navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 294744 times)
linesrg

« Reply #1710 on: February 09, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

Much more fun experienced at sea at on AHTS boat off the Dunlin platform.................... no prizes for guessing where I am.

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1711 on: March 01, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »

Serious bad wind is forecat for our west coast. North west coast. The south of England. Wales and the Western Isles gets a right shot as well late Saturday and Sunday morning.
  Ours kicks off before 6am tomorrow morn. Supposed to be calm this evening so will lower our baby around 4ish.
Winds of 70 to 80 mph forecast.  freeze freeze sh*tfan sh*tfan
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1712 on: March 02, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »

Fair old storm here at the moment.
Our fruit trees and bushes are getting  a proper hammering. Our Turbine is filling the clock. Stove closed off but going nicely . Even without the leaves on the trees the roar is deafening. Not a good night to be out and about
  Night like these we sit next to the warmth and security of the stack. I go over the 10 x 4 and the 7 x 4 double purlin in my head. The double wallplate and every 400 centre a 2 x 1 tanalised baton screwed to the top wallplate the rafter the 2nd wall plate and hiltied into every other course of blocks to the dpc. We have had storms here where the wind played the tiles like piano keys trying to pull the nails.  It is not that bad yet but we have a few more hours to go .
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #1713 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »

Hi Biff, I'm sure you'll be fine.  You've ridden out many a wild night now.  Thanks for the weather warning,##

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
camillitech

« Reply #1714 on: March 02, 2019, 11:08:03 PM »

Pretty boodly fresh here too chaps but managed to get the neighbours turbine raised to capture it  Grin The old 14 year old Proven of mine broke a spring yesterday but we managed to get it lowered late afternoon, repaired and then back up in time for the gale.

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2019/03/02/spring-hey/

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #1715 on: March 03, 2019, 07:19:24 AM »

Must have been boodly wild here through the night, me 1500lt TS is 78 degrees at the bottom  Shocked better switch the UFH on and have a shower methinks  Grin Cannae say just how windy right enough cos the Internet must have been down during the night a few times https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IHIGHLAN44#history Though to be honest me Chinese weather station does tell porkies, says it's -50 right now  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1716 on: March 03, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »

Good going Paul.
           Excellent news that you were able to  get your hands on some springs and get it fixed. I cannae deny that Proven are tops in the storms but I can say that our electricity generating score for last night would be 10 out of 10 from 10ft high. We always know when it has been over force 8. The Ashes get sucked up the chimney out of the stove with all the valves (5) shut tight. Does not happen often but when it does our from door is almost impossible to open during the heaves.
A nice civilised breeze is blowing now and shortly I will get the opportunity to play with this remote gagdet once again.
           Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #1717 on: March 03, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »

At the present, Sunday morning 10.15 AM we've steady rain and NO wind. We wos robbed!!

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1718 on: March 03, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »

Opps Sorry about the delay Andy,
                                It will be along after 6 o clock and run to 1am. freeze
                              Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1719 on: March 03, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »

I am getting the hang of this remote,
                                    Brilliant job. It makes everything so much easier. The lowering process only takes a minute now and as usual it lands on a trestle with the hub about 10ft from the ground. I don,t even have to take the covers off the winch. Raising is done in two stages and takes a little over 3 minutes.
  Also I raised it this morning with the wind blowing in from the west. Good counterweights and 4 guys holding steady from left and right. About 10ft from the vertical the pace slows down and I wait for a lull so that the tail can straighten out into the wind gently. Then full steam ahead.
                                                  Biff
    I fuss over our turbine like an old hen over an egg. But i know that I am right to look after it. With care and attention I hope to get many more years out of it. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by keeping it up to take a thrashing and no place to store the excess Energy.

camillitech

« Reply #1720 on: March 03, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »

I fuss over our turbine like an old hen over an egg. But i know that I am right to look after it. With care and attention I hope to get many more years out of it. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by keeping it up to take a thrashing and no place to store the excess Energy.

And like an old hen you'll be home every night and never stray far from the coop  hysteria Me, I'm off to sea for a fortnight so need something reliable that doesn't need fussed over. 'Horses for courses' I guess, when it's screaming a storm force ten in the Sound of Mull I want to be able to sleep knowing my own turnip 100 miles away will be 'happy as Larry'  Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1721 on: March 03, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »

"And like an old hen, You will be home every night and never stray far from the coop"
     That,s true. I do go down to the village, a few miles away, twice a week and I know that if there is the slightest of breezes,,The Y/S mills away sending the lovely amps down deep into the bank.
  Simply said, I cannae compete with such a mighty Turbine as the Proven that is built to take winds of 500 miles an hour. Yet there is profit in the small breezes that the Y/S picks up on and the Proven sits looking at. So being mindful of these facts and being much heartened by them, I am happy that you are happy that your Proven is galloping with storm on Raasay while mine is tucked up in bed asleep if the need be. Horses for course, I agree, fingers crossed!
                                 Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1722 on: March 03, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »

A damp but wind free walk this morning, now no rain yet, but blowing a gale. A bit of a breeze for Paul and Biff!  Grin
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1723 on: March 03, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »

Its heading your way Tod,
     Should be with you in another hour or so.  Its not half draughty. Grin
                              Biff freeze

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1724 on: March 04, 2019, 06:18:24 AM »

Could have been a bad hair night! Topping out at 76mph in the Mumbles. Elliotts last wee of the night was a sporting affair, neither of us was inclined to linger. Not a huge amount of rain where we are. Hope all is good folk. norfolk
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: