navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 [119] 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 283741 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1770 on: March 23, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »

I,m a mind reader Tod,
                  You probably knows this already but our C/H is driven by the wood burner, From now on right through the summer into the end of September, Our PV does exactly what I described in my last post and the wood stove itself becomes a rad that sucks the heat up the chimney unless i block the flue for the duration of summer.. It is really odd to feel the stove warm and no fire. So I suppose An oil Boiler would perform exactly the same but I don,t know how that would tie in with being on the grid.,ImmerSuns?
                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1771 on: March 24, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »

Paul, PV is already racing ahead here,

Aye Biff,

helluva jump here since I was away, 8kWh was my best daily PV generation this year on the day I left home two weeks or so ago. Yesterday it was 18kWh PV and 39kWh wind but it was quite stormy here. Methinks the wind will be 'taking a back seat' now the spring equinox is by with.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1772 on: April 03, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »

Great wind,from the north east,
        Hail and snow. The shed creaks and bangs, The roller door gets excited until I push the button and crush the slats closer.
  I regret cutting up the junker floors.Last week i cut the tripe out of a beautiful Oregon pine floor, I offered the junkers to a couple of friends if they could use it as intended but they just shrugged.It is bordering on criminality to allow good wood to be disrespected and thrashed this way. I also have over 1500 oak blocks 225 x 60 x 25mm and there is no use for them either apart from the stove. There should be some kind of contract signed that would bind the buyer to keep the hardwood floors for at least two house lifetimes,,say 60 years.
    The best circular saw that I have used to date is the Evolution Rage. The worst were Aldi which give up the ghost after the first little stint at cutting hardwood.
   Screwfix was good but the vibration rattled the stop on the shaft free and it ended up in bits, The stop is the little lever that you press to lock the shaft when you want to change blades, So The screwfix still works but don,t cut because the blade heated up and cooled and then refused to grip the collet.. An yee cannae tighten it because,,,,
  The evolution Rage has got that hot that I could hardly hold it, But after a 5 minute cooling period it starts and cuts like stink again.
   My charger projects turned a corner last week, I wheeled it out the front and round the side of the shed.
  Joking aside, It has potential.    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #1773 on: April 03, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »

Yes i've found evolution to be good also. It suprised me given the prices. I've a magnetic drill that has had some serious hammer and its still going strong many years later.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #1774 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »

Yes i've found evolution to be good also. It suprised me given the prices. I've a magnetic drill that has had some serious hammer and its still going strong many years later.

Aye TB, got one of those meself and it's one of the best tools I have ever purchased drilled hunners of holes in RSJ's used it to cut dozens of 32mm holes in 19mm steel plate for me big proven base to. The only thing it has ever baulked at was some 25mm steel plate that had been left outside for generations. I'm guessing the corrosion process must have 'case hardened' it. Blunted my 14mm broach cutter and broke two 12mm ones before giving up. As for the Evolution saw Biff, by no means the best I have used but by far the best value for money, I just finished cutting a load of 25mm steel angle with mine and regularly use it to cut scaffolding poles, conduit, aluminium and of course wood, lots of it. The blade seems as sharp now as when I got it from Screwfix for 89 a couple of years ago. I bought a stand for it prior to building me latest shed/solar panel mount and that was money well spent too.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1775 on: April 14, 2019, 02:10:58 PM »

Splashes of bright green expand and contract on the Sally,
                        The wind pushes hard from the South West, We had our first rain in 4 days this morning. The PV was dishing out the amps in record dollops. Everything is bursting to grow and then someone said that it was going to snow. We would allow some rain but snow is not on. We are not having any snow or frost right now. We have plums in the making and Bramleys as well.
    We had a surprise storm yesterday. It caught us unaware and was blowing from the south east in massive big heaves every 15 to 20 minutes. It would have done damage but only knocked the covers of some of my outside gear, The shed creaks and groans . The roller rattles even when I tighten the slats.
    My projects stagger along. I am amazed at my own stupidity. Last week I went to buy silver hammerite for the latest generator frame. The shop did not have it but the lad explained that they had it in white. I said that I wanted silver. He said that they had white and showed me the tin of white with the rust on the lid. I know now that he is a fantastic salesman and has a solid future ahead of him,,maybe in politics as well. The tin showed a price of 21 euros and he told me that I could have it for a 10er. I was born generous and gave him the tenner. The first coat looked like bird droppings gone mad.The second coat has shadows all over it from the way it catches the light

I was wondering if I am restricted on the number of batteries that I can charge or by the overall amp ? These alts range from 150amp to 180 amp. Could I in theory charge a 500amp pack say  8 x 65am x 12v batteries at one time.? Or would I need to use a series of split charger relays..? In have been charging 5 x 65amp x 12v and it seemed to perform very well. I am wondering if there is a limit to the number of batts, ? It is difficult to get a straight answer to a question like that.
  This charger is designed to carry a 65 amp batt on board and the split charger is a WM 686.  200amp. with 100amp stamped on each brass tail. The onboard batt will power the 1200 watt x 12v inverter so will have priority over the bank and not draw off from the bank or else spARKS  could fly. I am putting the board together for this at the moment.
Sometimes when we keep things simple and straight it works better. Up until now, I just stopped the engine and connected up the 4 batts to the onboard batt and started up again. There is never any disagreement even on the 2 ton version of the 120vdc bank as long as one stays connected.
   It is a little weird for me to be working in petrol but but.
     The storm is back again. We are getting plenty of hot water Grin. Cannot beat it.
                                  Biff

supremetwo

« Reply #1776 on: April 14, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »

I read somewhere that 'new' Hammerite is inferior to the old formula.

Same as paint - the water-based stuff that needs frequent re-painting on outdoor wood is a gift to the painting and decorating trade.

Serves me right I suppose for having old-fashioned wooden windows and doors.

Tinbum

« Reply #1777 on: April 14, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »

I read somewhere that 'new' Hammerite is inferior to the old formula.

Same as paint - the water-based stuff that needs frequent re-painting on outdoor wood is a gift to the painting and decorating trade.

Serves me right I suppose for having old-fashioned wooden windows and doors.

I never liked the old hammerite- always chipped too easily. I swear by Galvafroid.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1778 on: April 14, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »

I have one more frame to do and I will give Galvafroid a go. Has anyone any ideas on the number of batts or total amps a 150 amp Alt can charge at one time without putting pressure on it.
       Biff

supremetwo

« Reply #1779 on: April 14, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »

I have one more frame to do and I will give Galvafroid a go. Has anyone any ideas on the number of batts or total amps a 150 amp Alt can charge at one time without putting pressure on it.   Biff
Monitor its temperature.
Here is a typical spec:-
http://www.balmar.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/PDS-621-150-DV.pdf

Normal Operating Temperature: 180 F / 82 C Max Operating Temperature: 225 F / 108 C

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1780 on: April 14, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »

Thank you for your replies,
                    I had a good gander around their site and some quite interesting gear there.
     Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1781 on: April 22, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »

Unbelievable PV production today,
                                      Even our turbine is clocking top amps. I think it is quite cold and the lack of heat ,bright sunlight and good wind are the ideal conditions for top production. Already our tanks are warm enough and the C/H pump is starting to exchange the heat through the rads and the underfloor pipes. soon the stove will be warm to touch.  It is time to start the washing machine, Grin
                                       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1782 on: April 22, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »

Winding  down to  the end of a perfect day.
      There is an incredible druth our washing dried outside in the space of a couple of hours. The dry wind just whipped the moisture off them
  News is coming in of gorse fires starting up in differ areas some arrests have been made. The cops are getting cute. Good for them but 2 bunglows were burned out before anyone could save them.
   No rain till Wednesday   freeze.
       Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1783 on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:57 AM »

Amazing we are talking fires in April.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1784 on: April 30, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

Finally got bum into gear and had 4kW of pv installed, plan to go down Marts route and put an ashp in the lounge to try and delay lighting the ch (oil fired) until the depths of winter.

Speaking of which Hannah gave us a seeing to last weekend 78 mph winds but very little rain. I have to admit to lying in bed and fretting over the new panels as I listened to the wind howling and the windows flexing!

We sneaked through the dunes on our walk and then let the gale blow us back. Never seen an inside out collie before. Playing with his spaniel mate they both collided and got bundled over looked very surprised and then carried on.   I will try and post Mrs T's video of the sand being swept towards the dunes.

Hope everyone is safe with no damage.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 [119] 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: