navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comet lovejoy  (Read 1834 times)
Ivan

« on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »

Comet lovejoy is pretty easy to spot at the moment.

Assuming I'm looking at the right object, if you pretend that the horns of Taurus are an arrow (looks like a big 'V' in the sky) - they point to a bright start about the same distance away as the height of the 'V'. The comet is "slightly down and right of this star". Looks like a round fuzzy blob. I could just about make it out with naked eye, but it's easy to spot with a pair of binoculars. Looked pretty impressive through my 6" refractor, but took me ages to find it. As I was in the neighbourhood, I checked out the Orion nebula at the same time and was rewarded with the best view I'd ever had of it.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »

A 6 inch refractor, wow, is it a doublet or a triplet objective? and focal length? either way it would be a pretty impressive instrument to put a camera on. You could get an adaptor for your DSLR for about twenty quid and then with a remote or timed setting click away,, point it at jupiter or the comet and see what you get.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »

Can't remember the spec - I think it's got the extra lens(es) to correct chromatic aberration - there certainly doesn't seem to be any - nice crisp white images. It's long (1200mm focal length or possibly longer). It's on an EQ5 mount, but because of the length of the telescope, it's actually quite wobbly. One day I'll half-bury an RSJ in half a ton of concrete and make up a mount - maybe based on wheel bearings. I probably don't have a camera good enough for astro-photography and I don't have any motor drive. I should definitely try Jupiter again, as we've got less light pollution than at the previous house (three moon shadows event coming up soom, I heard on TV the other night)

AndrewE

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

Brother Jim says: "Best image I've seen yet:"
http://www.damianpeach.com/deepsky/c2014_q2_2015_01_11dp.jpg
Enjoy
A
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »

Quite unlike any other comets I've seen. Why is it green?

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »

It'll be ionised Nitrogen ( I think) in the tail, although a lot of amateur astrophotographers use rather a lot of image manipulation that can introduce some false colouring into the finished image. Mind you I am pretty sure Damian Peach is well aware of the issue and is one of the most skilled imagers in the business.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: