navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 318361 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1740 on: March 10, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »

Gusting 50+mph on the beach this morning
http://www.pembreycountrypark.wales/things-to-do/cefn-sidan-beach/

Wonderful and spectacular with the sun shining,we do about 3 miles half into the gale, difficult, and blown back, easy. Elliott with two mates a reluctant whippet, and a hyper spaniel.
In and out of the sea, the spaniel chases a found tennis ball and Elliott chases the spaniel. We found 3 abandoned balls and a golf ball and rather sadly the remains of a dead calf. Not much movement since coming home completely knackered. Rest and repeat tomorrow. fingers crossed!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1741 on: March 11, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »

The weather charts have been changing rapidly,
                                      One moment it says it is all over on Wednesday, Then it changes to Tuesday with a light breeze on Wednesday, Now it is back to Wednesday and Thursday has serious wind as well.
 March was always unpredictable. We Had everything coming at us yesterday and amid all the hail and snow our solar was doing astounding stuff in between the violent showers of 10mm hail stones that rattled the house to wake the dead. The one thing missing from all this was lightening..9 times out of 10 when we would have this kind of weather lightening was never far behind but this time  ,,nowt so far.
which is good. I am not keen on that, sh*tfan
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1742 on: March 12, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »

According to the chart,
              We should be getting blown all over the place. It is windy and wet with sudden hail squalls but no more than a force 6 so far. T,s house is right next to the red from noon till midnight.
    So it has not got going yet.   At the moment we have bright sunlight with the PV sending the charge galloping into the bank. Typical March weather. The controllers are breathing hard but then they have been doing this for many years. Good luck everybody.
                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
nowty

« Reply #1743 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »

South coast getting a kicking for a change. snow

I was upstairs when I heard a crash followed by SWMBO shouting about Solar Panels. Ehhhhhhh, that does not sound good. fight

OUCH !, that looks expensive. sh*tfan

It was my own fault as I had kept thinking for the past couple of years that I needed to add more restraint to hold the panels in place but it was always tomorrows job. whistlie

Incredibly no damage to panels or cables and an hour later we are back in business with additional restraints, and just before the rain deluge came down. fingers crossed!

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1744 on: March 12, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

Glad to hear you avoided any damage Nowty.
                It's scary stuff trying to  secure them panels in the wind.
       Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1745 on: March 12, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »

I'm not saying it's blowing hard here in The Sound of Mull but,

the water is going uphill  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1746 on: March 12, 2019, 03:42:55 PM »

Wow Paul,
      That is nasty. You will hardly believe this but there is sand  and gravel in that water. It will burn the grass and damage the grazing. It will stunt growth until the salt is washed farther down into the earth.
  I had a cousin who had a small twenty acre farm by the beach. When he woke in the morning after a particularly bad storm he was over 10 acres short. The land was still there but covered under thousands of tons of gravel and sand. It was the worst night he ever spent in his life. He and his wife and kids spent the night terrified with blasts of sand and gravel hitting their house, breaking the slates and windows facing the beach. Six weeks later he was on the boat for England.
  I was out with the lamp and Lady my little deerhound lurcher A bit of wind is good. Bunny will sit with his back to you sniffing into it and the lamp beam is hardly needed. That night I saw grass being rolled up like carpet and large 9" dallions being washed up onto the grass, rolling for 100s of yards across the warren. just like bowls. But the rolls of sod was a first time for me. I had got caught out and was sheltering down behind a group of large upright stones. Lady had begun barking at these rolls of sods that were mysteriously rolling back from the beach head and only coming to a stop when they bumped into the rows of upright stones near where we were sheltering. She was starting to panic and I put her on the lead because once she would get blown over , I feared that she would take off running and kill herself. She was quite highly strung. I had real difficulty getting back to my car that night and evening opening the door was a massive challenge.I only had a mile and a half to travel home but it was littered with broken branches. That would have been 1986 or thereabout but I thought I saw it all that night. There is wind and there is wind but thank god we don,t get many Hurricanes like Charlie.
   One of the side effects is the white foot deep foam that stays on the land for weeks and weeks. It must be the sea weeds being beat up and whipped up. It is very dirty and unpleasant. The storm whips it up further and carries it inland to stick to anything and turn dark after a few days.
    It was a great reminder that nature was boss. This same place was where i used to take my kids swimming. Beautiful white beaches and pristine water. peaceful and quiet, but not that night.
                   Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1747 on: March 12, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »

Blimey Paul surrender
Its been rough but not in that league.
Take care

Westie

« Reply #1748 on: March 12, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »

Nice story Bif, I think the scariest weather related moment I've ever had was walking up the access road to the main substation for the hotmill in Llanwern steel works, the wind was howling straight at us enough to have to lean into it.  There was a hell of a racket up ahead and three full length sheets of steel cladding peeled of the mill roof , came down onto the road ahead  tumbling end over end  toward us, needless to say I'd never run as fast as that in my life before and, fortunately, after. sh*tfan

PS. Bif , what's a 'dallion' Huh

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1749 on: March 12, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

Hi Westie.
Dallions are the large smooth stones that sit up at the top of the beach normally.  You can tell if your coast is facing the rough side because the tide has been strong enough to lash them up high and strand them. We always called any smooth round stones over 50mm on the beach a dallion.
There was a time about 30 years ago that loads of them were used  in land drainage above and round the yellow perforated 4" pipe. Mostly the 50mm ones. Then the law made it a criminal offense.
       Biff
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:55:50 PM by biff » Logged

donegal

« Reply #1750 on: March 12, 2019, 10:46:18 PM »

Thats a wild night, just a constant howl of wind,  i took the advice and dropped the turbine on saturday morning as i
knew i wouldnt get time afterwards, and im glad i did. 

I see one of my trees lost a bough this evening, and that was before the storm really kicked off.

hopefully we'll be back to just a nice windy day tomorrow.

what's a 'dallion' Huh,  is this the same as a Durling ?

T
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1751 on: March 12, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »

Still going hammers and tongs up here.
Dallions are nice smooth round stone. Possible ashlar or granite.
  Durlings can be round and smooth as well until you put a ring on their finger.
              Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1752 on: March 13, 2019, 05:21:00 AM »

Still going hammers and tongs up here.
Dallions are nice smooth round stone. Possible ashlar or granite.
  Durlings can be round and smooth as well until you put a ring on their finger.
              Biff

hysteria  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1753 on: March 13, 2019, 06:05:53 AM »

hysteria facepalm hysteria

camillitech

« Reply #1754 on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »

Funny that Biff, in these parts ashlar is a finished square stone of any type rather than a beach stone. Raasay House (a Georgian mansion here) is finished in ashlar and in that application itís a white sandstone which, along with all the topsoil for the gardens was imported from Ireland!!!  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashlar

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: