navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meteor Showers  (Read 8085 times)
Ivan

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

No, definitely not an iridium flare - I've seen loads of these and they brighten and darken over a period of anything between a few seconds and a few tens of seconds. I've seen quite a few -8s - they're really very impressive if you can observe them from somewhere dark. With many iridium flashes, you can track the satellite in the sky for quite some time - sometimes as long as several minutes before they become too dim to see.

Heavens above is really useful for iridium-spotting. Make sure you get your lattitude and longitude and enter it in, though!

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »

Oops, sorry, just re-read your description; first time through I must have missed “They aren't moving in the sky like a meteor or an Iridium flash.” Dunno, then. Could it be a flare off a tumbling satellite, I wonder? Only one flash as by the next rotation it's pointing elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:29:41 AM by Eccentric Anomaly » Logged

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense - John McCarthy.
Ivan

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »

That's probably the only plausible explanation. Strange that I should see several in such a short period though. Mind you I probably spent several hours staring at the sky over that period. Now it's got colder, I don't have the inclination to lie watching the stars at night!

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »

Might be worth having a peep at the Geminid shower if you have a clear sky  yeah right!

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/12/geminids-meteor-shower-britain-hopes-clear-skies

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Ivan

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

I'll have a peep outside at 2am to see if it's cloudy. It was pretty cloudy when I went out earlier. I think they may have a typo in the news article - I can't imagine there would be 50-100 per minute - We'd almost have to be going through the tail of a comet to achieve that!

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »

yes  the Grauniad monika is well deserved........ Grin, mind you I didn't spot it either........

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

garethpuk

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »

Clear sky up hear although I think I'll be fast asleep soon!
Ivan

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »

Skies cleared here, so I popped out - saw three meteors, but nothing like 50-100/minute. The moon has recently risen, which doesn't help much. Too cold to stay out for very long - it's around -1C here, and near the woodstove seems a far nicer place to be!

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 01:19:28 AM »

Um, article says 2 am saturday night. I'm marginally confused; it's now 2 am staurday morning, having had friday night. Has alcohol clouded my astral vision?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Ivan

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 01:54:09 AM »

You should find that you'll see the meteors on both Saturday 2am and Sunday 2am. They will peak tonight (having just checked). Also read the following advice: While it is not necessary to look in a particular direction to enjoy a meteor shower – just lay down on the ground and look directly above - I'm definitely not lying on the ground tonight!!

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

In just half an hour from 23.20-23.50 last night I spotted 11 Geminid meteors and two maybes, two of which were at least 0 magnitude and fairly slow moving. Sadly though the conditions here were no good for photography, a fair smuging of high cirrus which really washes out any long exposures with all the light poolution we have to peer through. For the last few years the Geminids have been more prolific than the Perseids for me, perhaps my eyes work better in sub-zero temps snow

Desp

PS some nice piccys here,

http://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2014/dec/14/geminids-meteor-shower-in-pictures

although the pic taken from Hastings looks more like a sattelite or aeroplane trail to me??
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:37:56 PM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »

Stood outside for ten mins in -2, saw nowt, got cold, went to bed.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: