navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 245030 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1650 on: November 29, 2018, 07:08:55 AM »

Rough old night. When the wind reaches a certain speed it starts to give off a low moan. Elliott really does not like this, so at 3am he jumped up on the bed for company. In itself no problem but at each sound he tries to bury his head next to yours, so a bit weary this morning. Local walk at 6 this morning very wet and noisy, he has no fear when outside very strange. Would love to do our beach walk when the weather is wild, winter but the car is at the doctors for a couple of days.
Looks like Paul is going to cop it worse than us.
camillitech

« Reply #1651 on: November 29, 2018, 07:46:56 AM »

Aye Tod,

was pretty fresh here thorough the night and I had dug trouble too,

Wee dug is wearing the 'collar of shame' in attempt to stop her licking an infected foot and she was up and down all night shaking her head. No rain here yet, though there was plenty yesterday which brought hydro turbine two back online. Gonna 'bail out' shortly and head sowf to Glasgow, got a 'security awareness' course tomorrow  Roll Eyes wasted on me but I got a ticket to see Groove Armada on Friday night  extrahappy

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1652 on: December 03, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »

Hopefully we will get some solar power today,
                                            Yesterday was a day of windless fog until darkness fell, Then the wind got up for a few hours and the turbine did the business. Next Friday,s weather forecast is the most brutal one to date. The Red comes ashore near "Donegal,s" patch and I hope he lowers his Turbine like I will. It is possible that the chart will change but the area of red showing is so massive that we are very unlikely to escape it. Even Andy will come under severe storms at noon on Friday. Billi down in Cork will apparently get the worst of it again. Raasay will get it,s share.
     The current political climate which thankfully never discuss here on Navitron is giving rise to some of the most virulent writings of modern times. Blistering ,Pain inflicting, Searing ,Stark yet brilliant . And yet it is good to remember that our journalists can still be free to voice their opinions with disdain and satire and not end up in pieces in acid baths. So there is hope for us all.
  Writers and Journalists find it impossible to maintain the constant sharp edge or peaks. They have highs and lows. A the moment Stewart Lee is once again,riding the crest of literary satire excellence and nobody is spared, One cannot deny the gift. Democracy has to be good.
   The sun has just come out to play among the fruit trees. Freda will be in need of her daily doses of crumbled cheddar. I believe i am now feeding at least 3 robins posing as Freda but the genuine Freda is unmistakable. She flies like a small round rock with wings and lands in a bundle. not the greatest flier and to think that one time I believed that she had flown up from southern Spain when in fact she had just been chucked out of the nest, twenty yards from our house and left to fend for herself. I hope I will never be foolish enough to claim to be an expert on Robins. She seems to be doing quite well for herself.
   The Shed of dreams calls, Angel and I have wood to cut. Robins to feed. the other birds seem to managed quite well left to manage the bird baskets hanging on the fruit trees but the Robins get mugged by the finches and wagtails. My small canister of shopped cheddar is ready, Hi Ho,,Hi Ho.
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1653 on: December 03, 2018, 10:12:26 AM »

Methinks democracy is overated Biff, just look at the clown that “The shrine of democracy” eletcted  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
donegal

« Reply #1654 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:26 PM »

The Red comes ashore near "Donegal,s" patch and I hope he lowers his Turbine like I will. It is possible that the chart will change but the area of red showing is so massive that we are very unlikely to escape it. Even Andy will come under severe storms at noon on Friday. Billi down in Cork will apparently get the worst of it again. Raasay will get it,s share.

Right enought Biff, that looks like a bad one, and passing directly over us on some charts.  i was relucatant to drop the turbine after a few months of south / south east wind which im fairly sheltered from,  but it looks severe.  Im going keep an eye on things until closer and try and hit the calm spell before it.

Thanks
T
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1655 on: December 03, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Believe it or not Donegal,
                      The whole Met map has changed completely since I last posted this morning. The Met Ladies must know about me and just did that to put the wind up me. Either that or they were all hitting the frobscottle over the weekend. So Friday looks tame once again. No bad thing.
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
donegal

« Reply #1656 on: December 03, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »

From a strong gale to a strong breeze in 3 hours on yr.no,  ill be quite happy with a strong breeze.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1657 on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:44 PM »

The Forecast is once again showing quite bad for Our neck of the woods T,
                                           It starts around 11pm tomorrow night, blowing from the south. By 6am Friday morning id is blowing at least a force 8 directly in from the west. By midnight Friday, the wind has swung round from the North West but not blowing as strong. However, It is quite unpredictable and the heavy winds return again on Saturday at noon blowing in from the west again. Then from the South.
   There have been several different forecasts pitched on the outcome of this but it really no guarantee that this will not spiral into a 3 day storm. It has all the ingredients.
     There is a window of calm tomorrow afternoon but again maybe tomorrow morning the forecast might show the lot cleared away to nothing but a breeze.I am going by the 5 day Met Eireann weather forecast map. Generally speaking they are pretty good. Galway and Cork get it worse than Donegal for a longer period of time from Tomorrow to Sunday morning after 6am,
 Thankfully it is not as bad as the original forecast but because of the different wind directions switching back and forth in such short periods of time and unpredictability of it all, it is impossible to be sure just how wicked if will be. I intend to wait till tomorrow dinner time and then have another look at the map before I make up my mind wheither to lower of not. There is nothing really bad at the moment but it is blowing over 3 days and changing directions 3 times, Lowering takes less than 5 minutes. Raising is even quicker.
                                                               Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1658 on: December 06, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »

I waited until after 12 noon,
                        The wind was still boring in from the west but there was supposed to be a lull. 4pm came and no lull. 5pm came and no lull, in fact the wind was picking up and driving directly against the direction of the winch. There was a heavy gallon jar of wet washed sand weighed to the safety rope a good 30kgs easily but not enough to satisfy my concerns. I loosed the rope at the bottom of the tower that anchors the weight on the safety rope, It can go up and down on a pulley. I increased the weight to the same again and sent it up. Everything was ready. It would be the very first time that I used the remote control in a serious operation. It was absolutely brilliant. Apart from the slight little delayed action switch in and switching out, I realise that this is what I should have been doing from day one.
   The Beeb forecast is for winds of 70mph however it has the potential to get a lot worse. Ironically ,the map after 6pm shows a less dangerous set of winds but that can change very very quickly and the trouble lowering the tower could get that bit too dangerous. So down it came. With 2 ton of Lead acid ,we are not in a hurry to start up the geni anytime soon. Everything is cool.  flyingpig
                                                         Biff 
     As the winch spooled out the cable, my headlight picked up a curve of about 1ft at least in a normally taunt cable between the winching tree and the tower top, So The weights that I added was just OK.
  Next time If I am faced with ta similar situation, i will add at least 100kgs.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1659 on: December 07, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »

It was pretty  rough around 6am
          This morning our bank is sitting at 130v and the prop is spinning  weightless in the steady push from the west. Braking is calm and barely noticible.
The map shows the entire west coast in red for 100s of miles out into the Atlantic. It is all even and steady but breaks up sometime late this evening. This is a 3 day affair but mostly concentrated from Galway down to  Cork.That can change very very quickly.
  The remote  control for the winch proved to be a very handy help. Like an extra man. I could stand beside the trestle  in the dark and lower the turbine down exactly into the right spot and height on the trestle. No guessing involved. And to think that I kept it locked away in the shed for over 2 years to fiddle and faff with a joystick.
So far so good.
     Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1660 on: December 07, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »

It is approaching 6pm and the storm is still as bad as ever,
                                         We have had heavy hail and express trains passing ,shaking the place,. Around 11am the air pressure in our bedroom was changing with the force of the wind from the west. I would say there must be quite a bit of damage done locally. It,s constant strong wind and violent heaves are quite something. Luckily the leaves are all gone from the trees but the ground is totally saturated and there will definitely be trees down tomorrow. We have no picture on the telly. However the Turbine is delivering the amps and we don,t have to go outside to start the geni. It is supposed to ease off at midnight but the yellow is still well inland and the red will still be out in the Atlantic with the wind from the west.
                                  Biff
      Just been out for a very quick walk with Angel. This would be the worst storm we have had for a few years. With the wind from the west,it meets us head on. Out Turbine is going at a ferocious lick and heating the water 10ft from the ground, freeze
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:58:08 PM by biff » Logged

offthegridandy

« Reply #1661 on: December 07, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »

Hi Biff, glad to hear your all right .  It's bitchin through here right now with icy rainy to sweeten it up. NB mods, for the record "bitchin through here" has been a unofficial Beaufort scale  reading (>8)for brown trouser weather.

I went out at 6.30 PM to go to town for a takeaway. There were 2 off 60ft oaks down in the woods  luckily gone over away from my track.  Not my wood either; shame.

Keep safe.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1662 on: December 07, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »

Still going hammers and tongs here Andy,
                                      Mrs Biff says that this is one of the worst we have had for quite a while. It should be easing off between midnight and 6am tomorrow morning, however it gets going again before noon. The red comes ashore over north Wales "After" midnight, moving north but pushing due west. It is a crazy muddle but the wind is set to blow from the west until Monday morning when it swings down from the north. Galway and Cork seem to be getting it much worse than we are and for longer periods.
  At the moment the whole west coast of Ireland is in the red and again stretching out into the Atlantic for 100s of miles. Raasay will be getting a touch by now. We are also having very heavy rain at the moment as well. The rain is hitting the veluxs like firemens hoses. Just like a deluge. I like the rain on the Turbine, It is just what it needs to cool it. It is clocking 141vdc at the moment steady. I am so glad I lowered our turbine. I have no doubt that it could ride out the storm but the amount of thrashing it would have had to have endured would shorten it life and be of no benefit to us.
       Take care,
                        Biff

donegal

« Reply #1663 on: December 07, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »

Well,

Despite the warnings , i never got the chance to take our down and was away all day until now,  its merilly spinning away and
the hot water is at 89 deg   horror.

T
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1664 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »

Hi T.
       If you are worried  about the hot water coming out of the Tap in scalding steam. You can run it off down the sink for 5 mins or so. The high winds are due to slack off in another few hours but get going again after 12 noon tomorrow.
   Take care
            Biff

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: