navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small turbines in residential areas  (Read 5368 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »

Well done Pantsmachine,
                     I have no alternative but to heartily commend you for your contribution to RE,
    This is just a small step to much greater things. The bug has bitten and now you will be up all hours of the night looking at the clocks ,,amps -- volts and--watts.
 You will have pen and paper and documenting the sudden surge of power at 4am. I am guilty of all these things and much much more. What ever you do my friend,
 do not attempt to share the surge in power figures with SWMBO at 4am. I have a SWMBO also and believe me , Sharing such exciting news at that time should not make one feel unwanted and unloved but I did note that our Hounds at the time who shared 120kgs of muscle and bone between them, had also begun to glare at me.
    Anyhow, That is all behind me now. All the pens and paper keep disappearing and If I do manage to lay my hand on a pen, I get somehow distracted with an offer of a cuppa and a lump of  cake, And The pen never mind the paper become things of the past. And yet I know that somewhere in our house is a treasure trove of notebooks and pens,pencils and even a feather quill and 2 bottles of ink,
  I am not accusing anyone but sometimes when I lie abed, I become positive That somehow or other, My wife lies much higher than I, She tells me That I have been eating too many potatoes and cream buns and got so heavy that my side of the mattress has compressed beyond belief. I have to agree and say,,Yes I see what you mean. It is much safer you see.
    So from one turbineer to another, These Swmbos are not keen on early morning figures and calculations.
  On a more serious note, It might be a really good idea to put a 6mm wire cable around the upright just above the second horizontal support bracket. Secure the cable to the upright with double locking Ubands, Then feed the cable through the wall and anchor it in such a way that you have 200mm of slack and no more. This is just a form of insurance for you and your family. A turbine in a force 3 to 4  in no way resembles the same turbine in a force 7 to 8. This is serious stuff. The real problem starts when the Turbine starts braking at speed and a resonance starts to build up. The 6mm wire cable will ensure that the steel and heavy stuff do not fall on anyone below., It will also show that your are taking steps to prevent any serious accidents.
    Good luck,
               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
pantsmachine

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »

A tidy wee IPA.

Biff, 6th pint. Be back tomorrow. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:42:48 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »

Grin
      fingers crossed!
    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2019, 07:48:56 PM »

After 6 pints the call to log figures might be a secondary  consideration at 4am. whistlie

Kidwelly South Wales
offthegridandy

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »

At 4 in the morning; (Simon and Garfunkle) after 6 pints I'll be stood in front of the porcelain, never mind about writing down figures for SWMBO!!

Good luck in your madness and do you have any neighbours who should be informed?

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
pantsmachine

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »

Thank you and no, no madness here although I think I could claim eccentric? Sitting on a diesel train...excellent wee night with a mate.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:15:53 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »

Hi PM,
     You are not alone . Mugsy here had not one,,, but two small 300watt turbines stuck on on a scaffold on our north facing gable.. Then a 3 day blow came along , force 8 + and all that exciting stuff. The two turbines were about 4 feet from the Gable and about the same height above the roof as yours. We had 72 hours of the most disturbing  and violent racket that could be felt all over the house.. When it was over, "Hans " the Aelous 300 was no longer working but our Yang-Shen  was OK.. If I had attached them to the gable at roof height  they would been much worse.
      Biff

pantsmachine

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »

Walked up the road tonight and bonny it was, birlling away silently up there on the gable end? Cheers Biff...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:41:50 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

I do remember my own excitement  when I erected my first turbine, It was a 450watt  Y/S. It did quite well next to the gable about 4ft away and above the roof. There was some noise but it was bearable.  The Aelous was supposed to do 500 watt but could clock 200watt  if pushed. The two turbines were within 8ft of each other. The Aelous was described as the answer to overspeeding because when it started picking up speed,  the blades bent and built an air dam in front of themselves, what it did not tell me was that while creating this speed lowering air dam,  it also made a horrible racket..when the storm got going and  "Hans" went into overdrive and also made a vibrating howling noise that shook the whole roof  and it sounded as if the Aelous blades were actually flapping against the actual roof. It was great hands on experience and I learned from it. ( not a lot it seemed) I cannot claim that I was not warned but by gum it was  some buzz.
       Biff

pantsmachine

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2019, 08:00:34 AM »

I await the first storm! Sounds exciting! sh*tfan
Had some excellent advice and people's shared experience on this site. Quite outstanding. If my tests show it to be outputting good volumes I will look to integrate it into the solar charge controller. As you guys say many figures to be noted. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:35:27 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
Pat_

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

At 4 in the morning; (Simon and Garfunkle)...
I thought it was Leonard Cohen, Famous Blue Raincoat. Paul Simon was 3 a.m.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »

Only if it was 'torn at the shoulder' facepalm

Please take warnings as to safety of your installation, turbines can be dangerous bits of kit. surrender

Kidwelly South Wales
pantsmachine

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »

Thanks lads,
Fixings are good for around 3/4 tonne. Welds for 1 tonne easy, a failsafe stainless lanyard is an excellent idea. I'll get on it

HUGE insulation depth.
All Low energy bulbs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: