navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 316709 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1725 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »

You are still in for a windy week Tod.
    We seem to have got away lightly. Dublin airport was cancelling flights because of heavy snow and driving problems. Many main roads blocked with snow . This was last night with more snow forecast overnight . It looks like our early buds were foolish after all.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1726 on: March 04, 2019, 08:49:50 AM »

On the 'early buds' topic, we have hawthorn in flower locally since the end of Feb.  Not seen that before.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1727 on: March 08, 2019, 07:29:39 AM »

Wind power output here
                 Has been breaking all records and day after day our Y/S delivers near its max. We are facing into another week of more strong gales which start to increase in power at noon next Monday and really get going at noon Tuesday. I sincerely hope that the present forecasted charts change formation because this one is bad.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1728 on: March 08, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »

Aye Biff,
Itís controller busting weather here too, strong dense energy filled winds, sun and dark clouds with low PV panel temps to boost output. A good recipe for frying Morningstars et al.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1729 on: March 08, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »

Dire forecasts for the middle of next week.
Lets hope it moderates before arrival.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1730 on: March 08, 2019, 09:32:18 PM »

Yes Tod,
     It is one of these 3 day storm that exhausts everybody concerned. The charts look really nasty but hopefully it will change enough to send the dark red and purple out to sea.
  Everybody gets clobbered with this one.
  Our Turbine comes down for this one and will be tied and strapped down for the duration. Monday afternoon to Wednesday. It looks like force 10 stuff.
  We have a storm here at the moment. and it is set to ease off about 6am tomorrow morning.
  There seems to be a gap or a window tomorrow after 6pm where things ease off slightly for a few hours and I will aim to lower then.
  This one runs too long and abuses the whole Turbine for no benefit. Try and lower Your too T. It is not worth flogging the life out of it. This one could be force 11 easily.
               Biff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:33:49 PM by biff » Logged

donegal

« Reply #1731 on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:35 PM »

Good call,  theres no calm before this one on the latest forecast i have, ill keep a close eye on the forecast tomorrow
evening. ive yet to lower the turbine in anything other than dead calm, could be fun.
camillitech

« Reply #1732 on: March 09, 2019, 06:31:03 AM »

Couldn't lower my two even if I wanted, I'm 80 miles to the south in the Sound of Mull  fingers crossed! She looks a nasty one right enough with the worst of it coming off the sea to the west and north west. Hope me new solar panel ground mount is OK, I haven't finished the flashing on the exposed end  Roll Eyes

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1733 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »

The map has changed with Tuesday  being the bad day.
         A lot of the previous bad stuff seems to  be pushed farther North however Tuesday is wicked.
 There is still time for further changes. It was dead calm at 7.30am and I hopped up and out and lowered ours. Our charger is full of diesel and the blades are tied this time. I also have to get a decent  rope to tie the head of the tower to the ground because of the direction of the wind.. The whole dynamics change when the blades are tied. I sent you txt T but there is still a calm bit around 6ish today.
      Good luck in the storm folks. I see that Andy and AG also get a fair old shot. Everybody gets it this time.
Your building looks strong Paul. You will have plenty hot water.  fingers crossed!
    Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1734 on: March 09, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »

Aye Biff,

The shelter is strong enough, made out of local larch with 6*6 uprights well anchored to Scotland and 9*3 joists but that western end has no flashing on yet cos Iím gonna extend it another 3 or 6 m (1 or 2 bays). Just worried that end sheet might start flapping  Kiss Just asked a Pal to go and stick a few more screws in it and perhaps a batten on the end.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1735 on: March 09, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »

This Rugby is a horrible brutal game and should be banned immediately, stir
       In the early 70s when Gareth Edwards was cutting a swath through each and every opposite team, we used to meet up with the Welsh fans in the Belvedere Arms and party like hell. They were dozens of them crammed in there and then they would spread out to different pubs. They were big fans of our poets corner, Great singers and music mad.
 Mrs Biff worked in Jervis street. When one of the Welsh players broke his leg, He got carted off to Jervis Street ( A big shopping centre now) Hospital. He ended up marrying Mrs Biffs friend on the ward.
  Edwards was some kid in fact the whole team of that era were hard to beat. Scotland has it,s work cut out but it would not be the first time that Scotland upset the Odds, so you can never be sure until the final whistlie blows. Joking aside, the injuries these guys pick up are horrendous and they have to live with them forever. I refused to let my son play the game. No problem letting him go into the ring but being targeted on the Pitch by players who would want to limit his ability permanently was simply not an option.
   So Good luck Scotland and Good Luck Wales,  have a good one.
                               Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #1736 on: March 09, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »

Paul,  you definatley don't want to expose your end with out flashing !!

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
camillitech

« Reply #1737 on: March 09, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

Paul,  you definatley don't want to expose your end with out flashing !!

Just got a pal to go and put a few more screws in my 'end'  Grin and ratchet down me purlins

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1738 on: March 09, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »

Starts tomorrow, Tuesday night looks really horrible. sh*tfan
Stay safe chaps.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1739 on: March 10, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »

Weird weather.
      Bright sushine. Very strong  wind. Intense hail and sleet ambushes. Very hard to get the Stove going as the wind is sucking the life out of the fire . To think that we have this till Wednesday and the real wind don't get going till  Tuesday.   freeze : freeze freeze
             Biff

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: