navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartmeters (again :) )  (Read 702 times)
marshman

« on: November 27, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »

Not sure this is the right section but it'll do for now.

Just received a letter from SSE saying "We're ready to install your smart meters, so book today".

OK you think BUT SSE are no longer my energy supplier, they haven't been since Jan 2016. However, I am registered with them for FiTs on my PV system. My FiT account number appeared on the letter.  My current (pun intended) electricity supplier is Co-op energy (they took over my account from the now defunct GB Energy).

Anyway I called the number on the SSE letter and after enduring the spiel about how the smartmeter will save me money and make my life generally better in every way the call center rep. asked when would be convenient to come and install the meter. I explained SSE didn't supply me with energy and that I thought it was the energy supplier who fitted the meter, I gave them the account number on the letter. After much tapping of the keyboard, and lots of chatting "with the manager" I was then told that they would put a stop on the account so that they would no longer send out smartmeter letters to me.

I was tempted to let them come and change the meter but the thought of the chaos that would ensue, especially as my existing meter is an export meter for the PV (I'm on metered not deemed export), was too much.

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
regen

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:58:52 AM »

Had exactly the same letter -I am a FIT customer but left them as a supplier many years ago. Don't really know why i am still with them for FITS after all the problems getting paid in the early years? Patience or apathy!

Noticed in the small print the requirement for mobile connection and if no good then future readings would be based on estimates so as our mobile only works sometimes and then only if used outdoors and pointing in the right direction and my doubts about them metering export i will not bother to answer.

Knowing how incompetent they can be I would double check that they have not frozen your FIT account!

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
marshman

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

HI Regen,
I didn't change the FiT as there was no financial incentive to do so, also couldn't face the hassle as I extended my system (by 1 extra panel) a few months after install so have 2 MCS certificates - I could foresee problems if I moved so left it with SSE.

I submit my quarterly readings in 5 days time so will find out then if any "damage" has been done. At least the people you speak to in the FiTs office seem to know what they are talking about, the person on the Smartmeter "desk" was just reading from a script and just didn't understand the question!

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
dickster

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »

Just changing from SSE to Ecotricity before solar goes in so as to avoid the above. Ditto crapsmartmeter, no mobile signal, absolutely of no benefit whatsoever, other than to meter manufacturers.
regen

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

long article in Daily mail yesterday (3 pages) on the woes of having a smart meter fitted.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »

The latest report from the National Audit Office on Smartmeter rollout - published 23 Nov 2018.

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/rolling-out-smart-meters/

Volunteer moderator
JohnS

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:36:53 PM »

Does anyone actually know which energy companies are now installing only SMETS2  meters instead of trying to fob us off with SMETS1 meters?

2.1kWp solar PV
linesrg

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:22 AM »

Good Morning All,

Two words come to mind, one is disaster the other is unmitigated.

I really don't understand what SMETS1 meters were deployed in such numbers when it was patently obvious they weren't going to deliver what was required?

Regards

Richard

1.28kW panels on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 1.28kW panels/SB1700, 1.28kW panels/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL Solar ET panels & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.145kW panels/ SMA SB3000TL-21/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWh battery & a Renault Zoe
azps

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:16 AM »

I really don't understand what SMETS1 meters were deployed in such numbers when it was patently obvious they weren't going to deliver what was required?

I think I understand the reasoning as to why it was done, and why it made sense. Here's what I understand.

SMETS 2 needed the DCC (the central signalling yard for smart-meter data) to be operational, but the smart-meter rollout was able to precede the DCC going fully live, by starting with SMETS 1 meters.

Most of the installed SMETS 1 meters can be converted to use the DCC with an over-the-air upgrade, thus keeping their smart functionality even after switching suppliers.

Having millions of SMETS 1 meters out there that can easily be converted to use the DCC, means that the DCC can scale up its operations, and adjust the pace of that scaling up, easily.

SMETS 1 meters gave retailers chance to get used to working with smart meters without having to deal with the complexity and expense of going through the DCC, because communication in SMETS 1 is direct between retailer and customer, without the DCC intermediary.

And the SMETS 1 roll-out got smart meters out there at scale, so the market for all the additional stuff would start to grow too: time-of-use tariff experiments, non-intrusive load-disaggregation techniques, communication hubs, interfaces with other home devices, and so on.

Disclosure: A brand-new university smart-meter research programme does pay part of my salary. It will be doing a public launch very soon, and looking to enroll participants. But when I post on this forum, I'm writing in a wholly and purely personal capacity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:45:36 AM by azps » Logged

Barrie

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »

Here's the So Energy Blog which explains what and why they are not currently installing smart meters:

Smart meters are an initiative by the British Government, their roll out is part of a plan to upgrade and digitalise Britainís energy supply, bringing us a step closer to a smart grid, and ultimately helping to tackle climate change. By 2020 the government aims to have smart meters in every home in England, Wales, and Scotland (which means smart meters in more than 26 million homes!).

Smart meters measure both electricity and gas usage, letting you monitor your usage in pounds and pence, as well as digitally (and automatically!) sending meter readings to your energy supplier. Energy suppliers can also access your smart meter to change the details of your tariff and switch your meter between different modes, but donít worry they wonít do this without consulting you first. Smart meters are also important as they are one of the first steps in the digitalisation of the energy industry in the UK, you can read more about this below.

When you first get your smart meters installed, youíll have the option of a nifty little device called an 'In-home display' (also known as an IHD). The IHD is a small, battery operated device that keeps you up to date with your energy usage. It monitors your usage digitally, showing you how much energy youíre using, what your usage costs and how much CO2 your house is producing. The whole thing is tied together nicely with another clever little gadget called a 'communications hub' which allows your smart meter to talk to your IHD and your energy supplier.

Ultimately smart meters are there to help you as much as they are to help us. They will cut down on those little jobs like submitting your readings and most importantly help avoid nasty surprises with your bills.

Just having a smart meter installed wonít necessarily save you money, but it will monitor your usage, giving you all the tools you need to track how much you are spending. Back in 2016 the government issued a cost-benefit report on smart meters where they forecast a saving of £26 on an annual dual fuel bill, last month MPs came out and revised this number down to £11.

Smart meters are one of the first steps in the digitalisation of energy infrastructure in the UK, bringing us closer to what is known as a smart grid. This is one of the reasons that the government has been campaigning so hard for smart meters.

A smart grid is a modern way of running our energy networks, working like an internet system but for electricity and gas! Smart grids should help solve issues that currently plague the industry Ė primarily matching supply and demand in a more efficient manner, but they should also promote the uptake of green energy, and create a more honest and transparent industry for all.

Okay, so if smart meters are so great, why arenít we rolling them out just yet? Smart meters are great! And we do believe that they have many benefits. Weíre all for digitalisation, and a smart grid, but at So Energy weíre also all about honesty, weíre looking forward to the future of smart energy but we believe that smart meters arenít quite there yet.

Currently, smart meters are in the first generation stage (SMETS 1 meters). First generation smart meters can only be remotely read by the energy supplier who installed them. So, if weíve rolled out the first generation smart meters, and you decided to switch away, your new supplier wouldnít be able to digitally read your meters. We donít think it would be fair that you would feel the need to stay with us just because we installed a smart meter for you. Second generation smart meters (SMETS 2 meters) will combat this issue, and give you the freedom to switch to the supplier of your choice, whilst allowing them to read your smart meter digitally and remotely for you. This will promote a smart future for us all! We expect SMETS 2 meters to be more widely rolled out from June 2019 onwards.

Already have a smart meter and want to switch to So Energy? You can do that too! (You might still have to read your meter like a traditional meter!)

The smart meter program is currently voluntary, so if you donít want one, you donít have to have one. Simple as that!

Milton Keynes
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »

Having millions of SMETS 1 meters out there that can easily be converted to use the DCC, means that the DCC can scale up its operations, and adjust the pace of that scaling up, easily.

Reading the NAO report, this part seems to be the most likely to be not just undelivered but actually undeliverable.

Quite why DCC wasn't designed-in from the start is a complete mystery to me. Anyone with any experience in the area (e.g. with meter systems used from the 100kW market 20+ years ago) would have told them so.

Volunteer moderator
kristen

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »

Ditto crapsmartmeter, no mobile signal, absolutely of no benefit whatsoever, other than to meter manufacturers.

They came out here to install before discovering insufficient signal ...

maybe I dodged a bullet, but I had been looking forward to "more data"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: