navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter with UPS function?  (Read 4260 times)
Shay

« on: January 06, 2008, 10:39:23 AM »

I was looking at a Kipoint 3000w pure sine wave inverter with UPS function.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3000W-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-UPS-Mode-24V_W0QQitemZ110209760848QQihZ001QQcategoryZ30900QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

With the UPS function enabled will power only be drawn from the batteries when there is a grid failure?

Will the inverter charge from AC mains instead of from my wind/solar component?

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »

shay

i donot think that the inverter charges .....

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Shay

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »

You are right Billi.
I was looking at the Victron spec before this one. Is this the case with the Victron phoenix multi inverter charger.

http://www.onboardenergy.co.uk/acatalog/Phoenix_Multi_Plus___24Volt.html

As for the other question what do you think?

With the UPS function enabled will power only be drawn from the batteries when there is a grid failure?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »

hello shay

I would say  you can switch off the ups funktion from the  kipoint as well but not sure

with my victron multi i switched the ups function of  because i have no grid..... and  when i had it on it did not work fine with the voltages of my generator (thats my grid)

i have now a 1.6 kw pv systhem working in paralell to the generator and that works fine 

there is a funtion its called Virtual switch ( you can only work with that computer connected ) in the victron unit
Have a read about that virtual switch at victrons homepage)

For example (as i understand your settup)  with grid ,PV and Windturbine  you tell that switch to charge the batteries from main grid if batterry voltage  goes down to 22v or so  or/and if load in your house higher than 1000 w to powerassist the battery
and as well then tell the switch to switch of main power to charge after 1 hour or battery is at 25 volt or load in the house is lower then 300 watt etc

You can programm how much you allow the unit to charge from the grid

i havent figured out all of this  jet its endless it seams

you can also use that switch  to control your pv array  for example  your battery are fully charged and it would be a shame then to dump the pv- watts into a heatsink it will invert the pv output direct to the load into the house at 230 v

sounds all confusing and was .....still is..

In other words you can adjust when howmuch electycity you take from the grid to charge.....

To be honnest even having these posibilities my battery bank is bad after a year but i thing we drained the battery too often .... or its a manufactur fault

but in your case having the grid it should be easy to keep the batteries at a high voltage

Again i have no other knowledge in other battery based systems only my own..... and others think its better to keep charging and inverting seperatly ......

regards Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Shay

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »

I might keep things as simple as possible as i'm way down the learning curve on all of this.
A standard Kipoint inverter might do for now I think or what do you think of their inverter/solar contoller/charger:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2400W-Solar-Inverter-With-LCD-Dispaly-Charger-24V_W0QQitemZ110210203294QQihZ001QQcategoryZ30900QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

Shay

i am not familiar with the kpoint product .. so cannot tell

as far as i undersand you ordered pv and windturbine (batteries?)and you have the grid as well or do you go off grid ?

a 3 kw inverter would do me fine(on my own) but having a wife and a kiddy now it wont  ....

and  its pretty anoing to contoll police the other members not to switch on that.... when this is on. ..etc..

so perhaps you should find a inverter/charger that is powerassist able to ad the grid to the inverter paralell

I only know my system .... there are other ways  like grit tie the pv and windturbine without batteries ( i think)

cheers billi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: