navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diy batteries  (Read 2389 times)
djs63

« on: October 22, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »

help:is it possible to make your own batteries? Since they consist of a box, lead plates, a couple of terminals and some acid, the recipe sound simple.
Navitron forum seems to have people who have made everything else! Why not batteries? Though how scaffolding poles would fit in I do not know.
 flyingpig

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »

Excellent assumption djs63,
                   I am full of admiration for your intelligent references to scaffold poles. You have it spot on. Scaffold poles go a long way to helping with batteries,
   All you have to do is buy a nasty battered out old forklift with a nice new replacement battery. Make sure that the yoke is still capable of driving a few hundred yards.
      Drive the forklift to its new business address and then disconnect the big fat anderson to the left of your knees. Lift the lid and connect the + to your controller+ and the - to your controller -.
    Then take some scaffold pole and Tarp. and  errect a nice shelter over your most cherished purchase.
   There is a method for making stone soup, but I have no idea how that could be done.
                                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
lynall

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »

help:is it possible to make your own batteries? Since they consist of a box, lead plates, a couple of terminals and some acid, the recipe sound simple.
Navitron forum seems to have people who have made everything else! Why not batteries? Though how scaffolding poles would fit in I do not know.
 flyingpig

How its made did a programme on making batteries, I havent seen it for some time but would hazard a guess its on youtube somewhere, its not just lead plats, theres some sort of paste on/in the plate themselves.
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

DJS
don't bother, A very rudimentary lead acid battery can be made out of some lead, but it will not perform very well.

Back in about 1990 I visited the now long gone Tungstone Battery Plant in Market Harborough, to witness some teardown tests on some of our 20 Year old Plante cells, to ascertain the condition of the group bar to plate lug lead burn joints. As well as that and a nice pub lunch, The afternoon was spent touring the factory to see the manufacture of Plante, Valve Regulated lead acid  and car batteries. Each different but also similar in some respects, namely the negative plate construction.

Negative plates are composed of spongy lead pressed into a grid Formally Lead antimony, now less antimony and more calcium,

Spongy lead manufacture is complex and requires lots of charge conditioning to form it.

The positive Plante plates are ridged  (lammelled) to increase the surface area. Formed originally from pure lead, they are also conditioned by charging prior to final assembly.

VRLA and car battery plates are of a pasted construction using gridded plates, but a different filling.

So do not try making batteries of this type. You will end up poisoning yourself and polluting your neighbourhood.

Philip R
dhaslam

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:23 AM »

Batteries can be made in other ways.  With a good inexpensive organic source  on a large scale it  might be feasible.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
clockmanFR

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »

I had one of my big Gel batts loose a cell, 6 cell compartments for a 12v battery.

As the battery was f.ecked and as it was gel I took it apart to look see.

Interestingly the cell had expanded up and pushed the Negative to foul with incoming Positive lead internal strap, but then the design of these straps was only 6mm clearance on a good cell.   facepalm

Pulled the cra.p cell out and the plates were sandwiched with a felt soaked acid material. Then I created a new 6 plate cell with thin lead sheet, lots in the UK and thin Zink, lots in France. and use the plastic of the battery top case to make a comb to keep my plates apart.

I have lots of 80% grade Sulphuric acid, as I use it in silver work, so mixed a 20 to 1 and hay presto the battery lived.

Faults
1.                  I recreated about 60% of the surface area of the plates, but the amps from this new cell was abysmal, about only 10% of the original output.
2.                  As Phillip R, says, Modern batts use a grid  matrix plate that gives a vast superior surface area and the oxides give better plate transfer etc.

Conclusion.

A.        Not worth my time and effort, compared to the price of a manufactured New battery.
B.         Interesting to see that a battery can be put together and work with simple materials.

If I came across some proper made battery containers that were really big and had good plate separation combs that were still usable, then maybe one day.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
SimonD

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:35:30 AM »

You could try this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Battery-Builders-Guide-Recondition/dp/0983784752

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: