navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 283752 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1785 on: April 30, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »

Well done Tod and congratulations on your new array,
   We had another  little earthquake here in Donegal. 2.4 on the Rich man,s scale . The second in 2 weeks,  Apparently these little earthquakes are getting quite common now with the arrival of the frackers in Fermanagh.
 We had out turbine down for Hannah but we never got much more than force 8 for a few hours. The real wind was farther south in Clare where the diggers and dozers were out in force piling giant rocks on the beach fronts to keep the swell at bay. I think it worked.
                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1786 on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »

Hannah on cefn sidan, dune forming. Gusts up to 78 mph, it was a bit breezy.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOQzsZ7vFSuEjIV0lVlST31hguGpxdiMS-fNNDU
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1787 on: May 06, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »

The wind has switched to the south west,
                                               Hopefully it will warm up a little more. We had 48 hours of the east wind but no frost as yet. Our apple blossoms are running riot and the grass is coming on strong..
    We sincerely hope that this is not going to be our summer. This time last year, we had a spell of dry weather without rain for weeks and our apples suffered, especially the Bramleys. This year things are slower and more steady. Even Hannah left us alone.
    I am due to lower our Y/S wind turbine any week now for a change of prop and a new tail. It has done well and cut the mustard when our 3.8 of pv failed to deliver in the winter gloom. I once dreamed of a double 2kw baby with 6 cables going down the tower to 2 different 2kw controllers. The idea being that the first 2kw would be powered by the big bad blades and the second 2kw would come on stream as the voltage went up over the 138vdc mark. So the second pmg would act as a brake and only kick in when the dump load voltage was reached. This would mean that large blades would catch more power from the low speed breezes but be fully controlled like the present 2kw Turbine because it would have the same alt diameter ratio to blade area as the present 2kw x 48v blades.
All that would be needed extra would be 2 x 2kw dump loads be it immersions of storage heaters. I could afford to run our Symmetra rm all the time with his four parallel 1.4kw inverters. instead of only using it in conjunction with the noon output of the PV.
    It is an exciting idea. but one that would have to include an Xmork furling mechanism which to my mind is second to none. I don,t think the expense would be that great. I would need a  250mm square x 10mm wall steel box built. That could house the yaw and a 6 slip ring vertical shaft and brush sets that the front and rear pmgs could be bolted to as well as the base for the tail.
 The yaw would be offset to the left and the universal joint and couplings would have good room to perform inside. I originally designed a cradle or cage that would bind the lot together but  The center steel box seems to be a better idea. more compact and stronger. Weightwise if might even be lighter. The lower yaw bearing could be the same as the present one but the upper one would have to be the same as the 40mm shaft on the turbine itself. So there are no great expenses there apart from getting the box built to suit the 6 slip rings and 2 double brush sets.
   This idea could have been built into the winding originally but I guess the extra expense and controller trickery would have put people off buying it. It,s top whack would always be just over 3kw.
   Multiple my 1600watt x 2 and you get 3.2kw flat out in a force 8/9 and heating water like stink. Grin.
   Biff
   Danny did well and still had just over 9million dollars for his fight with Canelo. Alvarez get 35 million + another $250,000 x 3.6lbs = $900,000  of Danny,s purse. Did we hear Hearn say that he would pay Danny,s fine.  Huh Huh. ? It,s a rough game. Canelo is a great champion. A great advert for the old school.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1788 on: May 16, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »

Big drops of rain bounced  the dust,
                              Big singular drops yards apart to start with and then steadied up into a decent downpour. Our fruit trees will relish and revel in it. WE HAVE BABY PLUMS extrahappy
   We also have a pair of cats who arrived last Sunday night and were hanging around our front door on Monday morning. We hoped that they might have strayed here from the house down the road but not so. These two were dumped and their innocence is obvious to a blind man. Their behaviour is very very different and instead of hugging the hedges and using cover they just stroll about with not a care in the world. On Monday I assumed they wanted to be fed but thought it not a good idea because there  was some hope that they might head off back to where they came from but no such luck. So this evening as Mrs Biff and I were talking in the shed they took up positions on either side of the roller door and Mrs Biff said,,,They are hungry  whistlie.
   So now they are tucking in to fish and beef ribs. They are about 7 months and hopefully we will get homes for them. It was nice to watch them running around the house outside and playing hide and seek.
  If the English Ladies Tom happens to pass through he will make short work of the pair of them,. This place is a bit like a feline Syria where all the Toms come to assert their authority and it can get very rough with some Toms ending up dead for the troubles.
 I don,t want to say this too loud but the midge is not as bad as it can be. So maybe the bats and the swallows are doing a good job.There was a discussion here about distilled water. I get it free and I must have about 600 ltrs tucked away in the shed. It is great to get it and one less expense.
 This is the 3rd year that our 45 euro Aldi lecky lawn mower has been rolled out to tame the rushes. It has been the best value lawn mower that i ever bought. Its light and powerful and can be pushed un under the bushes without fear of pulling the carb linkage off..I take a few seconds to wipe the blade with the grinder and it makes a big difference. I note with some disappointment that the new lecky mowers are all big placky efforts but I will keep my eye open for one like I already have. I don,t expect it to last forever cutting 2ft hight rushes so having another lined up would be a good idea.
      Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1789 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »

Green grow the rushes,O. Same here Biff, 3 Victoria plums and a damson with thousands of baby fruits. However, Iíll not count my chickens yet....
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 [120]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: