navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get baffled with Jim  (Read 3104 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« on: November 24, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »

Jim Al-Khallili is presenting a programme on quantum physics BBC4 9/12/14 at 9pm  I think.

Dead or alive you might be there (cats optional)

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
clockmanFR

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

But does it have 'Fluffy Bunnies'.

All telly nowadays has to have non-sense 'Fluffy Bunnies'.

Zoom in zoom out, keep repeating the graphics, have subjects in that look pretty and have colours, I could go on and on, or maybe I am just getting an 'Old Git'.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »

Or maybe you need to find the off button??

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

clockmanFR

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »

Eye, euthanasia it is then........... Cry

Goodbye Cruel World.......

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »

I'd rather you offed the fluffy bunnies, but the telly one will do Cheesy

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Bodidly

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »

Thanks for heads up Desp. Will give it a go. His programs are normally less dumbed down than most.

Edit.
Drat. Just seen the date for the program. Can't set the machine that far ahead and have a memory like a sieve. Desp can you bump this closer to the time  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:57:58 PM by Bodidly » Logged
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »

You see that concerns me a bit.
 The spacetime of our universe is usually interpreted from a Euclidean space perspective, which regards space as consisting of three dimensions, and time as consisting of one dimension, the "fourth dimension". By combining space and time into a single manifold called Minkowski space, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.

In non-relativistic classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of spacetime is appropriate, as time is treated as universal and constant, being independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer and also on the strength of gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time for an object as seen by an observer outside the field.

So bearing this in mind that I am sitting in my chair when should I set the recorder? Grin
clockmanFR

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »

Tod, have you been talking to Biff again?     Grin

Bodidly

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »

You see that concerns me a bit.
 The spacetime of our universe is usually interpreted from a Euclidean space perspective, which regards space as consisting of three dimensions, and time as consisting of one dimension, the "fourth dimension". By combining space and time into a single manifold called Minkowski space, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.

In non-relativistic classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of spacetime is appropriate, as time is treated as universal and constant, being independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer and also on the strength of gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time for an object as seen by an observer outside the field.

So bearing this in mind that I am sitting in my chair when should I set the recorder? Grin

hysteria Brilliant Tod
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »

Blimey Bo, Tod's uncovered  a real conundrum..............

You see in the first scenario you might have to set your alarm on the phone to remind you to programme your video recorder at some specific time in the future so that you don't forget to remember, otherwise you may well remember to forget and we could all end up in the future having seen nothing at all. Or something?

In the second it might be that if we try to specify a future time at some place in space ,IE your recorder, we must do it slooowly and using as light a touch as possible to minimise the risk of slowing time  down. If that were to happen we could very well wait donkeys years before we need to set the recorder or before the programme is broadcast, it might even be just as probable the we speed up time in which case it could be just a few milli-donkeys or even micro-donkeys before the programme.

Oh god I don't know, it might be safer to forget the whole thing................ sh*tfan facepalm

I wonder how long a Donkeys year is?? tumble

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Ivan

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

I really enjoy watching 'through the wormhole' - watched an episode this evening. Although a lot of what's covered is old stuff, they do always include plenty of modern and often wacky theories. There is usually something that gets me thinking, and usually something that I haven't read of previously - tonight, the one that made me think, was the concept of time as 'grains' or 'atoms of time' - certainly made a lot of sense, and got me thinking about dark energy - maybe it is simply 'time', being created.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »

Thanks for heads up Desp. Will give it a go. His programs are normally less dumbed down than most.

Edit.
Drat. Just seen the date for the program. Can't set the machine that far ahead and have a memory like a sieve. Desp can you bump this closer to the time  Smiley

Bump

don't forget Beau fingers crossed!

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Bodidly

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »

Edit.

Bump

don't forget Beau fingers crossed!

Desp

Brilliant Desp

Had completely forgotten and never get a TV times

I did not really expect you to remind me was only a joke but many thanks.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »

Jim time Beau    tumble

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: