navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone tried adding a reflector?  (Read 35180 times)
Gary T

« on: December 30, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »

As I see it, the present design of Solar Kettle using a single tube has 2 drawbacks.

1. It is a long and clumsey piece of glass to handle
2. It takes a long time to boil water, so is far less convenient than a conventional kettle.

If the idea were to take off, then it might be worth manufacturing a shorter and fatter tube for kettle use, an alternative being to offer a tap assembly to allow the tube to be permanently mounted with boiled water released on demand.

If that were done, it still leaves the matter of the slow boiling. To alleviate this, might it be worth offering a clip on reflector to allow direct sunlight to be concentrated on the tube. Even a fairly crude reflector should allow the water to boil several times faster.
frank2

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 01:27:59 PM »

gary
a satellite dish with tin foil glued on gives a 2-3 inch focus and if distorted slightly turns oval shaped
Ivan
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:49:23 PM »

Certainly a good idea, but it does become rather more technical to construct. It would be good to see how fast the water could be heated in a reflector system.

Navitron now has some shorter tubes (0.75m, 58mm), which, by my calculations, should heat around 1.1litres of water. These are a little more practical! We can also sell the 47mm demo panel tubes (we've got spares in now) - these are around 0.5m long, and I guess contain just under 1/2 litre of water.

Ivan
boscaiolo

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »

I remember seeing designs for solar ovens and pots back in the 60's that used parabolic reflectors.  They were for subtropical use though...
Ivan
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »

You can use paraboilic dishes (eg satellite dishes with silver foil) to make a solar hob which works fine in the UK. It needs to be carefully aimed at the sun, and constantly repositioned (or automatically tracked). Solar ovens work well here, too, but again, they need to be pointed in the correct direction. The beauty of the Navitron solar tube kettle/cooker is that it works in pretty much any direction between E and W.

Ivan
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »

hi

there are plenty of solar cookers available  with reflectors etc....

if you have the sun then u use it 

but if you havenot  then use this kettle
http://www.kellykettle.com/       (its the best waterheater i know of , would be a good´stove design)

the  nicest tee on building sites .....

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:32:40 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Bob

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:02:13 AM »

Years ago I say a type of kettle and sauce pan for use on gas stoves with a double side wall, closed at the top and open at the bottom.  This allowed the heat from the gas to be caught in the side wall.

I wonder if insulated cookware would be good?  single skin bottom twin wall side, possibly even with a vacuum?

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
Flamethrower_

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »

Bob,

I still use a kettle especially designed for use on a gas stove or hob. I bought it about 25 years ago but they seem to have disappeared from the market?
It has a base with what looks like an odd shaped coiled spring, presumably to increase the surface area for the flame.
It still works really well and is as quick as any electric kettle Smiley

Getting back to the thread I want to experiment with a reflector on a 58mm 800mm length evacuated tube but it won't be this weekend .
Torrential rain here in Oxfordshire! Sad

Rob
Brandon

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »

we had a solar kettle in 1997 that would boil water in 20 minutes of full sunshine, it had a folding and extendable parabolic(ish) reflector, I contacted my friend that used to sell them, but they stopped producing them. Shame, we used to stick it in the rucksack, and boil up at festivals etc, and serve tea whilst explaining the virtues of solar energy capture to the public.

changing the world, one roof at a time.

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
skilful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
alternatives.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

Surely a pivot arm would do allowing the unit to swing side to side (clear of obstacles) for pouring, with a wire to prevent it slamming back hard, that way a reflector could be built in assuming the thing is going to be upright all the time to gather heat?

A lip could be formed from polymer clay type material to assist the pouring (also takes heat well)

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
wyleu
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:56 AM »

The major inconvenience I've found with the solar kettl tube is it needs a stand of some kind to firstly mount it at something approaching an optimum angle and secondly to protect it from knocks that could easily snap off the glass teat at the bottom. If a simple stand were designed a curved reflector would probably be a worthy addition to it. If the whole kit and caboodle could fit inside the reflector for storage and traansport so much the better.
Ivan
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »

We've got clips which can be attached to wall or similar, that the tube can simply be clipped in and out of. Makes it more secure, and minimal effort required.
NickW

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »

How about this then?

24-91 degrees in just under 2 hours.

Not bad for a bit of scrap wood and bubble wrap!

* solar water 3small.jpg (89.98 KB, 276x378 - viewed 1249 times.)

Ask Questions, look for evidence, think for yourself

Gold is the currency of Kings, Silver the Currency of Gentlemen. Barter is the Currency of Peasants, whilst DEBT is the currency of SLAVES
ajstoneservices
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »

Pikey whistlie
ajstoneservices
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

Hedgehog ready yet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: