navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrared Heating Panels  (Read 3217 times)
kristen

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »

Our retrievers will happily climb into the fire place and lie there until I can smell their fur singeing ... but, yeah, come rain, snow, hail ... they will run outside the moment I open the door and aren't bothered to come back in.

We have LED Collar Lights for when they go out at night. I googled one to give you an example, but can't find the type we have (little tube with carabiner type clasp onto collar ring) as there were gazzilions of choices, everything from whole collar LED day-glow colour- which might actually be better as if my dogs lay down their little LED light can be pointing straight into the ground!
camillitech

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »

LED collar, I like it, there are 20K on eBay so I'm sure I'll find one.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
oliver90owner

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »

... and got this 150 watt ceramic infrared bulp to fit into the bulb holder , to keep the dog warm over night   costs intotal  27 Euro  for a small heater  Grin , looks good too ...

Billi

WOW!  150W! Talk about pampered pets!! I have 10W pet heater plate.  Not IR, just a 10W resistor stuck on a plate in a sealed box.  Placed under the petís bedding, presumably.  I use it in conjunction with a vivarium temperature controller to maintain my beer/cider/wine fermentations at around 18 degree Celsius.  Works a treat and rarely requires full power, even in an unheated room...  The dog sleeps nearby, but has never had any form of heating in its cage.  If it is cold it buries itself under the bedding, or if warm it sleeps on top.

Back in the farm days, we used to keep day-old chicks warm with a 250W lamp - they definitely needed the warmth for the first coouple of weeks.  Piglets were given one, too.  That may have been more powerful.  The piglets were simply encouraged to sleep away from the sow, in the first few days after farrowing, to prevent them being accidentally killed by the sow laying on them - as there was not so much room in the pigsty.

Yes, we had house dogs, but there were also collies and labrador/retrievers which slept in their kennel, outside, all year round.
sam_cat

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »

Without knowing exactly what you are looking at...

Anything which turns electricity into heat is close to exactly 100% efficient. It is also a very expensive way to provide that heat.

ASHP/GSHP?

Can be considerably more than 100% efficient..
oliver90owner

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »

Anything which turns electricity into heat is close to exactly 100% efficient. It is also a very expensive way to provide that heat.

ASHP/GSHP?

Not so.  Heat pumps have a COP - a measure of how much heat they can move from one side of the pump to the other, compared to the elecrical energy used.  They MOVE heat, not convert anything from one energy source to another (which cannot be better than 100% - or we would have perpetual motion)!
sam_cat

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »

ASHP/GSHP?

Not so.  Heat pumps have a COP - a measure of how much heat they can move from one side of the pump to the other, compared to the elecrical energy used.  They MOVE heat, not convert anything from one energy source to another (which cannot be better than 100% - or we would have perpetual motion)!

Wink

I know, just being a bit pedantic (its something I am good at)... At a simplistic level they use electricity and output heat, 1kW in, (ideally) 3-4kW out. Yes, its more complex than that but ignoring the 'how' the input is electricity in these systems, and the output is heat.
Philip R

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 08:53:40 PM »

In a large non airtight building, like a factory, I would be looking at gas fired ambirad radiant tubes or ceramic plaques radiating at shorter wavelength IR than the radiant tubes.

These do generate heat using gas which is more energy efficient than electric heaters.

I have seen electric ir panels sold into some houses in south Cheshire. Only for the residents wishing they had kept the legacy oil fired system, on account of it much cheaper running costs.
Philip R
kristen

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 06:58:39 AM »

I have seen electric ir panels sold into some houses in south Cheshire. Only for the residents wishing they had kept the legacy oil fired system, on account of it much cheaper running costs.

If existing wet-system infrastructure exists I agree. We put them into offices expecting high running costs, but avoiding the significant capital cost of a (new) wet system (and nightmare if we wanted to move office partitions / radiators). Running costs have been lower than we expected.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: