navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 381432 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1830 on: January 07, 2020, 08:05:12 PM »

Dry here Tod,
          But a ferocious force 9+ this past few hours. Our turbine is clocking the max. Rain would be good and cool it down. For a few days now we have had steady force 5 + and no let up. No chance to lower and park our baby. So tonight she is getting hammered pretty hard but the storm is due to ease off in another few hours. Our TV pic has gone on the blink and the net is struggling so . Around 6,30 pm it became extremely hard to open our front door, In fact a few time I tried, the sucking noise at the door seals was quite unnerving. I really don,t remember anything quite as strong as that before.
  Express trains roaring by and no leaves on the trees, Its a pretty big blow.
                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1831 on: January 08, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »

All is good,
          From our initial dander about around 6,30am everything seemed fine but we have not heard the national news yet. Some flooding and 7ft high blanket of foam on the beach in Bundoran but no word of any damage. The wind strength was near as bad as ever we felt it. We had to switch off the telly for a couple of hours and the dongle was misbehaving but the air pressure in the room was fine. We had storms here some years ago, once a 72 hour one, during which, could feel our ears pop sometimes as the roof groaned. Our Y/S turbine did fine and filled the clock hour after hour day after day.
  I did not intend to leave it up but there was no window or opportunity to lower it because the winds were too strong and getting caught in one of those gusts that had been coming our way for days was just too dangerous. You must have felt that one HH.
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1832 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »

We seem stuck on grey mode at the moment, Elliott and I trudged the beach this morning under a lowering sky.  On the bright side he met his spaniel mate, and a new chum a black standard poodle which his owner thinks has a lab father, lovely friendly dog. Why is it I have reached an age where I remember the dogs's name easier than the owner!

Stay safe Biff, one of my favourite posts was your description of the battle lowering the turbine in a gale Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1833 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »

Yo Tod,
       Once again,,another storm but this time I lowered the turnip. Supposed to be bad between 11am and 1pm so not too long to stay inside. Out walking this morning at 8 and it was pretty lively.
 The hound skipped and played in the writhering long grass. Things were getting knocked about then but it really upped it,s game this past half hour. The postman called in the middle of it all genuflect. Its a kind of crazy really, You could hardly stand at our front door. Hopefully he will make a beeline for the post office after leaving here. He is driving a VW caddy and they catch the wind like a sail. facepalm.
        I use the remote control every time now for lowering the turbine. very safe and quick.  I can grab the guys with one hand and pull them out gently so as not to kink the steel cables, and press the out button with the other.
       Roll on 2pm, roll on the spring.
                          Biff

Moxi

« Reply #1834 on: January 13, 2020, 10:57:25 AM »

Hi Biff,

Good to hear you got the turbine down in time, it was blustery here this morning at 7:30 and was freshening all the time, having just gone out to let the dogs run I can say its now sufficiently gusty to make you stumble and cower to avoid being blown over Smiley  the dogs were only out long enough to answer natures call and then it was in QT to sleep in front of the log burner again Smiley according to ventusky its 30mph gusting to 65mph at our mutual locations we have its southerly hitting the gable end which suits me as the panels get a little more of a reprieve in that direction.

Nice and dry though for the moment which is giving the land a bit of time to drain.

Moxi

Moxi

« Reply #1835 on: January 13, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »

Blimey I hope Ventusky is wrong with their weather because An Caiseal on the West Coast of Ireland is indicated as being in the grip of 94mph gusts  Shocked
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1836 on: January 13, 2020, 12:07:45 PM »

Hi Moxi,
        For some weird reason, Cork has some terrible storms and all time record breaking rainfalls, This past 8 months.There was one point that Billi had to let some of the water in his lake out and away down into a culvert. It is supposed to have something to do with the gulf stream being 200mile farther south than normal. We are not complaining. We always get storms and truthfully the last few years storms have been babies. Even Conor was a wimp hysteria compare to some of the house shifting blows we have had up here. When you can feel your ears popping and hear the tiles on the roof being played like piano keys, You can safely say,,H,mmm Aye  now we have a blow.
                                             Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1837 on: January 13, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »

Eighteen hawsers and springs fastening the 'office' to Scotland  Shocked and me off home early to watch Brendan and my wind turbine ammeters  Cool

Stay safe chaps,  sh*tfan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:28:07 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Moxi

« Reply #1838 on: January 13, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »

Safe journey home Camillitech, the RAV is parked over the road side on to the gusts and rocking quite lively on its suspension as the gusts slam into it - the barometer is dropping fast now and the gusts are strengthening towards the 80mph were supposed to be getting from 2pm onwards.

I'm glad I nipped out yesterday and restocked the logs in the living room - we can at least we warm and cook some meals if the power drops out later.

I do hope your office is still where you left it after Brendan has shuffled on his merry way  Shocked

Moxi
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1839 on: January 13, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »

Horizontal hail, heavy gusts glad to be indoors.  Stay safe folk.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1840 on: January 16, 2020, 01:47:59 PM »

Storm, Hail, Rain Gale,
                 Brendan came storming through with his extended family in hot pursuit, we had serious blows since , including today.
  We had hail that covered the yard in 2 inches of slush that slopped everywhere. Since Brendan, we have had storms that came in quick succession before they could even find a name for them.
  David Attenborough is on the telly as I type. He tells us we have messed up big time and somehow I believe him. It is depressing and worse still the big boys want to go to war and steal some more oil.
     Maybe they are taking this business of overpopulation serious. A few stray nukes would soo............
                              Biff

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1841 on: January 16, 2020, 04:04:13 PM »

We had a mighty blow through NE Hants that peeled back the roof of my No.1 shed. (Workshop unscathed). I just googled 'storm Brendan'; top of the list was pics from the grauniad. One of the pics showed an HST going through Dawlish sea-front waves. The last HST through Dawlish was in May last year. Was there a storm Brendan last year as well?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1842 on: January 16, 2020, 05:32:28 PM »

Hi N2,
    I think that one might have been Brenda. I,m Guessing.
   We have a force 8 here at the moment, Out of one and straight into another,
  Halogen fires on, all the house stuff and the clock is alternating between 139 and 141 vdc steady,
 Our weather forecasters are on a different planet.
                                     Biff
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:37:09 PM by biff » Logged

Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #1843 on: January 16, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »

Nice pictures Paul, from your works location. When you see white horses, you know there is a bit of wind about.
HST in Dawlish. I thought Mr Cameron promised that a new bit of railway was to be built away from the sea at Dawlish.
Drove through there 18months ago, nice to see the bit rebuilt that was wrecked during the storms of a fews years ago. definately more wild extreme weather about.
Monday night, I was driving back from the dentists, via the F&C shop. Crikey, the heavens opened and the wind blew. The A500 from J16 to Roundabout 1 was reduced to a 10MPH crawl as visibility reduced and the downgrade turned into a stream.
PhilipR
Barrie

« Reply #1844 on: February 08, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »

Hi Biff,
Are you keeping well, I'm missing the updates on this topic to inform me whether I will be sailing tomorrow. What was the max gusts you suffered this time?
Barrie

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: