navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyundai Gen Sets-Any Opions?  (Read 19725 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

In one of my threads a couple of months ago, I ask about adding batteries to this system and making it work with my Solar PV. The conclusion so far is that this is high maintenance and expensive, and not worth it for a system that will only be used once or twice a year.

The threadstarter Dave  has 6.5 kW  of PV  that  can deliver about 6-10 kWh   per day average in the dark months   and much more in summer

A say  15-20 kWh (brutto)  Battery  paired with a 3-5 kW offgrid inverter    can surely work all year round with the PV and as well during a powercut  , this could  possibly manage to  avoid an additional of 1500-2000 kWh   per year imported  from the Grid 

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Tinbum

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »

The threadstarter Dave  has 6.5 kW  of PV  that  can deliver about 6-10 kWh   per day average in the dark months   and much more in summer

That seems very high. December I would expect an average of half the lower of that range at most. Huh

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
billt

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

It's about right. For my location (cloudy midlands) and 45 degree collector inclination, PVGIS classic gives daily averages of 9.5kWhr for November, 5.9 kWhr for December, 7.6kWhr for January and 11.8kWhr for February.

It still doesn't make such a system practicable though. 6 kWhr per day is much lower than most households' consumption and it doesn't take into account the occasions when you get a week or two of less than 3kWhr a day. E.g. 26 November to 1st December would have averaged 2.3kWhr a day with a 6.5kW system.
camillitech

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »

For more power, I could get a 2nd EU20i and parallel it up which would then let me run anything.

I didn't realize you could easily parallel them Al

Well I never, four of them  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »

It's about right. For my location (cloudy midlands) and 45 degree collector inclination, PVGIS classic gives daily averages of 9.5kWhr for November, 5.9 kWhr for December, 7.6kWhr for January and 11.8kWhr for February.

It still doesn't make such a system practicable though. 6 kWhr per day is much lower than most households' consumption and it doesn't take into account the occasions when you get a week or two of less than 3kWhr a day. E.g. 26 November to 1st December would have averaged 2.3kWhr a day with a 6.5kW system.
"It still doesn't make such a system practicable though"  , oK !  then  please tell me  how practical a 6000  GBP   back-up Diesel Generator is !!!!!! , for the occasional   few hours powercut  !   .... While the system i suggest can utilize   nearly all power from the 6.5  kW PV all year round  bike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:23:30 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billt

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »

It's completely practical. It will enable the OP to have sufficient power available at all times, which is what the OP seems to want and no sensibly sized PV / battery system will provide.

It doesn't make economic sense, but neither does the PV/battery system.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »

... surely  it  makes economical sense to get free and even paid FiT units from the sun

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:57:15 AM by billi » Logged

phoooby

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »

Temporary back up power supply seems to come up quite often with the usual "buy a small genny and extension lead" followed by "get some batteries for your solar system". Just thought I throw this in the mix as a possible future option. Doesn't get over the issue of being away from home when the power goes out just long enough to defrost your freezer but covers other bases.

http://chargedevs.com/newswire/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-adds-vehicle-to-home-power-export-capability/

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
renewablejohn

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »

Have been giving this some serious thought obviously having a "free" supply of wood pellets makes the figures even better.

http://www.inresol.se/technology/

Any thoughts
longstroke

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »

Have been giving this some serious thought obviously having a "free" supply of wood pellets makes the figures even better.

Any thoughts

Looks interesting, do you have any prices and for which option?
renewablejohn

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »

Any thoughts

Looks interesting, do you have any prices and for which option?

Cheapest option is 6500 euro and most expensive incl additional battery 8500 euro. Obviously with euro dropping its looking quite cheap. There supposed to be exhibiting at eco build in London in early March if anyone is attending I would like to check out myself but might not be able to make it. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: