navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riello oil burners...any good?  (Read 31275 times)
sb79

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

Nominous, if you have a fair amount of soot build up and your oil pressure is correct the i'm assuming you have checked the air setting? Again, you need to be using an analyser to really get absolutely spot on but a smoke test is also a required check. You absolutely cannot correctly set up an oil burner without these two checks. 

Also the combustion head settings need to be correct to produce the right flame pattern. An incorrectly set head will smoke nicely.
It sounds to me as if your flame is lifting off which would tend to be a duff nozzle or incorrect head settings, might also be worth dropping the pressure in 5 psi increments and seeing if there is any improvement as there can be variations in nozzles.
If you are trying to run to the settings of installed in a boiler but on a bench then you are on a hiding to nothing. Site conditions are what you set a burner to, not necessarily what the figures say. Air settings are best taken with a pinch of salt at the best of times, I don't know why they bother printing them as they are always way out due to 'site conditions'.
Setting a burner up on a bench or in a steam cleaner or grain dryer does involve a fair degree of experience to get it burning clean. Boilers are relatively easy by comparison.
Oh and if 'stripping' down a nozzle, do not be tempted to fiddle with the actual jet as you will just bu$$er it, in fact don't touch it at all. You can clean the filter on the nozzle but that is all. Personally I would never ever attempt to 'clean' a nozzle as just about anything will make it worse. I replace nozzles at a service as a matter of course anyway.

nominous

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »

Wouldn't know how to strip the jet down.
I recall the sintered bronze bit on the back and internet pictures of cut aways showing threads but I can see braking it being an issue when I give it a hamfisted attempt.

I've got a boiler unit and another burner now. So I'll go with that, but yes, was trying to set it up on the bench.
it will fire so long as the ignition is running but without that it wont.
I've tried making a shroud for it with some old 20L metal veg cans and a chimney but I appreciate it's just pratting around.

I'm on with engine swap at the moment so the garage is pretty full. But I'll get back to it this year some time.
Been watching vids and talking with a guy who just burns straight waste oil in his boiler without any mods other than lots of air and lots of pressure.
He's been doing it for a few years that way, without siphon nozzles or any pre heating.Takes a bit to get going but then sustains just dandy apparently.

Speaking of engines, I've got plenty of wideband lambda sensors and displays.
Would they take the job of an analyser or are we checking for different gases here ?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: