her hubby hang out. Possibly as far back as 10+ years ago, I was busy inside the green store whose opening faces toward the line of trees and hedge Where Freda and her hubby now live. Mrs Hubs and her daughter tink (the one that she abandoned and Biff and Xena raised as their own)Tink on the end of old Xena,s tail (in the pic below). A small abandoned feral kitten that used to live in my anorak pocket until Xena and Biff took over.  So when she reunited with her mother Mrs Hubs, they would hunt together..This day i was in the back of the green store futtering,,Hubs and Tink were sitting right at the edge of the entry,,They waited until the gusts of wind were really rough and the rain was pelting down and then they suddenly stalked off,single file straight into the trees hunting. Only then did i realise that they were using the noise of the wind and rain to cover their approach. This is why the Robins were getting nervous. They would not understand why they feel the way they do, Mondahl traits only take some 3 generations to get established but when do, they enter the genes, they are very powerful and instinctive . It is not just the survival of the fittest, it is the instinct passed on from the parents, relative to that particular situation in that area. These are my assumptions and nothing is set in concrete.
 When Freda first came here and began hanging about me, I called her Fred from the Aussie song, "Hang me head when i,m dead Fred, Hang me head when i,m dead."  I did not think she would last a day.
Now i know that she was just a very young local Robin that had been chased off by her parents, She hung close to me because it was safe to do so. So from word go, I was her first line of defense and best source of food. No wonder she was very pally with me. However, Her stints with Angel in the shed revealed another side to her character and it took some believing but in the end, I had to accept that not only was she very intelligent but she was also quite cynical and arrogant. She had Angel thinking that there were at least two robins walking about the floor of the shed and when poor Angel got fed up and went to sleep under the handle of the mower, Freda perched on the handle and sat looking at me as much to say,,"Not a lot of cop on there my friend"  She is very possessive and jealous and during the summer, when we had visitors, she flew at my stepsons face because he moved between Freda and myself to get a better look at her. He was very surprised but i said she was being very friendly. Grin.
  She has has at least one clutch of young ans she sent them packing as quickly as she could. I think they got less than a week to get out and find a place of their own. They were not allowed to share her feeding table. That was strictly enforced. The Robins on the Christmas cards are nothing like the real Robins here. And yet i have great admiration for her. She is gutsy, clever but absolutely wild and manages to do very well for herself despite the harsh surroundings and the predators that have already mopped up the other birds around the place.
When the wind blows hard from the north and the rains lash our house and that line of trees where Freda lives, she needs all her wits about her to emerge unscathed, Angel can adjust her little head pillow and scrunch around into a better position in her bed, to snore peacefully, knowing that she will wake up to a good breakfast and no worries. Some difference.?
                                                            Biff

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:10:50 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1600 on: October 05, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »

Fabulous post Biff.
A great excuse for another coffee while waiting for it to get light enough to head for the beach with Elliott.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1601 on: October 06, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »

Then comes a day like today,
                        With balmy sea breezes and bright sunshine. The damp chill, driving rain and relentless wind are all but forgotten.
 And you think,,ah we might just get a few more days like this before Santa comes, yet January and February are tough on everybody.
 I have found many a dead robin in the freezing conditions. They just drop down dead in flight .
 16 years ago,during the construction of the house, when my son and i lived in the mobile home on the site. We used to feed the Robins out the window of the mobile. We counted 7 one time. big fluffy robins. They did look a bit odd with their feathers ruffled up but we thought that was normal and did not know that they all were dying of pneumonia and a few weeks later it started raining for serious and they all disappeared. Some contagious virus was responsible and it affected all of the UK as well. It took a couple of years before they built up enough so that you would notice them. For some reason it affected the Robins the worst. They had no defense against it. then when they started appearing back again, we left out food for them and the other birds. It is really hard to win because you wanted to tell them "For god,s sake keep clear, the place is a death trap"  but the thrushes and the blackbirds would come in numbers ,every single year and every single year ,they would run across death ally from the hawthorn hedge to the fruit trees and on their return journey,,the cats or mink or god knows what would be sitting waiting. The Swallows never came here this year, so we are really glad to hear some song from Freda and her hubby, even if they are as grumpy as Old Mother Cranky.
                                        Biff
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:10:42 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1602 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »

The storm forecast for Friday noon, looked brutal on Wednesday,( Yesterday)
                                           But this morning the red has started pushing out to sea slightly, so we are hoping that the red will move out another 10 mile at least. The wind is blowing from the south which is good but with the right force 9 or thereabouts , it creates a serious suction effect as it comes over the Bluestacks behind us on it,s way out to sea. It is still a bad storm and when  it leaves us it it heading straight for Raasay and the western Isles, Hopefully it will ease off before it gets there. On the other hand, It has split up going round the south of Ireland and shows red over the north of France and red also over Wales in two lots of red a few hours apart for Friday at noon.
  Freda is as jumpy as can be. She bounces about on the feeding table. The wind again upsets her. I had planned to lower our turbine today. There was a clear window in the forecast but at the same time I am keeping an eye on the charts and hoping that i don,t have to lower it. It would be a shame to lose those nice hot tanks of water. Grin. At the moment, our turbine is travelling at a fair old lick but comfortable and steady. This storm happens quite sudden. There very little slow build up and the worst is over in 4 to 5 hours, according to the charts but right now as i type, the sky is dark and the wind is roaring round the house..so much for the charts.
                                    Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1603 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »

Nothing much as yet in Mynyddygarreg our beach walk was a bit truncated due to the high tides, and we wandered through the woods on the way back. The rain started at 9:30, breezy at the moment, but gusts up to 65mph is forecast for tomorrow.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1604 on: October 11, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

With the weather acting up, one minute a nice calm and the next a good force 8, so if this was supposed to be my window for lowering the turbine i hate to think what the storm is going to throw up. I chickened out and got out there wrapped up like an Inuit. Then I remembered that the weight that i had attacked to the safety rope, The weight that pulled the turbine down against the wind from the west had sheared off last April,,, facepalm, so now There was nothing to stop the wind throwing the turbine back up again and indeed the wind had started up blowing from the west.
 So I put the ladder up against the safety rope and top guy ,clamped a pair of straight mouthed vice grips on the safety and wrapped a rope around that,,then attached a gallon of wet washed sand and Bob,s yer Aunty.
   So any member reading this would be best to employ weights when lowering and raising because it takes the risk out of it. Our winch is fast and it was lowered in a couple of minutes.
                            Biff

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:44:34 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 [107] 108   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: