navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 244124 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1605 on: October 12, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

Nice dry morning here,
                     Not cold, strong wind that are just getting going now. We seem to be doing well. The rest of the country has had a rough night. Lots of trees down in Kildare.
 It is a pleasant change to have the wind without the rain,even though the rain helps the Turbine keep cool.
Fortunately, most of the leaves are gone from the trees, so they can withstand the wind better. We have had so much heavy rain lately that the ground has reached saturation point and lots of the trees are now floating on the moss, Not only do the branches wave about but the trunks and bases move back and forth as well. It is something that takes a little getting used to, the first time that you see it.
 Five , Maybe six feet below is a flat rock extending for acres, the moss and peat pile up over the years, The seedlings grow tall and spread their root mass down to the rock and are quite stable all through the summer months, then the rain starts and the water table rises, the moss acts like a sponge,expands and the root mass leave the rock,suspended in something like a few inched to a foot of water which take time to drain away eventually, but while the trees roots are suspended, they still stay upright unless they get blown over, then the fallen trees act as stabilisers for the new growth.
 I have a pic somewhere of a bunch of trees that must have been some 30ft high before they open up like a flower and spread over a distance of 50ft+. It was quite an unique formation at that time because of the symmetry.
                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1606 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Well that was sporting!
Discovered the source of the Nile running down the hill the little flood plain leading to the coast is just that, flooded. Didnt see this on the way down as it was dark and spent the time looking out for the huge puddles on the road.  The rain was lashing down driven by gale force winds. Strangely the beach was empty wackoold and the rain eased to a medium monsoon, Elliott and I were blown up the beach to the rocks which we use as a turning point. Then the fun began,  battling back against the wind and rain. We crossed my mate and his dogs, good to meet a fellow idiot. This was the point we bottled it, and retreated through the dunes to a more sheltered route. Only had to see Elliotts face eyes screwed up to see he was having as much fun as me.
Back home shower for both of us tuck for him hot coffee for me.

We had a day out during the week over to New Quay, excellent pasties for lunch on the harbour wall, and the local dolphins put in an appearance fabulous sunny day.
Now for a shameless plug, we found Felin Ganol Watermill  http://felinganol.co.uk/ at Llanrhystud.  A working watermill since norman times in it's current guise since the 1600's, the owners believe the Romans first used the site. Wonderful machinery and excellent flour made from local wheats. They are working with the local university on developing local strains for milling. the owners Andrew & Anne are happy to show you round but call first 01974 202272.  I can confirm the wholemeal flour makes a lovely loaf.  Highlight of the week and we will now buy their flour for our bread. genuflect
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:40:28 PM by todthedog » Logged
linesrg

« Reply #1607 on: October 13, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »

Biff,

Was thinking about you and your feathered friend this morning at 0615'ish. I was loading up the car to come into town and had left the back door open. Came back to find one of our robins had obviously been attracted by the light and was fluttering around the kitchen like a mad thing. Had to 'chase' it out the kitchen and then shut the door between it and the Utility Room and then opened the Utility to Lobby door, back door and Utility Room window until they found their way out.

Silly bird.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1608 on: October 13, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »

Aye Richard ,
         They can be bold, Sometimes when Mrs Biff and I stop to talk on the front step with the front door open, Freda will just land on the top step and walk in the middle of the doorway. Not fly but just walk in the middle of the opening ,like a grande entrance. We get her out as quickly as possible, I take her feed out to the table.
On Thursday evening, just coming on dark, i was chatting to a friend his vehicle was backed up to the door of the shed and he was leaning against the rear and chatting to me on the drivers side. Freda comes walking around the other side on the ground and i pointed to her on the floor, up she hops on the mower handle and i went and fed her on the rear of the forklift. She can be very tame but this time she wanted feeding up before the storm, I left the door open for an hour afterwards and when i went to close up , she had the lot cleaned up and gone.
   The following morning the storm was going nicely not too bad,,just as I approached the shed,,a hawk rose up and got caught in a strong gust, i must have surprised it. It made a really clumsy effort in getting away. So obviously they hunt in the rough weather as well. This one was a lot bigger than a Kestrel with broad wings like a Kite. I cannot believe that they would hunt a Robin yet that is an area that Freda frequents. Freda is fine and is eating away not a bother. If this is not living on the edge, i don,t know what is.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1609 on: October 13, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

I've only ever had a robin in the house once, 30+ years ago. I came downstairs into the kitchen to see a bird perched on the edge of the frying pan on the stove, (cold), pecking at the residual bits and fat from my failure to wash up. I had left the back door open all night due ventilation after to recreational excess. It took me 3 days to get rid of the mice that also walked in uninvited.
These days I tolerate spiders because they have a purpose in life, eating unwanted flying guests. Anything else can look for digs elsewhere.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1610 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

Callum came and went,
                           The leaves swirled and continued to leave the trees for days afterwards, every leaf was a Freda. The Autumnal colors lack the rustic red needed to hide her in the blackthorn. So she had numerous feasts on top of the tank that house the batteries for the Turbine winch,
   Sunday, a day of rest but not for me, I resolved to send up our turbine and with everything organised and ready, good guys, taped turnbuckles and a weight on the safety rope up she went into the blue but not before I discovered that the plug on the joystick cable connection, were shorting inside. I took the opportunity to strip down all the connections on the winch, wire brush them, slather them in grease, reconnect and slather them again, as I sat on my chair at the foot of the pine winch tree,with Freda looking on. The faulty joystick cable was easy rectified. I went to the box that the winch came in a few years ago and took out the remote control. This is a dangerous article and that is why it was hidden away in the depth of the garage. There is a switch on the side of the remote to cut the power but it can easily be switched on accidentally. The remote can work from over 50 ft away, so it was necessary to remove the battery and seal the lot in a clear plastic container. There is of course a 400amp iso switch from the batteries but the joystick was safer and reacted quicker. Anyhow, it is all hunky dory now and when i get a proper joystick cable and plug organised, the remote will go back into hiding with the batteries removed once again. The winch would actually pull the concrete anchors up or pull the winching tree down, sh*tfan.
    Yesterday,s gales seem to have gathered up the leaves in piles, The Sally leaves that survive Callum relented to the gales yesterday. The place is looking sad and destitute, It is that time of year,, Cry Cry Cry Now they are getting ready for Christmas as if we had not enough trouble .  To the grindstone.
                                     Biff    
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:07:52 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1611 on: October 28, 2018, 10:48:23 AM »

We woke to a yellow watery sun slanting across our bogland,
                                        My little Suzy ignis, covered in crazed designs of white frost and ice. a good 20mm of ice coated the water in the wheelbarrow and artistic dustings of powdery hoare coate the lawns.  Angel went tracking but not for long, she remembered the black pudding chopped up and waiting for her return. She loves her tummy. No sooner had Angel launched herself out the front door than Freda came marching across the steps. She could not wait till we had our walk, she had to have her breakfast immediately, so I fed her on the window cill next to the front door . This frost is new to her and her security which has been invaded by a bunch of wagtails is now at the mercy of this frost, so she is friendly and her wing brushes the back of my hand as she feeds.
      The mountain ash on our front lawns are stripped bare of both berries and leaves, The grass is good but that will turn brown now with this frost. This is winter and this is how it should be. Winters of old had snow in October or early November and then the real deal in Late January or February.
   Our aged bank will take a hammering from the freeze but hopefully recover again quickly. At the moment our PV is powering the immersions at 140vdc. The change in time makes it feel like the PV is doing better than it really is  Grin but it is just coming on stream an hour earlier.
  The day is starting well as I gaze out to the North and the Atlantic, Brilliant golden sunshine is chasing away the frosty mists. Soon I will head off to the shed of dreams where one small idea will make me millions of groats and keep Freda in cheese for eternity as well as Angel in Black pudding until she blows the windows out of the house . Being gifted with such simple desires I find it amazing that I can find my way down to the shed at all.
We have had an influx of many small birds this past few week. Finches and wagtails. They are rather flighty and noisy so maybe it is their mating time. Freda has been mobbed near her nest area by the wagtails. I have no idea why they would do that. Funny enough, we have always had wagtails here but only this past week have we noticed them again. I will put out food for them, find a spot down at the bottom of the garden away from Freda, where they can dodge under cover to avoid the hawks.
   Things are looking up, I just found a ring in the brack.
                                               Biff
  The more you learn about Robins the more you pity their stand against nature. It is as if the one who designed Robin got a little tipsy and pushed a few wrong buttons on the finished product. They have strong maternal instincts .They will feed chicks in the nest of other species but after two or three days they will refuse to feed their own chicks  away from the nest. They are extremely aggressive and most of the deaths are the result of fighting or they die of hunger because the injuries prevent them from foraging properly for food. They are only tame in Ireland and Britain. Our garden diggings are a big attraction to them because they are substitute for the wild pigs that they follow in the forest of Germany and Russia. (This sounds a little better) facepalm

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:06:21 PM by biff » Logged

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1612 on: October 28, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »

Being a member of the awkward squad I havenít moved the clocks back yet.........would like to leave them as they are all winter. By this evening reality will kick in and the job will be done. How does one explain to the dogs tomorrow being an hour late for cross country running (hobbling in my case). This cold weather is a shock but they donít mind; it seems to enhance their sense of smell.
The autumn leaves look wonderful though wearing thin and leaving a golden fringe down each side of the lanes. This yearís apple crop has been a monster one for both dessert and cookers. When the drought ended I thought that it was too late in the season for them to fill out; but fill out they did. So now we have an impossible quantity stored here and there. Most will feed the blackbirds through winter. Oh, and I did start feeding peanuts and fatballs to the dickybirds.
Stan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:43:08 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
camillitech

« Reply #1613 on: October 28, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »

Being a member of the awkward squad I havenít moved the clocks back yet.........would like to leave them as they are all winter.
Stan

I really hate all this feckin around with clocks, confuses my excellent body clock, confuses the animals and has led to some serious cock ups (on my behalf) with the tides.

When I worked on the island of Scalpay for four years we kept the clocks on BST until Christmas and it worked really well. There were only 11 of us living on the island and we only changed after Christmas cos most of us went back to civilisation to see family then.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:07:39 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1614 on: October 28, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

Up in the Midlands for the weekend Autumn a bit more advanced than South Wales. I hate the hour change, messes with your body for a few days.  Neither Elliott nor I appreciate changing our daily rhythm.  Plus side we will be starting our walk in the light for a couple of weeks.
Same as Stan bird food in place for the winter.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1615 on: October 28, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »

And the sun sets on a glorious day,
                         Tanks full of hot water and the house toasty roasty. It was lovely to see the sunshine today. from now on ,till the spring we will not see much of it. I love the colors on the mountain, The brown bracken, blue heather,russet reds and mixed hues of green come to life in the sunshine.
 Our turbine never stirred all day, The freeze stayed locked in the shade, It was great weather to do a bit of work but much too cold to stay long in the shed.
 I hate to admit it but Freda is turning into a tyrant who shows her anger by pecking so hard on the cheese that her beaks bounces off the concrete window cill. This has been developing for a while but I have to admit that I would be 100% responsible by spoiling her the way I do. Maybe she read my morning post Grin. I did encourage her by giving her food every time she asked. The trouble starts when I go to lift the food which she has not eaten, She comes out of nowhere and lands next to my hand , so far i have dropped the cheese and she ate it all up angrily. Who would believe that one so small could give off such an air of anger and malice. It is over 40 years since I studied Lorenz,s books from cover to cover. I was enthralled by his work on Jackdaws, Ravens and the famous Greylags. He never said a word about Robins. hysteria (that I can remember).I am not in a hurry to change our relationship. I am learning too much from her as it is.I just wish there was someone I could ask for advice. With the winter rolling in and the temperature dropping quickly, she will have her work cut out to get by, Everything on the ground was frozen until noon today,especially in the shade. She was particularly friendly and trusting this morning but towards the evening she seemed to grow hostile. It has occurred to me that perhaps this diet of 100% cheese might be bad for her, so I will offer her more variety. When you think about it, Cheese is not a natural food for her. It is high in protein but too much could perhaps affect her negatively ,like it does to some humans.
                                                   Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1616 on: October 29, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »

Temperature dropping through the floor here,
                                           Stove been going steady all day, Biting winds may drive the turbine but they also whip the heat away in a second.
 It is that time of year when I have to put my car through the NCT. I need two rear inside cills and 2 tires. I have considered getting something upmarket but there is nothing as handy as this little thing.
 Any kind of a long journey will bring tears to mine eyes but locally ,,it trips about at 45/50 mph and I seldom have to reach for the stick unless I am starting off. It works brilliant with my trailer and is handy enough to fit in the corner of the shed during the snow. The NCT is costly but all told nothing like as costly as the Vitara was. The Ignis sailed through the last test first time with no repairs need. The battery failed last winter. It has been very reliable and has done more work than all my recent cars apart from my old ZX.
    After I have finished the concreting next spring, I hopefully will replace it with a 3 cylinder Diahatsu Sirion, maybe an 07 or 08. I got a loan of one recently and I was quite impressed.
                                         Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1617 on: October 29, 2018, 05:38:01 PM »

Spent three days under the Subaru welding it so as it would get another MOT,

my days of crawling under cars are over. Got me a Chinese single post vehicle lift to make my retirement easier. Like most Chinese things it doesn't work 'straight out of the box' and the instructions are in Chinglish but I love it all the same  hysteria Sure it wasn't much dearer than another car would have been and it helps with the parking in me shed.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
supremetwo

« Reply #1618 on: October 29, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »

Hope there's a pin to hold the hoist up should a hydraulic leak happen.

Or does it lift via a rotating screw?

Price?

camillitech

« Reply #1619 on: October 29, 2018, 07:37:46 PM »

Hope there's a pin to hold the hoist up should a hydraulic leak happen.

Or does it lift via a rotating screw?

Price?

As with pretty much all hydraulic lifts these days it engages on pawls on the way up and a lever has to be physically held (that red knob) to let it down. Methinks about £1700 + VAT. Single phase and runs fine off the inverter, though you can buy a 24v model for a few quid extra.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: