navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 284119 times)
eabadger

« Reply #1695 on: December 24, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »

unusually warm here today
happy Christmas to you

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1696 on: December 24, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »

A very happy Christmas to all
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1697 on: December 31, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »

Our Turbine is doing well,
                      Cutting the mustard very well, Our wind supply has been excellent and now the days are beginning to get longer..noticeable longer. We have also had a few dry days which makes a great difference. At 10 degrees the weather is warm, Christmas came and went, quiet and civilised but flu laden.  Loads of hot drinks and bed was the only answer. Answering the phone with a croaky throat and a blocked nose is not recommended. My projects sit unfinished. I am banned from the shed of dreams until my flu clears up.
Freda is still chirpy and bold. She has Angel and I well figured out now. In another 3 hours we will be into 2019.
    From Little Patagonia on the edge of the Atlantic, A very Happy and Prosperous New Year from Mr and Mrs Biff, Angel and Freda.
                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1698 on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »

Have a good one yerself Biff and sorry to hear about the flu, it seems to be doing the rounds here too, it's a real bummer at this time of year, usually end up with 'man flu' at least meself. Seem to have got away with it this time though, at least for now. Both turnips here 'cutting the mustard' too, batteries sat at 22 degrees in the shed thanks to the big Proven and the wee one has done 40kWh today.

Same here, unusually mild at 10 degrees plus with the sea still at 8 degrees  Shocked, wind veered to the NW now and a more sedate speed. Might even get out for a spot of clam diving with my boy in the New Year  bike

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
supremetwo

« Reply #1699 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »

Our robins are upset today.

A xxxx squirrel has squeezed through the mesh of my small-bird feeding cage and gobbled up most of the fat balls.
I knew that baby tree-rats could get through but this was a big one.

I'll have to get the squirrel trap out and prepare it with peanut bait.

Happy New Year to All (except squirrels!).

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1700 on: January 01, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »

A very happy new year to one and all.
So mild this morning a fabulous sunrise on the beach. I have a very tired collie needed a leg up into the boot an hour and a half chasing his mates chasing a ball.
I actually like the squirrel that comes to visit the bird table. His ingenuity amuses me.

Sorry to hear about the flu Biff get well soon.
djs63

« Reply #1701 on: January 01, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »

Get well soon Biff. Here in the UK us old ones can have a free flu jab which reduces the odds of developing flu. Unrelated, at the age of 70 we can have a shingles vaccination and shingles is horrible and it goes on for months. Clothes annoy the skin and.....  I gather that it is available in the US but I don’t know about France and Ireland etc, it probably is.  It is worth it. So is the flu jab!

Anyway, Biff, I hope that you are being a model patient, doing as you are told and that it is over soon. It is a horrible time of year to catch flu, never a good time though.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1702 on: January 26, 2019, 04:31:54 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words and my apologies for the delay in answering,
                          The flu hung around long enough but i do have a very good doctor . I should have got the flu jab but passed up on it. I was told that when the flu cleared up i was to go and get the jab and not delay.Apparently there are several different strains doing the rounds. We have an excellent health service here. I mean locally. I am not sure about down south but here in the Bluestacks we are fortunate indeed.
  We have a serious blow coming in from the Atlantic anytime now. i only got home from a week break last night and my few posts have been done on the small phone screen. This storm is supposed to kick off before 6pm and it is now 4,45pm and calm as can be. So our turbine is lowered and will be back up again tomorrow afternoon.
  This remote control is really cool, no running about like a headless chicken,,I can check the tension on the guys with one hand and push the button with the other genuflect
                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1703 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »

The sounds bark and clank across the frozen still earth,
                                           The sun struggles to rise behind the Derries, poking through the blackened branches against the snow. There is life after all. Angel is jaunty and skips her 6 years across the frozen grass. Its dry underfoot. billions of diamonds decorate the car roof. As we walk the white store glows like gold. The sun is winning. I call Freda and within seconds her rock like flight zooms across and lands like a rock among the stalks of the raspberry canes. She would hock all her family heirlooms for a meal of crumbled Ardagh cheddar. We discuss the cold snap for a few moments  I note the look of alarm in her eyes as I replace the cheese container in my pocket,  and then we leave her to it. She seems to have come to a very satisfactory arrangement with Angel. It is true that birds feed fish but it is also true that robins feed dogs for whatever prehistoric reason god only knows but Angel has come to accept the titbits that Freda chucks over the rear of the forklift and waits patiently for them,sitting looking up. I would have though that it would have been the other way around but then the occasion never arose or at least Angel,s memory can be conveniently lax. Our senior Robin (Fatboy) has not called at our meeting place lately. He is very reserved and quiet. very fond of crumbled cheese. He has gone missing before but this time the cold weather might keep him.
Our house controller is breathing hard and the days solar harvesting is now going full throttle. Our turbine is resting. I have grown to love this machine and think of it as a good friend who cuts the mustard when the weather turns bad and fills the bank,heats the water while we sleep. My visits to the shed are only to cut wood for our wood burning stove which I can claim is fully compliant with any climate ( whistlie)rules, being less than 12% moisture. I have to keep the stove fully shut down and the wood packet tight together. you will know that you are burning the right stuff when the glass clears and stays clear. My projects are on hold. I built a model of 180amp x 14v chargers in wood in the downstairs lounge and hopefully in another few weeks i will convert the setup to steel. It is not a bad idea because you can see at a glance exactly how much room you have and see where the stress points are. I strive to make things smaller and lighter but always end up in the opposite corner.
Spring creeps that little bit closer. It will be March in a few weeks and controllers will be playing up but not mine. Oh No, I passed a law forbidding such nonsense. These nights we still manage to keep above the magic 124vdc under load at midnight so our old bank is still content to battle on heroically..
   Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1704 on: February 01, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »

The peanuts and fatballs here are in 2 anti-squirrel cages hanging from a 4ft post, right outside the window where I sit. There are 2 types that feed here. The gangs of various tits and nuthatches which work the food and those which bounce around on the grass underneath. The latter make a good living from the fragments of nut inadvertently thrown over the sides. They include a pair of blackbirds and 3 robins which all have red breasts and look the same. Two are definitely a pair but the third holds his ground within a yard of the others and with only the occasional chase.
A robin is the first to enter the peanut feeder in the gloom of daybreak but its beak seems poorly adapted to extract nut, so it friggs around. The nuthatches’ aim is to transfer peanuts to places of safe keeping.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1705 on: February 09, 2019, 12:22:53 AM »

Serious wind and rain here from Erik,
                              Started around 6.30 pm and gradually got worse as the evening progressed. Express trains etc etc, very strong winds that make walking about just too dangerous. we were well prepared. our turbine picked up the wind from the right direction around 7pm and has been going full throttle since, plenty of hot water  hysteria it is even circulation to the bottom of the tank which means well over the force 8 mark. Goodness If I am filling the clock at 10ft above the ground in what I would call a semi sheltered spot, Then T,s turbine must be producing awesome output. A dangerous wind alert went out at 10pm which does not give us much time. I can only assume some red has changed course off shore and paid us a visit. The rain is good to see. It keeps the turbine nice and cool so no worries there. According to the chart this blow should be gone by 6am lets hope so. Everyplace gets a fair old hammering with this one.
                                                                    Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1706 on: February 09, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »

Aye Biff,

XC was spectacularly wrong here 'eye of the storm' my foot, ole Erik gave us a right pasting. The 19 knot average forecast was hitting 60 at times on the bridge, last two sailings cancelled and me home for 18:30. The Speedwell thought better of it and abandoned her mooring for the safety of the pier.

Seems to have moved round to the north west now judging by the rain on the windows. No idea of the strength cos me anemometer seems to have died during the night. Better get me oilskins on and head off to work  fingers crossed!

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1707 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »

Indeed a tad breezy. Rain slashing against the windows, a collie seeking refuge between the sleeping humans. Or taking advantage  Grin
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1708 on: February 09, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »

That really was rough walking the dogs. There’s a Bergey on the hill which first goes through bouts of resonance and then sounds like the clattering of a muck spreader. Mind you the sheep are still grazing under it. At another exposed spot, there is a fresh big bale of hay but the flock is out of sight, somewhere calmer.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1709 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »

Whew,
      It was a rough night. For a little while before 2am the wind was tapping on our roof tiles. I sat at the bottom of the stairs in the dark with Angel waiting for the house controller to ease off. The fans had been buzzing non stop all night and early morning and were just beginning to hesitate occasionally. I had tried to let Angel out for a quick one . I opened the front door and she dived out into the dark. I stepped out wrapped up in my anorak, hood up over my cap and the front zipped up trapping my cap on top of my head.. That always worked before but not this time. The wind was ferocious and before I could even get off the top step, it sucked up the hood and my cap flew out and spiraled in the air around the street with Angel in hot pursuit which she abandoned very quickly and made a beeline for the door,
So we sat in the dark and around 2,25 am the pressure on the controller showed signs of easing off. Angel did her business pronto but we both got soaked in a deluge of very large raindrops..
  dried down and fast asleep. She looks like a sack of spuds but her head is resting on her batman toy and the camera don,t do her gut any favors. Before I went to sleep I noted there was no lights to be seen anywhere so the local power supply guys will be out in force today.
. This is not as daft as it seems. The tail gets lifted up in the sudden gusts and the Turbine which spins fast creates its own little gravity zone and absorbs any sudden movements , So it gently tips the nosecone to the ground as the tail goes horizontal in the wind and this assists the braking and stops it from being fried.
 The only problem is that it forces the tower base back, I normally tie it but yesterday i was rather lax and let it go to clock up a few extra amps. In cases like this I lock the front gate so nobody can accidentally wander near it in the dark and get a free haircut.. sh*tfan:So I will be raising it shortly and hopefully all will return to normal. We have had no local news at all so we have no idea of any damage. There was serious flooding at dinnertime yesterday, We have had torrential rain fall since that.
On our morning walk, Freda was super friendly and there was plenty of happy birdsong. We have another team of daft blackbirds on the upper lawn.
                            Biff

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: