navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 407287 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1995 on: January 13, 2021, 06:27:09 PM »

Guess its time to rent a Tesla in Munich  and go for a ride to Scotland  and Donegal ......   bloody hell,    where is my sleeping bag  surrender

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1996 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »

👍,
 Be sure to take the Tesla,
  The one with the big battery,  wow wow,
  I wonder could we swop the cells for some mature Forklift ones.
    It's down hill all the way to Cork , from Donegal and there is brilliant self charging on the Tesla,
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1997 on: January 13, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »

Good plan , we butcher that  forklift battery into that Tesla,  Biff  .....  and downhill to Cork

Anyway  hope you are keeping well

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
pantsmachine

« Reply #1998 on: January 13, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »

The infection rates soar,
       Suddenly we find ourselves with the highest infection rate in Europe  or on the planet,
  Surely not,, apparently yes .
 Letterkenny Hosp is treating patients  in ambulances, in its car park and other operations have been cancelled.
 Remote places like Bealmullet  which showed no signs of Covid19 is now showing among the highest infection rate in Ireland. I will not mention Sligo Hosp,
  We have a lot of hard work to do to put this right.
  Stay safe, stay away, stay at home.
      Biff

You should see it in Cairo, No masks out on the streets, no social distancing, i watched people grogging on the floor in Govt buildings. Yet, very little covid....reported. Thanks UK press, we love being pariahs! I'm giving strong consideration to flying on to Turkey from Cairo and staying at our place there until Spring at least.  wackoold Be safe y'all.

P.S The doc was medi-vacced off the ship last night with breathing difficulties, waiting to hear results on his PCR, marvellous!

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
9.6kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Burley W/Stove
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Veg patches & wood fired hot tub
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1999 on: January 15, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »

Back again after the internet was down for 2 days due to a problem with the rural telephone wires. Itís worrying how normal life stops without it, especially when itís mid January in the middle of a plague and itís 48 hours of non-stop rain and snow. Even yesterdayís dog walking became a truncated affair. It was back to reading old newspaper articles and finishing abandoned crosswords and sudokus. I donít yet have a smart phone as an alternative but, from hints, it looks like itís imminent.

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2000 on: January 15, 2021, 11:18:54 AM »

Don't do it Stan.  Remain human. stir

I had a smart phone went back to my old nokia 2g just found the new thing too annoying whenever I actually wanted to use it to phone it always decided that it need to update, full of bloatware that you don't want and you cannot delete. tracks your every move. No you cannot stop it tracking you, you can only stop it telling you that it is tracking you. Too big. Too intrusive.

Conversely, Mrs T is welded to her smartphone.

I really like my tablet to read and look at the web.

My mobile  phone I use for emergencies in that old fashion function to phone people.

Rant over.

I also have a fountain pen! facepalm

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2001 on: January 15, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »

Tod,  That made me laugh out loud, fingers crossed!
       Mrs Biff buys me a phone every few years, I am on Tesco pay as you go, 15 euros a month.  For that, I get world wide access. I don't do Faceoff or twittery, Mrs Biff does and I guess I am probably lumped in there but not by choice. I am aware that I am being tracked and l my enquiries noted, They seem to know exactly what I like and translated old interviews with Saul Alvarez and live access to the training camp crop up at convenient times, I am very aware that this is not everybody,s cup of tea but I place a high value on it.
 The video calls give me live access to Texas, France or Northumberland in real time.
 To share time with family members..To take them to my work bench and show them items of interest.
 I use my camera phone to record layout before disassembly. Th micrometer and my phone camera are very good friends.
  I once got a call from a rather irate professional auto electrician who was giving out to me because the PV panels that I sold his client to put on top of his camper were not producing any power worth talking about. I asked him did he have video call facilities to which he said yes and the panels were installed on top of the camper.
  I made a forgivable mistake when he came into view,  The panels were indeed on top of the camper but the camper was inside a large shed with no sunlight getting through the roof. He was not in a forgiving mood when he noted I was grinning from ear to ear.
   The phone is handy when the wrong people come pull up on our Street. It is not so much that they see the phone but more to record their visit and vehicle registration which can later be shared.. There is a very good community watch in the area. Quick pics of potential creeping burglars,s vehicles works well as does short videos of potential fly tippers. It is not that I am going around eith my phone in my hand taking pics and being a pest but there are times that the alarm bells go off and the hounds don't  bark for nothing.
   There is no guarantee that Duckago is any better or more secure than Google, Recent revelations state that many of the security cameras sold by Amazon are actually broadcasting the family,s movements on the net, instead of protecting them. This is not meant to alarm you Pants,
  I know that you are well ahead of the game but even Alex can be easily hacked. The most recent advice is to have different passwords for every single task in the house.
Yet, the Amazon security cameras are a nasty surprise.
    These phones shape our lives. You cannot blame us for having a certain amount of paranoia regarding them.
 It seems that every single electronic item is now capable of spying on us. Even the latest baby monitor.
    Food for thought,
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #2002 on: January 15, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »

I resisted the smartphone for a long time, until I found that people weren't talking to me; they were all on farcebook, wot-zap, or any number of other social media sites. As soon as I put the NHS tracker on my phone, I gave in and joined farcebook. I use it for comms with my YL, research and sharing of ideas in various tech-groups.
Now, I spend too much time on it, but it is a reference-library in my pocket. I can ask a question in a group about a topic, and someone else has already done the searching and making the mistakes in order to make it easier for me :-)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2003 on: January 15, 2021, 11:13:36 PM »

"But now it is a reference library in my pocket "
   Exactly N2.
      Biff

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #2004 on: January 16, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »

Morning Biff, all I need to do is touch the 'google' icon on the screen, and when the search window opens there is a little picture of a microphone; tap that and say the subject you wish to know about. You have to speak as clearly as you can, or it shows you something irrelevant.
It's not the actual library, but a library ticket in your pocket. If you synchronise your smartarse phone to your PC you can see the search results on either.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2005 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »

I agree N2,
          One thing is sure, I have benefited from my phone in almost every direction. I can hunt down reviews on arthritis medication. Read directives from John Hopkins scientists,  Take evasive action after reading through 72 reviews on a certain drug, (72 was just one lot). Dumping that drug and composing a letter to the said consultant , asking for an apology and all the fees that I had paid him to that date, My wife, a retired nurse, shook her head and said, "Biff, These people are gods". To which I replied
 We will see.. within 2 weeks I had my apology and full refund of fees going back 3 years. I replied, accepting his apology and stating that my own life revealed many mistakes , I thanked him for his prompt reply and told him I had moved on. (I was a private patient), Despite what many might view as a reckless path, pointing out potential fruitful litigations. I just wanted to be able to live pain free.
  I was offered consultations and put on a course of medicines which I maintained for some 10 months, until I started delving into what I was taking. Then I dropped 3 different drugs. It too at least 3 months to return to normality. The drugs are of course deliberate poison, designed to kick start my own immune  system into looking after me properly.
  If I am not sure  Out comes the phone and within 10 minutes, I have all the pros and cons. I have no doubt that I owe my present decent state of health to the net and my phone.
My eye consultant was, Charming,  Brilliant  and something else. On one of my last visits, She had her assistant nurse hold my head in a head lock on to a rest, where she opened my right eye wide and plunged a syringe down into it and unloaded a cocktail of steroids.
  It was very well executed, I could tell by the horrified look on her right hand man,s face that somehow things were not quite 100%. My wife was present and saw this demo.
   Afterwards, my consultant explained that everything was going well and that she would be ready to operate on the other eye within 2 weeks.
    My phone revealed that I was taking enough drugs to stun a small town. We had a 90 minute drive home and agreed that the left eye would be left alone for the foreseeable future. With the help of our dependable optician I chartered a course that reduced the amount of stuff that I was taking down to 20% while maintaining good low pressure and healthy eyes. I learned that my right eye would need 2 years to recover,  My brilliant consultant  simply disappeared. Then Covid19 reared it,s head. Sometimes I think I am behaving like a petty old Jessey but I know how I felt loaded to the gills with those drugs and My blood nurse asking me on the phone, "Biff you must be drinking very heavy, " I told her I was building a new extension to the Bog Hotel. No way she said,  It's closed ages ago. I ever touch alcohol but the bloods results were alarming. It was as if there was a competion as to which branch of medicine  could pop my clogs first.
     After a midnight session on my box, playing and singing, murdering them all out of a face,  from Bobby Bare To Guthrie,  Dylan to Cash,  they all fell before me..
  I want to view myself as an improved Bobby Bare with Tequila Sheila but the recording reveals a voice a cross between Tiny Tim and Barry McGuigan handing over his belts to Steve Cruz in round 10 in that car park in Las Vegas all those years ago. The phone don't  lie.
  Pensive and not at all defeated, I scrolled about looking for the music for "The Trap". The score for that film that starred Oliver Reed and Rita Tushingham. There is that Canadian Trad song     "I,ll build you a home in the meadow" It's near 1am . I cannot find it but I land on another song,   Goodness me,,,,,,Stevie Nick's singing Red River Valley, I think she was between Coke and the substitute, talk about drugs,,  but what a singer. Live on stage with Chris Issacs. Christine McVie is there as well. Yee Gods,,,
 What a lockdown, what a phone...
      Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2006 on: January 20, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »

Morning was murky,
         Heavy banks of fog shrouded the bog,  Our banks were showing low but nothing under 126vdc under load, bearing in mind that very little has been harvested these past few days, But, Here Comes The Sun, (Harrison) it has just gone 10am and powerful yellow rays are skimming along the hillside and already our controllers are perking up.
    Farther afield  an angry man has left Washington with a football. His annual Floridian tenure of 14 days per year has already expired. It remains to be seen as to which country he will emigrate too but airforce 1 will no longer be at his beck and call. Yet he has 74 million reasons to stay. With an ailing aged president elect who health is being carefully monitored, anything can happen. My old Mam, in her day would say, " There's definitely something in the water"
 We wish them God speed with the recovery and share their grief of their 400,000 dead.
  Closer to home we had 93 deaths yesterday, The highest recorded deaths since the pandemic began. We knew that this was coming but it is still a shock. There is crazy talk of opening certain schools but the teachers are saying NO.
  Farther south there is serious flooding. There are reports of heavy snow on the way. My shed projects are at a standstill. I scheme and plan, the livestock benefit. Freda and the kid are mortal enemies. I feed them at separate places. We have two kittens after all. These must be the most elusive moggies ever. When this is all over, our local supermarket will more than likely get some award for going above and beyond the call of duty. They will well deserve it. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. I can now get a month out of 2 gallon of petrol in my car. Touchwood,  it has proved to be ultra reliable. I could even grow to love it a little. If it passes it,s next test, I will kit it out in new front shocks and springs and perhaps a pair of Firestones on the front. They made a day and night difference to my old ZX. But right now. Motoring is not in vogue, apart from emergencies.
  Stay safe folks
      Biff.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2007 on: January 22, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »

a beautiful but cold morning rather spoilt by fast military jets doing low level training circuits.
A possible solution and an increase in realism presents itself.

https://www.indiacontent.in/chandipur--quick-reaction-surface-to-air-missile--qrsam--system-developed-by-the-defence-research-and-development-organisation--drdo--successfully-flight-tested-from-integrated-test-range-in-chandipur-off-the-coast-of-odisha--on-dec-23--2019--photo-/pr-920195/

To buy online surrender surrender

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #2008 on: January 22, 2021, 06:55:36 PM »

Crikee Eeee Tod,
         You are much safer with a bow and arrow. fingers crossed!
     Biff.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #2009 on: January 23, 2021, 06:14:30 AM »

As the stoppings rattled in my teeth as they passed overhead I looked online and was staggered to see they come in three sizes. surrender

Perishing this morning and very icy, on with the high viz vest and a slide up the road with the boy waiting for light before we walk properly.

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 [134] 135   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: