navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 412993 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1980 on: December 28, 2020, 10:44:27 PM »

Whew, Tod
      Another force 8 to 9 heading our way. I have never seen a forecast chop and change as much as this one did.
  At least it is cold and cools the turnip and now we have snow arriving as well. At least we have loads of hot water.
   whistlie
     Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1981 on: January 07, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »

Plenty of sunlight,
        Loadsa hot water but the nights bring zero temperatures and danger of frozen pipework. So I load the stove , get is going and then keep it alive during the night with a visit around 5ish. The freeze tonight is of a different calibre, sneaky, cunning and extremely treacherous. I read the warning on my phone about the cars skating of the local roads, I looked outside and it was raining softly.
  A closer look at my car, revealed that it was frozen solid again, but this time with black ice. The white hoar  picks up in the beam of the lamp but black ice barely shines,  it was raining and freezing. A truly evil mix. As it is, nobody is going any place these days. The pandemic rules.
    Freda has company and spends all her time argueing and fighting with our latest Robin who also lives crumbled  cedar. Our felines are fat and glossy,  very wild and very nervous but they are fond of our food. The hound ignores them.
 Mind how you go tomorrow morning, It's possible that you could experience black ice like we have at present. Good luck     
    BIFF

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1982 on: January 08, 2021, 08:09:05 AM »

Mornin’ Biff, and a curious ‘opposite but the same here’ about as far east from you as can be: still, misty, desperately cold so that as the mist settles about the cars it’s building a sort of ice shell over them. And yes, the local radio talking of black ice on the roads and treacherous conditions...
On the upside, the dead rat in the roof doesn’t smell so bad this morning - can’t be covid lack of smell on my part as I can taste the tea ok.
Keep safe and well.

Cheers, Chas.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1983 on: January 09, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »

Yo Chas, fingers crossed!
      Who could believe that we have such variations of freezing water. This morning, I walked on frozen grass that looked clear of ice and yet crackled and snapped like glass. My car looked ice free but my water tank had easily 40mm of clear smooth ice on top.
   Some 30 miles away as the crow flies, Errigal is hosting g the Donegal skiing championships, For yee  that know not Errigal, suffice to say that there is not a mountain in Ireland with more sharp rocks and outcrops. They once quarried glass sand at the summit and tossed the rocks over the edge,  Now our lads are skiing down the cliff face over the rocks and scree with just a few mm of snow painted on to the rocks. Their utube videos are interesting.
  But it is miles better than drifting their cars on frozen Lough Eask. That terrified the life out of me.
    Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1984 on: January 11, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »

The infection rates soar,
       Suddenly we find ourselves with the highest infection rate in Europe  or on the planet,
  Surely not,, apparently yes .
 Letterkenny Hosp is treating patients  in ambulances, in its car park and other operations have been cancelled.
 Remote places like Bealmullet  which showed no signs of Covid19 is now showing among the highest infection rate in Ireland. I will not mention Sligo Hosp,
  We have a lot of hard work to do to put this right.
  Stay safe, stay away, stay at home.
      Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1985 on: January 12, 2021, 10:32:34 AM »

The virus creeps closer,
         It is present in our two local villages. Our family doctor has it quite bad and is very ill. We are baffled as to how she could catch it. It is over many months since we paid her a visit and back then she was wearing her fully enclosed, space suit and put the temperature gun to our heads. She would ring us and speak on the phone. I sincerely hope she recovers soon. Covid19 is also present in our local villages. As mentioned before, Letterkenny Hosp. is already at a standstill with overload. These next few weeks are going to be difficult. Our local food supplies  are reliable and we have enough gas and fuel to take us it the summer. When the groceries are delivered, they are placed on the top step outside the door. We wave and that is that. We wear masks carrying the boxs inside where we leave them for a few hours before putting everything away. It is really simple to understand. We do everything possible to avoid getting caught because we know we are dead if we do get caught. Not only that,  by all accounts, It is a truly horrible way to die, drowning in your own blood.   
   The freeze has lifted but farther South, along Mayo and Galway, there are flooding alerts and warnings of more persistent heavy rain. At least it I nice and dry here. We have good wind. Our new bank and set up are working really well.
  The livestock get a lot more attention. Our new Robin has to be one of Freda,s survivors. It is bold and wicked,  not quite able to defend against the rabid Freda but it will not be long until it is. They spend more time trying to prevent each other from eating their cheddar than eating it.
  Freda is easily recognisable, she follows me on the ground like a little terrier and she is very nosey.  Her new kid, should be ok,  so we have 3 Robin's.
     Things are very bad In NI also. Our ambulances do cross over and help when they can. It is a two way street and hopefully  will continue as such.
 Last weekend, The Garda were arresting the anti mask protestors and firing them into the back of the Van.
 It is incredible to see people losing the plot, acting up, endangering their lives and others, then getting banged up.
At what point, does the penny drop, At what point does I suddenly  hit them that they have been total idiots.
 But I know that the are not alone. It is chilling.
    Biff

djs63

« Reply #1986 on: January 12, 2021, 11:20:01 AM »

You are right Biff. Hospitals being choosy about who to treat and we still have idiots/deniers and I can’t understand what they think the rest of us have to gain by persuading people to stay home, wash hands and socially distance...

I had some treatment starting in February for rheumatoid arthritis which damped down the immune system just as covid arrived. Not a good idea. In fact, the treatment was very unpleasant and I stopped but lots af others are in the same boat with immunodeficiency for many reasons as well as being old .....

We should all be vaccinated as soon as possible but there are still questions about how long it lasts and whether you can still be a virus carrier and, in the UK with its one vaccination and wait 3 months regime, how much immunity builds up. Should be better than none but staying home will be with us all for months and months, unfortunately.

It would be provocative to ask how many virus deniers are also anti vaccination tumble

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4500 litre tank underground and 1500 litres above.  Kia e-Niro
supremetwo

« Reply #1987 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:01 PM »

Hi, Biff

We have been Pfizered and so far (mine was today) little or no side effects.  Smiley

The marshals were all volunteers and various local GP doctors and staff were giving the vaccine injections - all done at the Town Hall exhibition/theatre space.

Have they started over there?

My own robin friend has now been joined by a dunnock at the feeding cage (cage needed because the magpies soon sussed the site and would gobble the lot). Robbie always takes first dib; dunnock knows its place in queue.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1988 on: January 13, 2021, 06:02:54 AM »

We are taking great care as it creeps all around us 4 families in the same road have now been infected.  horror
It is not over by a long way. Try and stay safe.

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1989 on: January 13, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »

The blackbirds don’t like competition but here are half a dozen gorging on the fallen Bramley apples which are left for this reason. Tensions are high.

A few minutes earlier there were 4 fieldfares joining in with them.
Elsewhere they’ve pretty much cleaned up the cotoneaster berries. Now there’s a fine shrub, alive with bees when the little flowers are ready.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:21:15 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1990 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »

Immediately after posting my last post yesterday,
   Mrs Biff walked into the room and told me she had to go to Dongal town for another Covid19 test,
  Now we don't go out and about unless absolutely necessary and only wearing masks and visors . She had rung the new doctor for a prescription for her cough. She has a touch of asthma. Straight away he booked her into the testing station in Donegal Town for 12,40, so out we went over the mountain and bang o 12 40 w pulledup to the door of the old school. There was no other caring a car park that was big enough for 100 cars. Less than ten minutes later we are en route home. A quick call to the new doc and he faxed the prescription through to the chemist in the village. We were back home with the stove lit at 1.30pm. We both agree that even though it is a bit of a nuisance  ultimately, it is the only way to be sure. It is also a good way to ensure that we will not bother the doctor unless we are absolutely scundered with illness.
    Our new felines are the wildest and most nervous we have ever had.I get glimpses of these glossy moggies. Always moving and impossible to photograph. Unless I am mistaken, there is something rather odd about the kitten,s head,  it's  ears are very close together and straight up.
   The feeding cage for Freda was something I employed before but this year I have a similar idea where I feed them in a spot where they are protected by thick brambles and only they are nimble enough to access it. Yet the blackbirds do try and pay the price as Freda launches frequent ambushs on them,
  The quiet morning walk is good. It is not freezing and I have never known the place as quiet. We have another 24 hours to wait till the test results. We are not worried.
 We have no news on any vaccine program but we know that the authorities will do their best.
   Biff
 Mrs Biff,s test results txted back negative, so we are both happy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:08:18 PM by biff » Logged

Fintray

« Reply #1991 on: January 13, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »

Good the hear your wife's result was negative, stay safe.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1992 on: January 13, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »

Pleased for the negative result. Take care

Kidwelly South Wales
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1993 on: January 13, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »

Good to hear  Biff , say hello from the crazy Irish-German Man  down way way South  Ireland  garden

so funny that most of us never met ,  i forwarded Camilli..  post about hydro  to a West Cork community ,  brilliant achievement    https://vimeo.com/496830781

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1994 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »

It's  good news indeed Billi
     Hopefully, Somewhere, someone, will pick up on it and make it work in West Cork. You never know, Never say never and maybe as Spring rolls in and then Summer pushes this Damd virus back in it's box, You could take a trip North to Donegal and be very welcome in Chez Biff.
 I have already invited Paul and he says he would definitely
 Love to travel to Donegal. It would be something to look forward to.
    Biff

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: