navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrared Heating Panels  (Read 3222 times)
Tiff

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

True, but to be fair

Yes, but, maybe....  I simply responded to the poster.  Not interested in 'weaseling' words in advertising hype.  You don't buy a double decker bus if the only passenger is the driver!  A double decker bus would obviously use more fuel than a fiat 500.  As I said, horses for courses?  There, perhaps, lies the problem - the poster has not fully understood the wording in the advertising?  I would expect that to be the case as the fair trading rules mean that advertising, while precise, is wrapped up in a way to fool joe public into thinking something else than that which is actually written down.  Called 'spin' when politicians spout about things.

Yes, I agree - and I also think there are enough clear and concise posts pointing out the pros and cons to enable anyone reading to see through the advertising and spin.

A cheaper alternative, while not as atractive could be to buy some of the ceramic radiant heaters used for reptiles. These come with standard ES fittings and only cost around a fiver each.
Mike McMillan

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »

We may have a building that is going to need a complete revamp. A friend has installed Infrared heaters in his shop and swears by them. The manufacturers are claiming impressive savings in power. If true, surely they would be more universally adopted. Anyone have recent experience of them?

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/infrared-heating-panels/

Mike

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »

... Be careful in rooms with not much persons in it , the room temperature does not seem/feel  to rise  as it happened to my expectation , so i am not too convinced  that they safe power  , for example in a  room i insrtalled a 2.4 kw  infrared panel under plaster and a room temostat ,  to not allow to go below 10 į  but it seems  the  heater is on all night ...
But maybee i did something wrong ...

If i would have known that this company  does infrared elements in the next village  from me , i would have tested those cheap units  first , as they seem to work in many places as outside heaters , maybe worth while to  get one of their infrared lightbulps or heat elements ...

https://www.ceramicx.com/shop/large-full-trough-element/

Hope there is not a lot of diffrence inbetween types of "infrared heaters "  whistlie

Billi

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:10:03 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
kristen

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »

We have them in the office. Converted barn (previous owner ...), insulation was OK for the time it was done, but not brilliant as-of-now. They had a couple of old fashioned radiators dotted about ... we needed to partition the space, and have flexibility for future rearrangements, so we went with far-infrared panels. They are the 2-foot-square type that just fit in the suspended ceiling.

In some rooms, without suitable suspended ceilings, we either have flat-panels on the walls instead, or things that look like old fashioned bathroom heaters (except they don't glow red Smiley) up in the eaves

In practice works well (with some caveats) and has been cheaper to run than I was expecting - and we avoided the whole Boiler / Wet-system / maintenance / etc. cost and, of course, moving them around is pretty trivial.

I think they are used in one of the [recently renovated] big London stations, but I'm not turning anything up on Google

Caveats:

Doesn't heat under-the-desk, so people complain their feet are cold.  For those people we stuck another, small, panel [same tech] under their desk

Hooked up to thermostat one-per-room. Original thermostats could not switch the power for the panel, so there were also additional solenoids, which have not been 100% reliable ... so we are back to "maintenance" albeit different to the annual boiler type.

Monday morning, after a perishingly cold weekend (all heaters off) is cold. That's probably mostly down to the useless Heatmiser <spit> Thermostat and Controller. The weather compensation has a max of 2 hour, and it needs more than that if the ambient is heading down to 10C to get it up to "acceptable"

Apparently (I don't remember the details) there was some issue in places where the suspended ceiling void-clearance was shallow- with upwards heat needing to be shielded to prevent it melting something. Pretty much all our ceiling-voids did not have this issue.

Upside:

Walk into meetings room, with heaters off (or actually "fallback" of say 16C), turn up the thermostat and everyone in the room feels warm straightaway.  So if people will be energy conscious and turn down in unoccupied rooms, then probably very economical.  In practice, if FRED is not in tomorrow, I very much doubt that anyone is knocking-down their thermostat for the day ... although, that said: I think (can check if you like) that the office manager does do some such fiddling. Users cannot exceed Manager's Max-Setting for room stat, and I think they may all be set back to 16C overnight, so when you come in in the morning you have to turn up your room ... so if I've got that right any absent-today rooms would not be heated/much.

Newer thermostats we have ARE able to directly switch the current required, but not had them long so no idea if they will be more reliable than the old ones + solenoid.

If your "complete revamp" is going to sort out insulation (and why wouldn't it?) then you might be better off with reversible air-source heat-pump and fan units in each room, so you have benefit of Summer cooling as well as winter Heat.

We've looked at that for a new part of the office (well insulated), and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet, but the quote was much cheaper for individual external ASHP units for each office (which mean stacking them outside as well as loads dotted-about and would look bloody awful ...) rather than One Jumbo ASHP Unit serving all the internal fan units.

If anyone knows why the cost for a single Jumbo ASHP compressor unit would be way-more than N-individual units I'm be interested to hear; I was expecting an economy-of-scale price reduction.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:12:00 PM by kristen » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »

i had infrared heaters fitted to an industrial unit/workshop in the mid 80's leccy board sold them as energy saving and did them on 0% for x years.
they became known as the head fryers.
didnt seem to heat the air/building at all, just people in there location.
maybe technology has changed, but i wouldn't use them again, the people next door had gas blown heating and was far cheaper to run and felt cosy.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
bxman

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »

Does no one else remember "heat lamps"?

Years ago (back in the 60's/early 70's) we had one of those (2 bulbs, IIRC) as the sole heating in a bathroom. The human body is very sensitive to radiant heat.

They are still used in the catering trade to keep food warm

I swear by them  250w will keep you warm  I suspect the ceramic ones are more durable and would be better under the desk for the lower reigions .

No need to spend a fortune to try them out  either but do use a ceramic bulb holder as even at 250w the bulb holders will get hot after a few hours running , ES are better than B22 fittings

cheers Patrick
kristen

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »

didnt seem to heat the air/building at all, just people in there location.

That's true (and kinda the point Smiley )  However, they do heat "surfaces" so air will heat by conduction from e.g. the desk surface, so they will warm the room over time. But for a warehouse type building that's going to be "sometime never" because of huge air-volume to surface-area ratio.

But IME they make it perfectly comfortable to be working (i.e. sat still, at a desk) in a room where the air temperature is 16C but you are being heated by the far infra red panel.

I suppose the thermostat is only there to turn the thing off once the air temperature has got to e.g. 21C
eabadger

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »

That's true (and kinda the point Smiley )

but the ones we had, big industrial things, were not low energy, so no one to fry, the carried on costing power.
the building heated system next door, was still warm enough to work in the next morning, so just seemed like the power we used was wasted.
our engineers left the infrared on all the time, but huddled around a bottle gas heater, in the end we built an internal small workshop and just heated that with gas central heating, dont think the brain fryers ever went on again, being chilly in the big space wasnt an issue, just trying to work in it with the big red light and strange hot yet cold feeling.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »

Just went to the local farmers supply shop today bought a light for keeping animals warm and went to ceramix  infraread heating factory about 4 miles from me in the countryside and got this 150 watt ceramic infrared bulp to fit into the bulb holder , to keep the dog warm over night   costs intotal  27 Euro  for a small heater  Grin , looks good too

and works , temperature at floor level in dogs bed  at 17 degrees , room temperature at 13 degrees ... guess i need a timer for the socket  

That Ceramix company is producing low cost   infraread heating elements

Billi

* IMG_20181106_180726 (1).jpg (109.92 KB, 596x794 - viewed 135 times.)

* IMG_20181106_182438.jpg (74.55 KB, 559x745 - viewed 133 times.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:03:58 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
daveluck_uk

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »

.. guess i need a timer for the socket  

Billi

Can't you train the dog to turn it on when it is feeling cold and to turn it off when it is warm?
bxman

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »

Hi billi
Can you give your friend an equilly comfortable cushon/rug away from heat  most dogs are very adapted to the envioment and it could be that they would be more confortable at a lower temperature in which case they will have the choise and you may find that you can save some energy if you secretly observer their preference.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »

I bought this for my collie in his last winter sleeping in the shed. Itís dimmable from 275W down to probably 50W. We used it on frosty nights at the lower end of its range.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanqiao-Infrared-Thermotherapy-Accupuncture-Treatment/dp/B077TLG6SP/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541611925&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=infrared+therapy+light&psc=1

As bxman says, itís easy to overheat a dog.
Stan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:39:12 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »

will do ,  he went in his bed  last night ,  its actually not hot heat , that  one feels  when placing the hand under the lamp

so this morning  dog was a sleep temp between him and lamp was about 13 degrees ,  room about 10

will watch how he adopts it ..... ,

norfolk

kristen

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »

Our Retrievers used to sleep out in the shed, I had to break the ice on their water bowl when I took them to bed in Winter.  Vet always praised how healthy they, and their coats, were. I remember him saying "Had someone in the other day asking "How do I stop the fur on my dog's back getting so thin" and I said: "Turn off your Aga" " Smiley
camillitech

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 07:17:48 AM »

Our retriever (inherited) prefers to be outside in the pishing rain rather than in the house if the heating is on. She's doing my head in and I've stopped letting her out after dark cos she just disappears and hides. Being black of course she's impossible to find and will not come back in the house unless you physically drag her in. Thing is with her it's not the actual heat, she's fine until you actually turn it on. We have UFH under a concrete slab and only heat two rooms anyway. We've just been away for a week and the house sitter gave up turning the heating on cos the dog was so upset. Must be the vibration from the pumps or something but fer fecks sake, they are outside in the shed  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: