navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 316215 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1755 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:05 AM »

Absolutely very little to do with high winds but a bit to do with the coast.
I watched this with Dr Tori Herridge an evolutionary biologist, who works for the natural history museum. This is about a meteor that crashed in Scotland.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/walking-through-time

You learn something everyday Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1756 on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »

Indeed Tod.
        And maybe I was working  next to a lump of Mars all the time. I could have been lifted by aliens and dumped back again. This would make perfect sense and explain a lot  freeze.
         Biff
 I'm am going to avoid the word ASHLAR in future. It just goes to show you how a perfect person like me can still show genuine human failings.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:40:19 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #1757 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

more importantly biff... did you use your new engine driven 12v charger to power ithe winch?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1758 on: March 13, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »

Hi Knights.
        The answer is no. I just used the small 12amp charger and everything went smoothly.
I have heavy duty push fit Anderson type  connectors all set up but did not want my machine to get wet. hysteria. It was bucketing down.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1759 on: March 14, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »

What a March so far. garden
           Record breaking constant strong winds and set to continue right through to Saturday  morning where we will get a few hours rest till noon and off we go again full pelt till Monday which gives for a wind free day.
        Biff

knighty

« Reply #1760 on: March 14, 2019, 08:07:44 AM »

Hi Knights.
        The answer is no. I just used the small 12amp charger and everything went smoothly.
I have heavy duty push fit Anderson type  connectors all set up but did not want my machine to get wet. hysteria. It was bucketing down.
       Biff

awww, I've been waiting for you to use it.... to post saying the winch went so fast the turbine and mast were catapulted off into the distance and you're going to go look for it tomorrow :-o
camillitech

« Reply #1761 on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:35 AM »

Three fifty two AM, sat in caravan at Sconser Ferry Terminal on Skye and it's boodly scary, hardly slept a wink here. The weather station at home is only giving 56knots but it feels like double that here. Caravan is on it's jacks firmly attached to the car but bits are flying off it  Shocked One dug shaking in the footwell of the Subaru and the other was under the bedsheets with me.

Molly will be the Jack Russell that won't even come in the bed if you drag her, Leah the Lab terrified won't even come out of the car  Grin Just been outside to recover me bits of caravan amongst the flying wheelie bins and I can hardly stand up, sign says 'Sailings likely to be disrupted due to weather' and it's supposed to get worse in an hour or two  Shocked Time for a large vodka and orange methinks  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1762 on: March 22, 2019, 06:04:10 AM »

Just grey and dismal here. 
Take care Paul.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1763 on: March 22, 2019, 06:10:36 AM »

Quite bad here as well.
           Controller breathing hard but everything steady and weighed down from the last blow.  Never known a time like it . Not right done with one storm and we are into another one .
      Biff
 It was a 100 mph wind that struck Africa and flooded and area of 200sq mile the scale of the destruction is planet changing on an environmental scale. The winds are getting more frequent and stronger all over.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:23:28 AM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #1764 on: March 22, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »

Well,the vodka worked a treat, slept like a log until 7:20, wind eased but truly pishing down  Grin Dug still snoring but no sign of the ferry  Cry

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1765 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »

More strong wind,
                     I would say a good force 8. piping hot tanks and house toasty roasty. I was trying to work in the shed but the noises outside were a distraction until I turned my hearing aid down. I have a snazzy Pilot1 remote for my hearing aids as well Grin.. The wind is supposed to ease of this evening after 6 so anytime now. Huh.
      I am experimenting with 40 x 40mm x 3mmwall angle iron, and 5mm rivets in building a generator frame. Rather than use bolts I just pop the rivets and check the square before the next one. So far so good and pics when I get time..
                            Biff
   Many moons ago, I watched my old man work with a riveting kit. Not the pop riveter but a rivet with a 10mm flat head. After he would drill the hole, the would push the rivet in and then put a hollow tube with a pin sticking out of it, over the end of the rivet, With one hand he held the head of a lump hammer against the head of the rivet. Then he whacked the pin down into the tube.  The belt from the hammer would send the pin down the tube and inside the rivet as the Tube expanded to take the extra width. The cabs on the Seddons were alloy sheets moulded around oak struts. It was surprisingly strong until you came to the part where it met the chassis. Back then Seddon were an independent Truck builder with a decent reputation. In the end the old man gave up on the rivet kit and then one day around 66 he came back from a fair in the North with 2 little blue pop riveters and a pile of Rivets. We were sticking rivets in all the pota and pans that had been hidden away in the Never again Cupboard.
  My old Mam was,nt half vexed with that and put the pots and pans in the refuse the first time she got a chance. My present riveter is the telescopic type and very powerful,.Good for awkward spots as well.
   will post pic.
                 Biff

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:48:31 PM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #1766 on: March 22, 2019, 10:02:13 PM »

More strong wind,
                     I would say a good force 8. piping hot tanks and house toasty roasty. I was trying to work in the shed but the noises outside were a distraction until I turned my hearing aid down. I have a snazzy Pilot1 remote for my hearing aids as well Grin.. The wind is supposed to ease of this evening after 6 so anytime now. Huh.
      I am experimenting with 40 x 40mm x 3mmwall angle iron, and 5mm rivets in building a generator frame. Rather than use bolts I just pop the rivets and check the square before the next one. So far so good and pics when I get time..
                            Biff
   Many moons ago, I watched my old man work with a riveting kit. Not the pop riveter but a rivet with a 10mm flat head. After he would drill the hole, the would push the rivet in and then put a hollow tube with a pin sticking out of it, over the end of the rivet, With one hand he held the head of a lump hammer against the head of the rivet. Then he whacked the pin down into the tube.  The belt from the hammer would send the pin down the tube and inside the rivet as the Tube expanded to take the extra width. The cabs on the Seddons were alloy sheets moulded around oak struts. It was surprisingly strong until you came to the part where it met the chassis. Back then Seddon were an independent Truck builder with a decent reputation. In the end the old man gave up on the rivet kit and then one day around 66 he came back from a fair in the North with 2 little blue pop riveters and a pile of Rivets. We were sticking rivets in all the pota and pans that had been hidden away in the Never again Cupboard.
  My old Mam was,nt half vexed with that and put the pots and pans in the refuse the first time she got a chance. My present riveter is the telescopic type and very powerful,.Good for awkward spots as well.
   will post pic.
                 Biff

Aye Biff, me old dad used to make parts of English Electric Lightnings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning and even the ill fated TSR2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_TSR-2 We riveted a lot of stuff in our house. I still have some of the rivets, though I lost the special punch but I do still have some of the special knurled tools that you poke through the metal sheets to draw them together prior to riveting. Lazy tongs we call them concertina riveting tools ere, great things but not so handy in a confined space hey. Must have been boodly windy here whilst I was away to, the wee Proven averaged 31.35kWh per day whilst I was away. The 4.75kW PV only managed an average of 5.05 per day but pretty soon the PV will be racing ahead.   

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1767 on: March 23, 2019, 06:07:35 AM »

Good to you home safe and sound Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1768 on: March 23, 2019, 10:43:22 AM »

Paul, PV is already racing ahead here,
   It is still early and well before noon, The circulating pump that takes the hot from the top of our DHWT and swaps it for the cold in the bottom solar coil has been running now for a good 20 mins. So today might be the first day that our rads will get warm to touch. Today I will also check the fluid level in the small expansion tank above the thermal store in the hall..A once a year thing.
             My small 48v x  PV only shed install is already powering my tools continuously. Right up to 5pm.
  Tod, Have you got PV organised in your new place yet,? The Panels are a hell of a lot cheaper now and from now on you could heat your water free and have a standby generator station in event of outage.
  One independent of the mains power. There is a surprising amount of poke in 4 x 165watt panels into a small 48v x 200ah bank.  (8x100ah batts.) keep the batts at 56volts and dump the rest into your DHWT. The batts do not have to be new. X UPSs x SLAs ,sitting at 12.7v of the shelf  would be ideal.
  You could remove a redundant Rad and replace it with a thermal store, with the C/H water/fluid going through the coil in the T/S. The thermal store could be filled with anti-freeze mix in the water and a small Header tanks to top it up automatically by syphonic action. Then a C/H pump to send the lovely hot water out of the internal coil and round your rads. genuflect. The T/H store fluid never leave the T/S, hence the antifreeze...Oh Boy,,Get out the tape..
                                                 Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1769 on: March 23, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »

A funny thing you should mention that Biff. Just garnering quotes now. I am looking at supplementing the heating with an ASHP. The CH is oil fired  but I reckon by adding solar panels and a heat pump I could virtually stop using that.

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: