navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing to a NON-fits supplier?  (Read 3783 times)
Ivan

« on: November 08, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »

I'm sure this has come up before, so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

I need to change electricity supplier, as our current deal is too expensive, and we've just moved onto Economy7. The most suitable deal is from a company that does not pay FITs, but I have a recent FITs PV System. As it's a recent system, I believe I'm compelled to use my electricity supplier to pay my FITs. However, as the new supplier doesn't offer FITs, what do I do? Does this mean I cannot transfer my business to them without forfeiting FITs, or can I leave my FITs with my current 'big6' supplier and just transfer my import electricity to the new supplier?

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

I'm pretty certain you can leave it where it is.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
car-mark

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »

Hi there

I think if the company you wish to move to does not offer a FITS scheme  then you leave your system with your old supplier (They can not throw you out)

If your new supplier did offer FITS then your old supplier may then ask you to move the production side as well. (Some do some do not)

Cheers Mark
Ivan

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »

Thanks. I've applied to change, so we'll see what happens. We're currently paying 16.5p/kWh with no standing charge, and going to be paying 14p day rate, 6p night rate and 16p/day standing charge. It will be quite handy for running the heatpump in the early hours when there isn't enough daylight to provide all of the heat we need from the solar PV. In the summer, most of our usage is at night, so we should save a bit then, too.

ProDave

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »

Thanks. I've applied to change, so we'll see what happens. We're currently paying 16.5p/kWh with no standing charge, and going to be paying 14p day rate, 6p night rate and 16p/day standing charge. It will be quite handy for running the heatpump in the early hours when there isn't enough daylight to provide all of the heat we need from the solar PV. In the summer, most of our usage is at night, so we should save a bit then, too.
Would you mind telling me who is offering that rate as I can't find anyone that cheap for economy 7?

also are they fitting the dual rate meter, or do you need to be on E7 with another supplier first?

4KW Solar PV,  4.5KW woodburner, 5KW Air source heat pump
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

Sorry - missed your question.

I'm with Scottish Power. The price does depend on where you are in the country as well as the supplier. Try Moneysupermarket.com or similar to compare the various utility providers for your area (they'll ask you for a postcode).

BruceB

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »

I have changed electricity suppliers a couple of times since installing PV at home. It is simply not an issue. The fit account has remained with eon whilst the import account moves.
Ivan

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

With the earlier FIT systems, you could lodge them wherever you liked (they didn't even need to be with your supplier). They changed the rules at some point (c.2013?) so that you MUST have your FITs with your power supplier, and if you change supplier, you need to move your FITs too, unless your new supplier is not bound by the FITs legislation (eg one of the small companies that have chosen to opt out).

In the end I opted for Scottish Power. They had a slightly night rate, but lower elsewhere (standing charge and night rate, lower I think). They're definitely a FITs supplier. I've told them on the phone and I've email them, but so far nothing back from them. I don't know whether it's automatically moved or whether I have to initiate something.

BruceB

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »

I did not know that. Have you got a reference? I do not think my original fit contract with eon has any condition like that and they have shown no inclination to make me change since I moved to npower then Scottish Power.

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:48:19 PM by BruceB » Logged
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »

I don't think this part of the FiTs legislation has changed in any substantial way since it was introduced.

There are 3 types of electricity suppliers as far as FiTs is concerned - Mandatory Licensees, Voluntary Licensees and non-FiTs (a small supplier who has decided not to be a Voluntary Licensee).

Mandatory Licensees are those electricity suppliers with 250,000 or more customers. They must offer a FiTs contract to everyone they supply, everyone who is supplied by a non-Mandatory supplier and anyone who is off-grid. They can opt to offer FiTs contracts to others if they wish (i.e. customers of other Mandatory Licensees).

Voluntary Licensees are those with fewer than 250,000 customers who decide to opt-in to administer FiT payments. They must offer a FiT contract to the customers they supply who have systems of 50kW and less, and they can also decide to offer FiTs contracts to others if they wish.

These criteria only apply when a FiT contract is first taken out. There are no obligations in the legislation concerning switching suppliers at a later date other than both Mandatory and Voluntary Licensees must cooperate in the switching process if a customer wishes to move their FiT contract.

Suppliers may make other provisions in their contracts with generation customers, but it would be unlawful if any conditions were to contradict these terms governing FiTs, which are a part of their Standard Conditions of Electricity Supply Licences, under which they must operate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/274136/20121012_-_SLC_33_2012_-_final.pdf

Volunteer moderator
Pat_

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:25 PM »

What no one ever seems to address is whether switching involves a new contract at the current rates or whether the original rate is somehow transferred. It always seemed to me that a new contract would not be obligated to use the rate in operation at the time of a previous contract.
Ivan

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »

My reference is personal correspondence with the head of microgeneration at SSE/Swalec. I've got it in an email somewhere, but it's a few years ago, so on my old (defunct) laptop.

If I can keep the FITs where they are with the old company, that would certainly save a lot of effort - I've no great desire to transfer the FITs.

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

Pat, just switching your FiT to another supplier will not change the FiT tariff, as it will not change the Eligible Date. You would stay on the original 25/20 year term. Any 'switching' documentation should make that clear.

Ivan, I would guess that SSE/Swalec do not fully understand the conditions of the Licence under which they operate. Below is what the latest OFGEM Guide for Suppliers says about switching; the only possible snag is if there are multiple systems sharing a single meter and the customer is trying to switch fewer than all of their systems:

Switching

5.66. All FIT Licensees have a duty to facilitate the switching of a FIT Generator from one FIT Licensee to another and ensure the FIT services are appropriately managed during this process. The CFR facilitates the switching process.

5.67. When approached by a FIT Generator requesting a switch, a FIT Licensee shall check the status of the accredited FIT installation the FIT Generator wishes to switch on the CFR. More details on this can be found in the Central FIT Register User Guide.

5.68. The CFR will indicate whether there are any other accredited FIT installations on the same site. If there are, the FIT Licensee is then required to contact Ofgem’s CFR Team to confirm whether any meter sharing arrangements occur on that site. Ofgem will provide the FIT Licensee with FIT IDs of all installations sharing the meter as the FIT Licensee should ensure that all installations sharing the same meter are being switched. Ofgem will monitor whether all installations sharing the same meter have switched to the same FIT Licensee.

5.69. If the FIT Generator's current FIT Licensee gives consent to the switch, both FIT Licensees shall agree the switch date and a generation and/or export meter reading on that date.

5.70. During the process the new FIT Licensee should ensure that it has received all the necessary information about the FIT Generator. Most of the information is available on the CFR, however the following needs to be captured during the switching process from the previous FIT Licensee:
 - When the export opt in/opt out choice has last been made
 - Copy of the relevant declarations (for example, grants)

5.71. The new FIT Licensee has rights to object to the switch if the key information is missing, e.g. the FIT Generator has not had its meter verified as required. If both FIT Licensees express no objections to the switch throughout the process, they and the FIT Generator will be notified once the switch is complete.

5.72. The previous FIT Licensee shall be obliged to pay all FIT payments due to the FIT Generator up to the switch date.

5.73. FIT Licensees should ensure that the closing generation meter read and, where relevant, export meter read with the existing FIT Licensee matches the opening meter read(s) with the new FIT Licensee.

5.74. The new FIT Licensee shall be obliged to pay all FIT payments from the switch date. The new FIT Licensee shall have the responsibility for amending the CFR to reflect the fact that the switching process is completed.

5.75. The new FIT Licensee shall follow the same process regarding registration and statement of FIT terms as discussed above.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/85460/fitsupplierguidanceversion6.0final1.pdf

And, as I said before, all this only happens if the customer requests a switch.

Volunteer moderator
Pat_

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »

Thanks Ted!
snyggapa

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

my FITs are with Good Energy and I have switched my E7 supplier from npower (incumbent at the time) to OVO and recently to Scottish Power. My FITs haven't been affected and remain with Good Energy

-Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: