navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 387579 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1935 on: October 01, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »

Anyone tried apple chilli jelly?

https://www.cottagesmallholder.com/hot-apple-and-chilli-jelly-recipe-6372/

Several recipes online, I like it hot, scotch bonnet chillis, for a clearer jelly we used eaters but that is what we had growing ditto the chillis.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:57:03 AM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1936 on: October 01, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »

I will give that a go Tod,
     Thank you,
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1937 on: October 01, 2020, 04:22:51 PM »

Ah, the old ‘Memory Lane’ kicks in - used to make loads of apple-based jellies for the Farmer’s Market... chilli, rosemary, thyme, horseradish, mint... got a lot of repeat business.

Chas the Norfolk Bon Viveur.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1938 on: October 04, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »

Less apples,
          Loads more hor water. Supposed to peak at 11am.
  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
pantsmachine

« Reply #1939 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »

Anyone tried apple chilli jelly?

https://www.cottagesmallholder.com/hot-apple-and-chilli-jelly-recipe-6372/

Several recipes online, I like it hot, scotch bonnet chillis, for a clearer jelly we used eaters but that is what we had growing ditto the chillis.

We did a Scotch Bonnet & plum chilli jam a couple of years ago. Its outstanding as a glaze or poured straight on as a sauce. Didn't get the set point right so it stayed runny, hence sauce.

This Year we did a Plum jam as the crop from our plum tree was way better than seen before, Just a simple one from the web, real nice.

Every few years we make a Plum & Apple Chutney, It just gets better as it ages. Without bragging its the best chutney i've had. I guess that's the quality of ingredients and not skimping which is one of the luxuries if you are growing your own. Oh aye, and its Delia's recipe!

Two out of three apple trees put forth fruit and they are all gone in crumbles! Happy Days indeed!

I'm away to have a look at your recipe Tod. Cheers! Smiley

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wood hot tub
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1940 on: October 04, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »

Horrible here wet,windy generally uck!

Kidwelly South Wales
pantsmachine

« Reply #1941 on: October 04, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »

Same here, Ballater, Huntly and parts of Aberdeen, Kintore, Stonehaven and my town Inverurie have flooding. Rained solidly & heavy for 26 hours here. Off at the moment and system is producing 0.7kWh through the grey overhead blanket! I hope you are all doing ok and unflooded.

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wood hot tub
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1942 on: October 10, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »

H.M. Government is increasingly worried about mental health issues arising from Covid-19.
All new announcements will be in the form of world beating cryptic crossword clues, to keep us all alert.
See PNQ's  for your next clue from Boris, as we are all in this together have your latin dictionary ready. ralph
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:42:55 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1943 on: October 10, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »

Not all gloom and doom but very nearly,
     The virus is scoring multiple successes, our infection rate has shot right up to 1013 today,  yesterday we had 600 infections and 5 deaths. So it looks bad right now .
 I am guessing that we will be stepping up to level 5 on Monday. Mrs Biff has already had her NCT extended 4 months which was nice. This sounds really bad and it is.
           I watered our 60 cells with 50 litre of the finest mountain dew, ( Dehumidified on top of the Bluestacks)Thursday last,They were well down but not dry. It is not a nice job and I am quite conscious of the danger and wear the right gear. Visor et al, courtesy  of Covid19,
  I pour the first  . 400mm slowly into each cell and then start all over again and fill to the top , trying not to over fill. The first few hours are important. The sun shone brightly and the Turbine went into overdrive, The wind blew hard overnight. Yesterday Mrs Biff did 3 washs on the machine and the
controller DC  voltage never moved from 140vdc. All is good., We are ready for winter.
    Contrary,  to my previous depressing blethering, we seem to have plenty of good eating apples,
 Sadly next to no Bramley, 1 pear and a dozen plums. No blackcurrant or goosegogs.
     I dry lined a wall in our new bedroom. We moved back upstairs for the 2 weeks that it took to do it.
  Then I built 3 tier of 600mm deep x 2075 long  shelves for Mr Biff along the wall upstairs in our old living room. They are already packed with balls of wool and another 3 tier 500 deep x 1800mm long is in the makings during the next spell of bad weather.
   Tomorrow is giving for decent weather and I have a date with a Yeng Sheng 1kw baby. I must store away my carpentry tools, Get my low bench and soft chair,  My rack for splitting the casings, drills, tap and threaded bars. I am still finding out things, still learning and will share. There is no guarantee of success. It's a dirty black cold night out there.The stove glows. A yellow warm light falls across Mrs Biff,s latest hat and scarf being knit to order
 Sometimes when I am low, I dream of fixtures and of simplifying  perhaps, locks and door handles. Not all my ideas end up on the scrap heap. It beats the TV which turns our brain to mush. It has occurred to me that my dreams and pondering  are a form of escape or madness but they occasionally bear fruit and that cannot be bad.
   Goodnight all
      Biff
 Nb, I fitted a lot of door handles and locks in my time. Different designs and results. Some 20 years ago my son and I imported fingerprint locks from China. I still have a couple. They look like ordinary door handle, except that there is a hole to put your finger in, to read the print and trigger the lock.They were a little sore on batteries and they need fresh batteries to trigger the mechanism. With low batteries,  they became a problem rather  than the solution. We enjoyed our time together with them and still laugh about them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:29:45 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1944 on: October 14, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »

A decent bit of sunlight,
      And enough wind to clock up the amps, our Government is deciding today whether or not to declare level 5 in our area. We will know shortly. Personally, I am all for it .Our favourite village, restaurant and meeting place has been declared a virus black spot. Being too popular with tourists has proved to be a poisoned chalice.
    We really need to lie low and sit tight till the virus clears away. My pmg projects have been sidelines and I am now putting up more shelves for wool. I must be doing something right.
      Biff
     Nb,    Donegal is now on level 4,
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:48:52 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1945 on: October 20, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »

Yesterday was wet and windy,
            Good for electricity production and heating water but bad for the soul. Between the wet and the imminent  level5  lockdown, there was nothing to cheer about.I had dug out one of my Compaq XR ups,s and split it on Sunday. They are difficult babies to open with amazing technology running side by side with stone age metalwork joints that do work well but look like a horse cart  axle on the rear of a Ferrari, Yet they are good, very good. They are also a divil to work with. There is no space to fit an anderson on the rear,, absolutely non. So I anchored a posh Welco connector on the rear battery compartment  floor and routed a pair of good cables out through the bottom left hand of the same, making sure to employ a good screw fit grommet to anchor the cable and anderson on the end. It's  not perfect but it's much more practical than taking the DC power out the front.
 The power module is 2.7 watt. The large turbo fan sits horizontal the front, where it's ducting draws in the air through the grill round the control panel, The fan is quite constricted and has to work hard to push the air 600mm through the inverter and out through the rear of the UPS. This particular  module was pristine and the innards were frankly a work of art. I was very happy with that. I suspect that this power module was a new replacement. Dismantling the Compaq 3000 XR is tricky, especially splitting the top and bottom Metal sections. Putting it all back together is even more challenging. However, patience, a hammer and pair of vice grips are rewarded.
 The hammer marks were clearly visible from the previous operator, Incredible to think that someone would use brute force to hammer to sides of a UPS together. The Power module was removed but the power distribution interface was still in harm's way, using a good pair of heavy duty vice grips  to hold the bottom section and lever the top section into place with multiple gentle taps on the centre section till the screw holes lines up and Bob's yer  Aunt.
  It looked none the worse.
  The rain stopped and I plumbed it into the Symmetra bank, These are excellent cold starters and the control panel is very easily understood. Even it's  fault search  is quick and easily understood.
  But why would you bother getting one of these.?
 Ans, They are 2.7watt,
      You can prioritize your loads with the individual  outlets.
  They are good quality sine wave.
  They are not expensive.
   They also come in 48vdc and still 2.7 watt.
    Mine is 120vdc which means I need 10 x 12v batteries in series but the wiring and cabling is quick and inexpensive.
 They would be ideal for a small solar project .say 8 x 18volt x 60watt panels.  
 The downside ?  Not everybody likes 120vdc like me.
  + that fan sounds like it takes a good 40wstts on it's own.
  I'm not sure but I will soon find out. The dark grey is closing in, Our faithful Yeng Sheng is doing the business.
   I wish you all safe passage through lockdown. We have to try or else we and those we love, will pay dearly for our intransigent.
     Biff
   NB, it goes without saying that working on these UPSs should be left to competent and qualified electricians.
 First, if a UPS is easily Cold started, it means that it storing the electricity in its capacitors which can kill in seconds. Some do,, some don't,  just don't  take chances..

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:25:33 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1946 on: October 23, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »

Strewth,,
       More hot water on the way. We will shortly experience our first force 8 in a level 5 lockdown. What is not to like about this. Soon we will be living on hard stale bread and water. Yet look at the benefits???. We will have trim athletic figures, More money than ever because we cannot get out to spend it and our cars can run for over 6 weeks without a refill. There are slight downsides of course.
 A trip to the doctor is no impossible. Before  this level 5 , it was impossible also. You might get to visit but you would be met in a narrow corridor by people dressed in white suits wearing perspex helmets and spraying everything and anything. The doctor herself invisible  and inaudible.  It was a really short visit. The last time we went, we wanted flu jabs but it was No Can Do. These days our GP  will phone us and talk for half an hour..after which we are as wise as ever we were.
  I miss my friendly local Engineering  Works and  Electric Engineering friends.  That is the worst side of it. I have done all the little jobs on my car and Mrs Biffs car. My standby battery bank and 2.7kw Compaq  3000 XL are almost complete, apart from bus bars and separate volt meter. I intend to charge the 20 Yousa of the house controller Dump load, which is 138vdc, this means that I might be pinching energy of one of our 2kw immersions. There is a simple solution there but if I am  uneasy, I can  use another controller without a dump load.the other controllers can look after the voltage.
     All in all,  We are lucky. We can still go for 5km drives going nowhere but even that is a release of sorts. We will take it as it comes. I was supposed to go south to Sligo hosp last Monday but I rang and cancelled. We had 7 deaths today and 777 new infections in the ROI.
    I discovered the true way to a womand heart lately, I built  83 x 20 inch x 3 tier shelves for Mrs Biffs wool. She was so pleased with them that I built another 3 tier the same. It is good to see our old living room being put to good use. We had many happy evenin gs up there. The kids have their own kids, yet we still have plenty of room.
    The wind is supposed to get going properly around 10pm and hit full whack around 4am tomorrow morning. It must be my imagination but I think we get tired quicker during lockdown. I don't  like the sound of that. I intend to have our new system up and running by Sunday evening with a few hours each day and then weave magic spells on a few reluctant PMGs, what's not to like,
   Good night,
       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1947 on: October 24, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »

No let up all day,
       The wind did ease off a little around noon but began picking up again , all the time filling the clock and topping up our new reserve bank. Our tanks were full of piping hot water and Mrs Biff did a few washs, as the sun broke through.
  Next week is worrysome, we have non stop gales for the next 10 days,  however heavy rain is also forecast for those windy days and the rain is kind to the turbine and keeps it cool. Non stop dump loading past the 72 hour mark is often unkind and troublesome, Like it or not, heat builds up in the PMG despite the cooling effect of the rain.
 I cannot remember strong winds continuing on like this much past the 72 hour mark but this forecast is set to last 10 days, hopefully it will ease off. It is too risky to lower and the wind not strong enough to bother us for a few days, however, it is the kind of situation where things change and a nasty force 10 or 11 pops its head up. There are just too many days of high winds for it to just fizzle away. I'm just never happy,   fume,
     Biff
   Our hall controller is working hard with all fans blowing.
Thankfully there is another outside in the brick control house,
 They act like the opposite to a soft start consaw, so they dont slam the brakes on at the one time. This would be a force 8 + with some alarming gusts. It is supposed to peak around 3am. Our forecasters definitely underestimated this one.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:26:53 AM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 [130]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: