navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adapting grid tie equipment for off grid.  (Read 5417 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

I came to the conclusion many years ago that me and money are "like poles"........ whistlie

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
camillitech

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »

I came to the conclusion many years ago that me and money are "like poles"........ whistlie

Hard working with an unpronounceable name   Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »

"like poles"........  hysteria
"Hard working with an unpronounceable name"    hysteria

Being me, and as my Sunny Boys are second hand, I have had them apart for minor repairs to the case and repaired/replaced 2 sheared of case screws.

Now, I have designed and made PCB's in the past, until SMD (Surface Mounted Devices) arrived with vengeance and multi layered Boards became the norm.
Looking closely at the SMA stuff and especially the PCB's, the quality of the PCB it self is second to none with ruddy good joints and well spaced and laid out components, and the conformity sealed weather coating is real nicely done.
 So I would like to think that SMA products are very good quality, however looking at the components themselves well that's anybody's guess where they come from. Roll Eyes

I get stuff from China quicker now than it comes from the UK.  facepalm
And as I said before the Regional Post Office Knows me well and does not insist on any surcharges.  whistlie

As Biff said you pay little then expect little, and that seems to be the Norm nowadays.

The Sunny Island was my first Big Buy EVER on my Energy creation. But we here have reached the stage where we had no choice if we wanted to expand our system with over 6 buildings, 3 Gites, that required real power. And of course with the Sunny Island you can just keep paralleling up with others if you want your own Village power system.

Wherever possible we have tried to be cost effective and not just buy in stuff willy nilly, but I plan and await carefully and buy things others disregard when they update.

Like Paul DC cable runs are expensive and AC Coupling is hopefully going to be a cost effective solution for my 100's of meters from building to building.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
freddyuk

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »

This system has Victron Quattro and 2 x PowerOne GT inverters feeding battery bank so customer get's FIT even though he's off grid.Takes a bit of tweaking but it does work.

camillitech

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »

This system has Victron Quattro and 2 x PowerOne GT inverters feeding battery bank so customer get's FIT even though he's off grid.Takes a bit of tweaking but it does work.

Lovely neat install but they look like 5h1te batteries.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
freddyuk

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

Well spotted. As has been said herein it is probably wise to use cheaper battery option first time out until the knowledge base has been expanded and software is understood and under control. These will be swopped out for something a little more robust. Maybe 6v Trojan.
rogeriko

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »

Well spotted. As has been said herein it is probably wise to use cheaper battery option first time out until the knowledge base has been expanded and software is understood and under control. These will be swopped out for something a little more robust. Maybe 6v Trojan.

I do hope your not the installer that has to tell the customer this in about 3 months time!!!    Forklift batteries if money is tight otherwise OPzs 2v cells.  They will last for years, much better than Trojan's.

freddyuk

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »

Options were offered and fully explained. Thus education and  experience are gained without potential large losses. No conning!
camillitech

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »

Thus education and  experience are gained without potential large losses. No conning!

Well, apart from anyone who has ever lived off grid will tell you those batteries are carp, so I'd say quite a lot of money flushed down the toilet really. I've done it, Biff has done it, Billi has done it and my 'off grid' neighbours have done it. We've all bought so called 'leisure batteries', 'marine batteries' and 'dual purpose' batteries and all been left with a pile of scrap lead in less than a year. Lovely install but done by an electrician and not someone with any experience 'off grid'  stir

Cheers, Paul 

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »

Hi Freddy,
           I started off with AGMs,2 strings of 10 in series 20 in total,each 50kgs 105ah x 12v. They were not a lot of fun,it was like trying to drive hill sheep,there would always be one or two batts who would decide to wander off or drop voltage,so I was constantly pulling one out and sticking another in. Then I sold most of those and got a pallet of Yousa 100ah x 40kgs 12v,. These were really good and not a single one of them lay down on the job.Then I drove a 72volt forklift with another 48volt pack on the tines in beside the tower and connected them up as an experiment,just to see, Roll Eyes.Many years later and many sins later they are still working away. These forklift batts were old when I got them but they would never suffer abuse in my system like they would in their day job.They can comfortably run the house for 48 hours without putting a dint in the reserve. So forklifts are the business.However,I would love a set of those 2v OPz cells that Roger mentioned, I love the idea of watching the solar and wind actually bubbling into the cells and the very fact that you can see the action clearly..
  But if I were starting from scratch again,I would not dally with anything less than forflift cells
                                                                               Biff
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:01:38 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
freddyuk

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the good advice. As said, virtually everyone "has done it" so don't be too harsh. I was fully aware of the consequences and as I was working with a friend it was discussed and accepted these were temporary batteries which suited the initial budget at the time. It is not an off grid home but a small business that is very flexible as regards power usage therefore the batteries are not mission critical. There is 10kw of PV which will be available during the day/working time. Controlling the charging regime is not easy without some PWM control which needs to be added in so risking expensive batteries seemed to be risky. Now the system is running and doing what I said (hoped) it would the extra investment can be made as and when.
The FIT income will mitigate the learning curve costs.
I found a lack of knowledge from some of the most well known suppliers which made this system quite a task to complete but there are a few who do know what they are talking about but no surprise they are very busy. A number of paid experts were worse than useless. There was a complete lack of understanding from the MCS installer about off grid/standalone/ non-standalone installations and even the MCS course manager did not know the correct system definitions which would negate any FIT application.
I was responding to the OP to confirm that these type of systems can be made to work which I hope is helpful.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: