navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: small charging idea  (Read 3484 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: December 26, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »

i search for a small chager for my batteries
i would say if  we would have a automated green source of a battery charger in addition to the pv and wind turbines
with a small battery then -----off grid solutions could be sold or promoteted more easy 

batteries die of too much or too deep discharge cycles 

up to now i did not find a product  afordable to maintain the battery  , or just preventing the deep cycles

perhaps the hamster driven alternator  or wispergen in ten years

just a device of 100 watt per hour with no damage to nature would be great

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:48:22 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Ivan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »

If you are looking for something cheap, and don't want anything fancy, try looking for a small "switch mode power supply" - often cheap options on ebay. You could probably use something like the Morning Star Tristar controller to provide the control, regulation, taper charge etc. - but you'd need to check this out, as I haven't read the instructions in detail (you can download them from the download area of our new website

Ivan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 10:56:04 PM »

ivan
that sounds fine but were is the juice produced from ?

in my case with a bad batterybank i perhaps could live with them for much longer , because they are still fine with small drawers like tv , lights , computer

but when the waterpump, the cooker or and the toaster,cettle are on.... my exauhsted battery goes down in minutes and the inverter just disconnects from batteries

the idea behind was to avoid this in having the batteries allways topped up by a small unit , then i could live with a small and not so good batterybank

as well that would  increase live span of new batteries a lot if just cycled to 20-50%

cheers billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Gary T

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »

Have you looked at using a gas cooker with grill for your cooking, toasting, and water boiling? I expect that these would be more cost effective than maintaining a large battery pack. As regards the pump, possibly a smaller less powerful pump set up to fill a header tank relatively slowly - as the power is produced could lessen the demand.

For those few heavy drawers used for a few seconds at a time, you might try adding Ultra-capacitors in parallel with the battery pack. This will allow a brief period of high discharge - such as when using an electric drill, as well as protecting the batteries if a brief surge is produced - such as afrom a strong gust of wind. You may also find that more electricity is stored from a small wind turbine during gusty conditions when the ultra-capacitors are added.

http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/index.asp
Bob

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »

Billi

but when the waterpump, the cooker or and the toaster,cettle are on.... my exauhsted battery goes down in minutes and the inverter just disconnects from batteries

Mein Gott Billi (my German is undoubtedly worse than your English Embarrassed)  It just isn't possible to use batteries for that lot.  I could not agree more with Garry.  Get gas or solid fuel.  Electricity is a rare and precious commodity and should only be used for things that cannot run on anything else (lights, computers, hifi etc)

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »

Mein Gott  Bob

That was just an example, and the scenario that normaly not happens

and in relation to my batterybank that doesnot hold much charge but could be used for much longer befor going to be recycled if they would be constantly charged by a small device like a waterturbine or so 

the whole idea behind was to have the batteries  allways topped up  to extend live

our Electricity
consumtion is about half than the average house  Smiley
cheers billi

Gary T

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »

I would say that for relatively low usage, P.V would be the way to go, as wind turbines in an urban environment often perform badly due to low wind speeds, and turbulance. You also have the need for regular servicing. With P.V + Inverter, it's pretty much plug and go - just keep the panels reasonably clean and free of fallen leaves etc. As for hydro-turbines, I would expect the cost and servicing requirements to be similar to a wind turbine, and of course, there are only a few places with the right conditions. For an off grid community, wind turbines are more likely to be cost effective - as you are out of the urban environment, and a larger more cost effective turbine can be used.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »

cheers gary

have my 1.6 kw pv array connected since november..... that reduced my generator runtime a lot ....

two 1kw  windturbines are still on the pallet  since then.. need to get them erected...

would like to get a waterturbine with a waterstorrage lake as an alternative to a huge batterybank  (have only a temporarry stream)  , but the lake i would like to build ( anyhow) could hold the amount of water to produce energy for about 15 days  for our consumption

when i was writing this  first ! all i was hoping is to reduce battery size  ! Not only they are cost intense , 

all little charging ideas like small stirling engines (even not available) or the termoelectric modules ....  could be of a benefit to make it more easy for off grid comunities  and not having to invest in a battery bank that has to store for weeks because there is no wind

regards billi

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:13:50 PM by billi » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: