navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 323157 times)
camillitech

« Reply #1635 on: November 17, 2018, 06:04:52 AM »

Aye Biff, apart from me old Land Rover, I finished with diesels when they went 'common rail' and started fitting DPF's far, far too complicated and fussy about their fuel. Before that we always had diesel cars, wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now. As for the pollution issue, that was known about before all the 'hoo haa' and VW 'dieselgate', it's always been about the way efficiency and emissions are measured rather than the actual diesel engine itself or its manufacturer. Same with washing machines and many appliances, it's all about meeting set criteria rather than actual efficiency.

Clear starry sky here and it's 12 friggin degrees outside at 6:00AM !!! it was 17.6 degrees at Kinlochewe on Thursday (warmest place in Britain and only 20 mils from here). Even in Thursday's storm it was 15 degrees on Raasay, it wasnae that warm in the summer!!!! Methinks global warming is happening quicker than we think  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1636 on: November 17, 2018, 09:37:19 AM »

"Methinks, global warming is happening quicker than we think"
   Absolutely Paul,
        The temperature was supposed to drop dramatically today but it is still warm out there with a strong wind blowing from the south. I detect buds growing on our young sycamore trees. I hope we do not have a repeat of last year where the blossoms were all killed off by frost in May and then drought that lasted for 5 weeks. Our prized Bramley tree never recovered and it,s apples weighed half of what they should have. Oddly enough, we had two other cooker trees that produced excellent crops of apples like they never did before. We had two good trees of eating apples. It is a kind of pot luck really but there are definite changes in the seasons.
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1637 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »

Aye Biff, there's some rhododendron back out in bloom here too. Bonny, bonny day here without a breath of wind, Donald out fishing on a Saturday!!!! (not like him  Grin ) and some clam divers working away in the sunshine  Cool

Changed days indeed.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:07:56 AM by camillitech » Logged

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1638 on: November 18, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

Brilliant sunshine here ,
                     With a cool breeze from the south. I spent the morning putting the finishing touches to the 12volt charger framework. Rustoleum slatered on everywhere and left to dry for a few hours.
  Freda appeared to have put on a lot of weight. We had not seen her for a good 48 hours or so. We were a little worried but there she was hopping around the floor of the shed more wild than ever.
But there she was none the worse, in fact looking more robust than usual,,She kept her distance and I understood and got back to by futtering. Sometime later she flew in the door again,,landed next to me and of course I supplied more cheese. Then Mrs Biff came down to let me know that lunch was ready and said that Freda was following and there was herself landing on the charger engine and hopping and stumbling over my tools on the bench,,She has lost some weight,,all rather quickly but this was definitely Freda with the way that she had of running about the place and getting very close to me,,quite fearless and trusting,,So out with the cheese container and more cheese on the edge of the forklift..Freda ate like she was starving and then Mrs Biff and I realised that perhaps i could have been feeding several Robins. Freda is very inquisitive and when you speak to her,,her head tilts sideways and she chirps back at you. The others don,t hang around long enough to do that, hysteria. Imagine being conned by a bunch of Robins..? They probably have their own little Teamsters and Robins union and agree among themselves how to play it with Freda coming in last, knowing she would never go hungry. They is no doubt about it. They are a foxy clever lot.
                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1639 on: November 18, 2018, 02:02:14 PM »

We harvested about 100kg of cooking apples this year with at least another 30kg lost due to winds. All from just 4 trees. But the 8 eaters produced next to nothing.

Plenty of cider on the go again. And I am planning a heavy pruning this year.

Volunteer moderator
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1640 on: November 18, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »

Maybe you would post a pic of your pruning Ted,
                                 It is something that I have to do myself and I am loath to make mistakes. I always thing that any pruning that I did in the past left the trees in a worst state than ever,
   I definitely need to prune our plum tree. So all advice and help would be much appreciated .
                                             Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1641 on: November 18, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »

Difficult in a photo Biff. Go to YouTube, type in Stephen Hayes pruning a Bramley, 3 videos.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1642 on: November 18, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »

Thanks Stann,
                 I will do that.
                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1643 on: November 18, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »

We had a beautiful red sunset,
                            Its cold like it should be. Our garden was filled with all kinds of small birds and Freda and Co had stern competition. The finches are not to be bullied away by mere Robins so Tonight I left her sulking in the shed after stuffing her face once again in the dark. I may not be able to see her or hear her but Angel can point her our in seconds, so I aim my camera where Angel points and sometimes i get her spot on.
Like here. Unfortunately she is quite blind after each flash and blunder about the place like a bull in a china shop but still she gets there
She had to clamber over my arm to get to the cheese,

The Robin pointer, We left Freda behind in the dark. Her eyes will become accustomed quite quickly and she knows where the fly window is.
                       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1644 on: November 27, 2018, 08:59:45 AM »

Lots of storms about,
                         Today, Tomorrow and Friday. Very unsettled. We have had some good dry sunny weather here. We avoid the local news and wonder at the state of California, The dust storms in China, The mud floods and land slides all over the planet. Nature is wreaking revenge for our incredibly bad management. California was a laid back place when John Sutter decided to shack up there. There were no politics just happy easy going Californios who traded with the missions in both Los Angels and San Francisco. Old Jed Smith was arrested by the Spanish authorities for being a spy but an English ship Captain called Cooper bailed him out with a good reference. Before the gold was discovered it was an incredible place with all the resources to make life a pleasure.
  The small Town of Paradise sums it up. Paradise is no more. Yet Paradise was not always Paradise. At one time people struggled to leave the place. It was known then as Poverty Ridge. Full of gamblers ,,loan sharks and people down on their luck. It summed up the early California where people on the run flocked to escape the law back east. A Swiss bankrupt was the first known estate agent but unlike eastern Estate agents he was giving away tracts of land with the promise of jobs and free food to attract the settlers. The early settlers had to survive the trek from St Louis through the wilds to reach Sutter. To survive they had to kill one another and eat one another. Most of them owed their lives to the native Indians along the route. Paradise was a logging camp sometimes known as Leonard,s Ridge or Pair O Dice.
   Not too far south, Marshall discovered Gold. The Irish famine was in full swing and other global upheavals supplied the thousands of hopeful souls who snaked across America from the East to the West in search of good fortune. Britain had it,s eye on California but the US beat them too it and with 600 US citizens, took it over to the satisfaction of the Local easy going Californios. Bill Mullholland, from Belfast engineered the water from The Owen Valley River. The story of that River and the Farmers who tilled the land on it,s banks is quite a story in it,s own right.
   They say that the rich fertile ground in the breadbasket states of America came from the super volcano in Yellowstone ,600,000 years ago.
  The only thing that you learn from history is that given a chance, it will repeat itself repeatedly. Reading Steinbeck as a kid, researching the Lettuce Strike, one could not help to be drawn in by it all.
 Steinbeck was my hero. A very human person who could fault himself as easy any anyone else. His Grapes Of Wrath cost him dear for many years. It offended everybody which meant that it had to be good. Occasionally, I pull out one of his books and marvel at his timeless writing. The others became maudling oldies. Even Hemingway is no longer readable. Lardner will always be good especially if you are feeling low.
     The rain is pelting down out there and a good force 8 is warming up. Good wind Turbine weather. whistlie I imagine the cells quite happily singing and fizzling away together, warm and dry and snug as bugs in rugs all 60 of them,
                                    Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1645 on: November 27, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »

Nice read Biff,

They say Yellowstone is rumbling again and another calamtious event not far away, at least in geological time, probably nowt for us old crusties to worry about right enough. Remember and tie that old tarp around yer batteries down tight, would not want it flapping in the wind and sparking  horror The lettuce strike was an interesting episode right enough, an imperialistic power bags some far flung corner of its empire then is all surprised when the locals want to have a slice of the American/UK/French/Italian/Dutch or Belgian dream  hysteria

Pure peach of day here but not for long I suspect.

Cheers, Paul

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1646 on: November 28, 2018, 09:24:51 AM »

Aye Paul.
     It's  almost  as if  my lovely  beautiful  hard working cells can understand  every word yee say. At the moment  they are loaded full to the gills and pumping the amps into the  tank immersion. Who could ask for more. The auld tarp is well tied down. Under an upturned punt and a dozen nice wooly blankets. As Rab C used to  say " Yee cannae beat the auld ways"
 Quite a storm down Bill.s neck of the  woods and even Andy is getting a fair old wind . Raasay gets it this evening . We declined it. Our hot water is warm enough as it is.
                   Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1647 on: November 28, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »

Warm wet and breezy. I expect it will get light soon.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
camillitech

« Reply #1648 on: November 28, 2018, 11:07:57 AM »

Just fresh here and no more but we're sheltered from the east and south, supposed to be pishing with rain too but no sign yet. To be honest it wouldn't go amiss, one of me hydro turbines ran out of water a couple of days ago!!!! Unheard of this time of year, usually keeps going from the vernal to spring equinox or not far off, dried up in November  Shocked Still we've a steady 800W from the Powerspout and the wind turbines are going well. Solar a 'dead duck' here until next year, even with the good weather our 4.75kW array is only doing a couple of kWh per day at best  Cry I suppose that's the price I pay for being sheltered from the south and east  Sad

Spoke too soon, just went out to the shed to check the temp of me reserve batteries, a nice 15 degrees, relaxing next to the freezer, inverter and dump load  fingers crossed! Feck the 'old ways' Biff, I got soaked in the pishing rain just going to see them  Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1649 on: November 28, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »

Very rough at the moment. It must be gusting force 8+.
 The shed is noisy. It creaks and clanks.  This music is accompanied  by a sudden rumble  from the roller door every few minutes. I can block it out but the air is full of moisture and my measuring  and planning  can wait till another day. Freda has been missing  since 10 am .yesterday. I have left stuff hidden for her but I lifted this evening. It should calm down enough tomorrow  for her to  make it into the  shed.
          Biff.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:48:27 AM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: