navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 224171 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1605 on: October 12, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

Nice dry morning here,
                     Not cold, strong wind that are just getting going now. We seem to be doing well. The rest of the country has had a rough night. Lots of trees down in Kildare.
 It is a pleasant change to have the wind without the rain,even though the rain helps the Turbine keep cool.
Fortunately, most of the leaves are gone from the trees, so they can withstand the wind better. We have had so much heavy rain lately that the ground has reached saturation point and lots of the trees are now floating on the moss, Not only do the branches wave about but the trunks and bases move back and forth as well. It is something that takes a little getting used to, the first time that you see it.
 Five , Maybe six feet below is a flat rock extending for acres, the moss and peat pile up over the years, The seedlings grow tall and spread their root mass down to the rock and are quite stable all through the summer months, then the rain starts and the water table rises, the moss acts like a sponge,expands and the root mass leave the rock,suspended in something like a few inched to a foot of water which take time to drain away eventually, but while the trees roots are suspended, they still stay upright unless they get blown over, then the fallen trees act as stabilisers for the new growth.
 I have a pic somewhere of a bunch of trees that must have been some 30ft high before they open up like a flower and spread over a distance of 50ft+. It was quite an unique formation at that time because of the symmetry.
                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1606 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Well that was sporting!
Discovered the source of the Nile running down the hill the little flood plain leading to the coast is just that, flooded. Didnt see this on the way down as it was dark and spent the time looking out for the huge puddles on the road.  The rain was lashing down driven by gale force winds. Strangely the beach was empty wackoold and the rain eased to a medium monsoon, Elliott and I were blown up the beach to the rocks which we use as a turning point. Then the fun began,  battling back against the wind and rain. We crossed my mate and his dogs, good to meet a fellow idiot. This was the point we bottled it, and retreated through the dunes to a more sheltered route. Only had to see Elliotts face eyes screwed up to see he was having as much fun as me.
Back home shower for both of us tuck for him hot coffee for me.

We had a day out during the week over to New Quay, excellent pasties for lunch on the harbour wall, and the local dolphins put in an appearance fabulous sunny day.
Now for a shameless plug, we found Felin Ganol Watermill  http://felinganol.co.uk/ at Llanrhystud.  A working watermill since norman times in it's current guise since the 1600's, the owners believe the Romans first used the site. Wonderful machinery and excellent flour made from local wheats. They are working with the local university on developing local strains for milling. the owners Andrew & Anne are happy to show you round but call first 01974 202272.  I can confirm the wholemeal flour makes a lovely loaf.  Highlight of the week and we will now buy their flour for our bread. genuflect
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:40:28 PM by todthedog » Logged
linesrg

« Reply #1607 on: October 13, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »

Biff,

Was thinking about you and your feathered friend this morning at 0615'ish. I was loading up the car to come into town and had left the back door open. Came back to find one of our robins had obviously been attracted by the light and was fluttering around the kitchen like a mad thing. Had to 'chase' it out the kitchen and then shut the door between it and the Utility Room and then opened the Utility to Lobby door, back door and Utility Room window until they found their way out.

Silly bird.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1608 on: October 13, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »

Aye Richard ,
         They can be bold, Sometimes when Mrs Biff and I stop to talk on the front step with the front door open, Freda will just land on the top step and walk in the middle of the doorway. Not fly but just walk in the middle of the opening ,like a grande entrance. We get her out as quickly as possible, I take her feed out to the table.
On Thursday evening, just coming on dark, i was chatting to a friend his vehicle was backed up to the door of the shed and he was leaning against the rear and chatting to me on the drivers side. Freda comes walking around the other side on the ground and i pointed to her on the floor, up she hops on the mower handle and i went and fed her on the rear of the forklift. She can be very tame but this time she wanted feeding up before the storm, I left the door open for an hour afterwards and when i went to close up , she had the lot cleaned up and gone.
   The following morning the storm was going nicely not too bad,,just as I approached the shed,,a hawk rose up and got caught in a strong gust, i must have surprised it. It made a really clumsy effort in getting away. So obviously they hunt in the rough weather as well. This one was a lot bigger than a Kestrel with broad wings like a Kite. I cannot believe that they would hunt a Robin yet that is an area that Freda frequents. Freda is fine and is eating away not a bother. If this is not living on the edge, i don,t know what is.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1609 on: October 13, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

I've only ever had a robin in the house once, 30+ years ago. I came downstairs into the kitchen to see a bird perched on the edge of the frying pan on the stove, (cold), pecking at the residual bits and fat from my failure to wash up. I had left the back door open all night due ventilation after to recreational excess. It took me 3 days to get rid of the mice that also walked in uninvited.
These days I tolerate spiders because they have a purpose in life, eating unwanted flying guests. Anything else can look for digs elsewhere.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1610 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »

Callum came and went,
                           The leaves swirled and continued to leave the trees for days afterwards, every leaf was a Freda. The Autumnal colors lack the rustic red needed to hide her in the blackthorn. So she had numerous feasts on top of the tank that house the batteries for the Turbine winch,
   Sunday, a day of rest but not for me, I resolved to send up our turbine and with everything organised and ready, good guys, taped turnbuckles and a weight on the safety rope up she went into the blue but not before I discovered that the plug on the joystick cable connection, were shorting inside. I took the opportunity to strip down all the connections on the winch, wire brush them, slather them in grease, reconnect and slather them again, as I sat on my chair at the foot of the pine winch tree,with Freda looking on. The faulty joystick cable was easy rectified. I went to the box that the winch came in a few years ago and took out the remote control. This is a dangerous article and that is why it was hidden away in the depth of the garage. There is a switch on the side of the remote to cut the power but it can easily be switched on accidentally. The remote can work from over 50 ft away, so it was necessary to remove the battery and seal the lot in a clear plastic container. There is of course a 400amp iso switch from the batteries but the joystick was safer and reacted quicker. Anyhow, it is all hunky dory now and when i get a proper joystick cable and plug organised, the remote will go back into hiding with the batteries removed once again. The winch would actually pull the concrete anchors up or pull the winching tree down, sh*tfan.
    Yesterday,s gales seem to have gathered up the leaves in piles, The Sally leaves that survive Callum relented to the gales yesterday. The place is looking sad and destitute, It is that time of year,, Cry Cry Cry Now they are getting ready for Christmas as if we had not enough trouble .  To the grindstone.
                                     Biff    
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:07:52 AM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107 [108]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: