navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 392731 times)
brackwell

« Reply #1950 on: November 13, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »

" I sincerely hope Ms Long stays in her present position and keeps bringing stability and trust to the table."

Being English (or is it GB,UK,EU ) have no understanding of Irish politics other than the bad bits of old.   Can you give me a brief background to what you refer. 
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1951 on: November 13, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »

It really does not matter who you are or what your leanings are. Ms Long was trying her best to get the NI lockdown extended to save lives. At a time when the death count due to Covid19 is rising and the infection rate is soaring,  she threatened to resign if they did not catch themselves on and get serious. She is the voice of reason and not linked to either of the 2 main parties.
   We here in the West of Donegal welcome everyone and that has cost us dear. We now have the highest infection rate in Ireland because we were poster boys for the clean Covid19 free Ireland. Silly us,  Grin , suddenly all the holiday homes were staying full and the Garda had to eventually  ask many to leave because we did not have the facilities to cope. It is not about being English or Irish or being a citizen of NI,  it's  about defeating the virus and staying alive. I gave up following NI politics years ago.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1952 on: November 13, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »

Politics and religion are toxic subjects,
       And are to be avoided at all costs. I have done my best to explain in non political terms. We all hope for peace and  goodwill and that things will work out for the best for everyone.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
brackwell

« Reply #1953 on: November 13, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »

Is the Ms Long you refer to  https://www.msf.gov.sg/publications/Pages/Tuning-in-to-the-Leaders-Session-5-Ms-Long-Chey-May.aspx 

I think i have got it.   Thanks
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1954 on: November 19, 2020, 06:20:14 AM »

I sincerely hope that everyone is OK
        The storm here is winding down . It was brutal for the hours either side of 11pm last night. It had been blowing hard for days, upping the tempo with our dump load immersions full on for the past 48 hours without respite.
 That is very unusual. It also meant that it became much too dangerous to lower the tower.
 With the lockdown and the riots in our cities the storm might have been welcome for some,  driving people indoors and away from conflict. Some of the recording  of neighbourly violent conflict  are like scenes from a horror film. What ever chance we have of surviving the pandemic  it is vitally important to block of the virus transmission, hence the lockdown and waiting it out until the vaccine  arrives. People talk about keeping the economy going.
 There are life essentials jobs that have to be done but the economy will have to take second place to people,s lives.
  We can always give ourselves a shake get up and get to work again but not if you are dead and the population is wiped out by a mutant virus for which there is no cure.
  The Danish mink farm virus mutated from the workers to the mink, then back to the workers who infected the nearby village. Even our dogs carry Covid19.
   Locally, we are fortunate but in Inishowen, 60miles to the North East, the virus has taken hold of large towns and is showing 4 times the national average for infections. Our hospitals are in trouble also.
 It is not all gloom and doom. The vaccine is on the horizon and we just need to hold steady until it is distributed. Our economies will bounce back with a vengeance Meanwhile,, all we have to do is help each other stay virus free and alive.
     Biff.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1955 on: November 22, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »

Strewth,,!
   There is no end to it, no let up. The wind blows the rain  in every direction, our wind turbine hunts and brakes, we must be in the eye of the storm once again. Day after day we have 45   50klm winds. Perfect for heating 500ltrs of water between two tanks but pretty depressing out and about. Today is for giving sunshine around noon till 5pm so at least that is something to look forward to.
   Bog shifting and sliding is hitting the news here and it is mostly to do with service roads for windcturbine bases and wind turbines. The heavy trucks that deliver the blades and tower sections simply destroy the county roads as well. Small wonder that there are some very anti- windcturbine people in the area.
    The bog does it's thing and interfering with it usually sparks some kind of protest from the slumbering underworld gods of peat and brown water.
   My very first job in the building was breaking stones with a sledge hammer on a proposed driveway..I guess, that because of my apparent expertise with the sledge and my gift for Latin,  French and Algebra, It was a no brainer that I would be called upon to assist in the latest technology in wresting dried turf from the binks of the bog to the hard tar of the county road. To be honest, I did not show a lot of promise sledging rocks and the meenchaghs appealed to me. The wilds of Meenahonar stretched away into the horizon to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, known locally as Sliabh Sneacht.
 Our Boss,s  4 x 4 was a cream coloured 100E Prefect with a towbar and a trailer. It had 3 forwards that were mostly unused because he lifted off in second and the engine screamed along in that gear for the duration of the journey. He had a very stiff neck from some injury or other and when giving orders to those in the back seat  he would twist around his shoulders as well as his head to address the rear seat passengers, pulling the steering to the left every time and then over correcting heading to the other side of the road. There was a rumour going around that he did this to wake us up. It worked.
  The job  or heist (good word for it) was to erect a cable car system across the bog from the hard tarred county road, up the mountain , over the binks for about half a mile. The wire rope was  already stretched out across bog and a pile of wooden ganteries were lying alongside the road ready to be carried up the hill to be positioned and secured by us donkies. The anchor for the cable was driven into a friendly rock and concreted over by persons unknown who must have blown town, knowing full well how this adventure was going to end .
   The baskets that hung from the cable looked very like the large local laundry baskets. We struggled in the hot sun for almost a week. There were 3 elderly pipe smokers who were employed to fill the baskets and another  young greyhound like myself who were employed to chase each basket down the mountain to the road. I was pretty fit back then but my fellow greyhound had more sense  and deliberately fell into at least 3 bog holes on the second trip. The cable was tensioner by a winch on the back of a Major that drove two large spike down into the road and hung tight.
  So we were all set, our previous week,s work would now be tested to the full. The pipesmokers stayed up at the binks loading the baskets when they arrived. The baskets had to be pulled back up on the end of a rope and by the 4th run, I was well and truly knackered.
   Everything seemed to grind to a halt on the 4th run. Going back ip the hill pulling the basket was proving extremely difficult because by now the gantries were shifting and leaning every way and the baskets were trailing on the ground. I needed the help of my fellow greyhound who was covered in bog gloop from head to foot, then the Major was started and the winch pulled over  two of the gantries. The Boss, All 4ft 11 inches of him, flew into a rage, He came bouncing up the hill, venting his spleen on the pipe smokers who looked quietly at one another, nodded puffed their pipes furiously,  ambled down the hill to their big black bikes which were nesting in the heather by the road, and pedalled off into the hot horizon. We got home early that day. I could not walk into the house as I was, so I walked into the river,  a few of my friends were already in for a swim but all I wanted to do was wash the gloop out of my hair and clothes, a really difficult task. I was asked to help again a few weeks later but I cried off with a sore ankle. This saga, provided the old man with tears of enjoyment and delight. I TOLD YOU S SO,,,   No Chance,!!!. But he was proven right. I did not like my Boss one little bit but I wanted it to work. It should have been a winner before that, my boss would have been regarded as a clever practical man but afterwards he was considered as ,  losing it,, The pipe smokers would have earned many a pint and half on the high stool as they retold the cable car saga from bink to bink. " If only he had listened to me".they would say.  How dare he dream.
  I fished the small lake in the Meenchas back then, I actually caught a couple of green trout. That solitary 60ft pine was not on that little island back then.
    The sun is out,
   Biff

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: