navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 72943 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 08:26:11 PM »

Excellent Andy,
                   I am really looking forward to this build. Clockman gave us great pics and knowledge but still it s beyond me. I intend some day to give it a try but there is another machine which I must build before that.
                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »

A cold St Davids Day to you all. Sorry to hear about Martin hope he's back with us soon.

Manage to put in some time on the WT this weekend.

Saturday I knocked up the winding jig for the coils and also a rig to carry 2 drums of 1.5mm copper wire. The support for the winding jig was a real find. I put my hand into a pile of "scrap stuff" and pulled out a piece of 25mm angle already welded onto a flat plate for a support.  All I had to do was drill a hole at the top and add a 10mm bolt as the axle for the jig.

I spent an hour this morning double checking how many turns each coil needs for a 24V set up.  In the manual I acquired there are guidance for making an 8ft WT using either 9 or 10 coils, but using either 1.18 or 1.4mm dia wire. 10 coils beinrg single strand  and 9 coils being a pair of wires.  Hugh advised me to use 1.5mm wire so I had to sit down with Pi r squared and calculate the requisit number of turns.  I came up with 44.  I was relieved when the first coil came out pretty well exactly  as per predicted physical size.

As the winding proceeded to numbers 6 and 7 I was getting concerned as to wether the drums would hold out. But Hughes book was spot on, when I'd made all the coils I had 16 turns left on each drum. The coils vary between 292 and 304 grams the book aims for a 5% tolerance. so chuffed with that

Coils wound, I spread out the gear that I'd purchase to see what was done or left to be done.  I've got  a couple of pieces of 600X600 ply for the stator mould ready to be shaped.  One set of magnets is cast and the other set is ready to be cast with resin in the mould supplied.

I'll mark out and make the stator mould next, perhaps a new blade for the jigsaw.  Last job it did was cutting up 2mm Ali plate, noisy job but.

Now,  picture have been obtained, shall I ration them or just splurge them all.  There my usual cr*p quality I'm afraid. But the best I can do. Enjoy.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
Billy
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »

Proud of you Andy, top dollar.

I think you should be knighted by frotter.   Grin

boy's dun gud.   Grin
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 08:21:48 PM »

Tidy!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »

Well done Andy,
                    Each time I see this being done, I want to head down to the shed and rootle around and try find the gear to get started on one myself but I have enough on my plate at present and my super duper turbine plans are still sitting on the back burner.
                                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »

Oh Billy, to be Knighted by Frotter, I'd have to go and have a lie down!!

Biff I think making the blades is where most of the hard work is, which I avoided by lucking on to this part made job.  The rest of the process is fairly straightforward, mainly basic metal and woodwork

To be continued.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 08:16:29 AM »

Cracking !!!!
Sir Andy. Grin Grin Grin Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
clockmanFR

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

Excellent Andy.

I am watching.

Just make sure your moulds are smooth and wax those moulds correctly.

I use Vinyester resin as its more waterproof and better to stand the UV from the Sun.

I have even seen some of Hugh's courses folk bashing the moulds hard to get them apart....... but be careful with the stator casting it is delicate and easily cracked...... sh*tfan

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:59:04 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
clockmanFR

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »

the moment...

Pic 1, just about to put the lid on, silicone is wet.

Pic 2, Lid on the mould with resin coming out. Now I stand on the Mould centre bit evenly and screw like merry quick.

Keep wiping the resin away as it comes out. And ensure the resin inside will not bond together through any holes as its a rugger to get the mould apart.

* P2200373a.jpg (96.17 KB, 676x507 - viewed 456 times.)

* P2200374a.jpg (97.55 KB, 676x507 - viewed 474 times.)

offthegridandy

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

Cheers CM,  thanks for extra info and PM.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 09:34:15 PM »

Well I tend to loose track of the days now, but find that in the last week I have made the mould for casting the stator and also today sorted and soldered the 9 coils into a 3 sets of 3 with tails connected as common and 3 wire out for the 3 phase.

Because the each of coils I wound have a pair of 1.5mm wires, the wires are quite stiff and cussed.  I have accordingly sleeved each pair to make it easier to push them into place.

The next stage is to prepare the mould for casting. The shaped former is screwed down to a base board, I'll remove this and smooth the inner surface, I thought I might finish the inner surfaces with insulation tape. It will give a nice clean and smooth surface so the cast fibre glass will release easily.

I've been working in a warm kitchen this afternoon with Gram Parsons and the Byrds filling my ears.  Life's not all bad eh. I risk my reputation as CM has the torch for building WT but here's my production of the stator.

The coils are set out out on a jig before connecting up the wires,

The terminal connection of the tails is 3 pairs of 1.5mm thick copper so after scraping of the varnish I bound the 6 together with some thin strands of wire. This keeps them together until it tinned and soldered.

Er which wire where?

Now I've cut this out from the stator mould, what do you suggest I use it for?

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the mould prepped and then I think I'll have to move out to the shed for mixing and pouring the resin into the stator. If I get resin on the the senior partners camera I'll get shot but I'll try and pictulate.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
clockmanFR

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »

Looking good Andy.

Tip 1, put a small hole say 1.5mm dia where the Stator mounts are going to be, so when it comes out of the mould the resin has 1.5mm dia pips for helping drill the big holes in the stator. Push wax down the hole but leave a little hole for the resin to go in.

Get your Top board ready drilled for all those screws your going to use when clamping down.

Tip 2,  When you slide the coils onto the fiberglass matt in the mould you will need to space them out evenly. I pencil mark the mould centre and outer where the oblong centre of each coil should be, obviously you can not see it through the fiberglass matt but use a suitably long strait edge from the centre line/marks of the centre disc to line/marks on the outer section of the mould. Its slightly better that guessing.

The bottom picture of your mould is my main concern..... as you have a very Porous chipboard surface showing, and boy does resin like to soak in. Try and seal it with something, then thick wax it. In the very tight corners of the mould, especially the centre disc, I sometimes run around with a very thin bead of plasticine, this stops the resin from sneaking in the very small gaps/joint.

I normally have several marg tubs made up with resins, and marg tubs ready mixed with resin and chalk, each tub with its own mixing spoon, all just awaiting the hardener.

Trust this helps.
And good luck.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:02:02 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 11:23:21 PM »

'Now I've cut this out from the stator mould, what do you suggest I use it for?'
That looks as though it would be handy for mounting a trophy on, like a stag's head, or a burnt-out charge-controller or similar.
Could be clipped to the toilet seat for aiming practice after a few beers etc:

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 11:47:56 PM »

Interesting N2,
                  I think you need to sit on that idea for a while, whistlie
                                               Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »

Hi all and thanks for the tips CM.

Top board is already drilled.  Good tip about the mounting lugs.  I thought of placing some blue tack at that point to create a small indent at the centre point. Same principle eh.

I'll extend my pencil lines onto the outer surface of the mould to assist in lining up the coils.

I note your comment re the absorbency of chip board CM.  I thought I'd line round the cut edge with insulation tape to seal and give a nice easy to release surface.

I appreciate you taking the time CM.

It's raining now so paper work this AM then in the shed PM hopefully.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 31   Go Up