navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non Domestic RHI rates capped after 100MWh?  (Read 2567 times)
Ivan

« on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »

Someone told me today that the non-domestic RHI rate for biomass is capped (they thought at something like 100MWh per 100kW boiler), and any RHI claimed above this cap is paid out at a much lower rate - is there any truth in this? I've looked through the documentation, and I can't see anything along these lines. For reference, a 100kW boiler that runs continuously at maximum output is going to produce 875MWh per year. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a commercial boiler to be running close to maximum for almost half of the year, or for some commercial processes it could be running flat out except for holidays and maintenance downtime.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
BruceB

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:21:21 PM »

Small and medium non-domestic rhi for biomass has a tier 1 and tier 2 figure.  The tier break represents 1314 hours of running in a year (15% duty cycle).  If I have my decimal point correct that means 131.4 MWh per 100kW of boiler at high rate then low rate thereafter.  MCS installers are instructed that they must be able to justify the boiler size and not simply put in a larger one to get more higher rate rhi.
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

Thanks Bruce - so he was right.

15% duty cycle doesn't sound very much for a commercial process. It's probably about right for a domestic boiler, but this, of course, is non-domestic. Even if a commercial process is only run in winter months, you'd expect a higher average duty than 15% over the whole year - so it clearly makes it desirable to oversize the boilers in many cases. As MCS doesn't apply to larger installations, I guess this is ok. It's again something that would-be commercial RHI installers need to be aware of.

I've just dug out the rates (until 1st January):

Tier 1 for small biomass (under 200kW) = 7.6p/kWh
Tier 2 for small biomass (under 200kW) = 2p   /kWh

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: