navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 78791 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »

Had a good one Andy.
Good to see you back.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »

Welcome back Andy,
                  Wind Turbines are a learning curve and if it were an easy education,the country would be full of small wind turbines. I think that once you get to know a certain type or breed of turbine and learn it habits and weaknesses you tend to stick with that one,especially if they treat you anyway half decent.
 The great man himself says, I quote Paul,s quote,    "Don,t buy a small wind turbine to save money, Do it for love, and enjoy the unique feeling but don,t expect and easy ride"  (so very true)
  And you do grow to love them, especially after a storm when everything is running as it should and the bank is full to the gills and the tanks are toasty roasty.
  As for saving money,
         Yes you can certainly save money but only after you have ironed out the wrinkles and learned all about blade area, stator diameter versus blade length/area and the correct balance of dump load. I would not be scientifically minded but I was gifted a certain amount of luck. In my quest for the right sized prop, I tried a much smaller prop and accidentally hit on the best balance of all, one that could still start up in low winds and hold steady and true in the force 8 and well above.We get storms here that last for days, sometimes 3 days on the trot and the heat build up in the turbine head is simply wicked. If the blades are long and wide and can overpower the dump loads, the heat will keep building up until the winding are well and truly fried and then two things can happen, The bearings can size,which is rare or the turbine can go flat out into overspeed mode and then it is only a matter of minutes before everything shatters to pieces.
  If I had known then what I know now, I would never have lost a turbine but in saying that, we have done the figures and I know that we are at least breaking even by now. I am not boasting but just stating a fact. Yes you can certainly save money when you work the turbine to supplement the pv through the winter. The diesel bill does drop down below zero when you count the lecky spent mowing the lawns,,grinding and cutting steel for days on end and especially heating waster.
  When I first enquired about a house mains connection some 14 years ago, The connection price was well under 1500 punt, I only needed one pole but I had this thing about wanting to be independent, The house stood on it,s own acre plot,pretty well isolated. I would never get another chance like it to give it a go.
 Lots of new toys have come on the market to make it easier and more exciting. The storage problem is well on it,s way to being solved, We have to remember that 3 years ago we had no hope of any news of storage improvements. There was nothing out there affordable apart from Forklift cells and other F.L.As. There is a lot more hope now. We are on the verge of getting these flow battery banks which will make all the difference and change the grid landscape forever.
   It is getting better, !
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »

Lovely pics of pink loo's Paul and cheers.

Back in March after the gale that damaged my WT I had to lower the tower to get to the offended article. When the tower (36ft with the mast on) was about half way down a cable join slipped and the passage to the ground was faster than desired. I stepped back from the winch and let it go, no fool hardy grabbing at flying cables eh.

So the lattice tower struck the 2 sections of scaffold towers that were waiting to receive them but with rather more force than planned.  The net result was the top 2 mtr mast 70mm dia was bent, the lattice tower was bent and cut through at point of impact and one blade was broken.  But now it was down on the ground I found the alternator to be fully functioning in spite of the apparent fire that had taken place.

Since March I've had little time, but in the last couple of weeks I've removed the damaged section of the lattice tower and will shortly be able to re attach the top yoke.

I'm planning on re-erecting the tower, slightly shorter unfortunately, with the original 8ft blades and alternator that I first made.

I've replaced the rectifier in the power house and checked the cabling through to the base of the mast. So shortly the turnip will be up again.

Then I've got 2Kw of new PV panels to get mounted. The 1st 1000W will be able to hook into the existing Outback charge controller. I'll be building another ground mount array. Not decided yet how I'll hook up the next array. That's for next week but here's the "disaster" pics.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »

It is a horrible feeling Andy,
                    When something  like that goes wrong, I was lowering our own Wind turbine after Christmas 2014 and did the bally thing not do the same as your, Mine is 30ft high and it dropped from over half way down, It bounced off the support trestle at least 3 times,bending and twisting till the trestle kicked out and the lot hit the ground with one blade going deep into the lawn. Boy was I sick and worse still, The weather was cruel, I just had to start and rebuild the lump as well as fit a new prop. I invested in a new winch as well,
                                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »

I recall that time Biff.

I lusted after that tower Andy, I hope it can be salvaged. They do say the most dangerous time for flying is takeoff and landing.

I remember lowering mine before getting the hang of it. Used a 4 to 1 rope pulley off the boat but miscalculated the length. It ran out with a few feet to go but there was not enough purchase to get it back up to lengthen it. Needed a 6 to 1for that. facepalm

Took days to sort out the cats cradle left behind never mind the big stack of pallets.
camillitech

« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »

never mind the big stack of pallets.

You can never have too many pallets Billy :-) Shame you've sorted your turnip out Biff, I miss the regular winter epic lowering tales and the fun you had with the 'cheery picker'. For a good five years you kept us all on 'tenterhooks' with your escapades. Wish I'd listened to you when I had my Yangshzou Zenshou, perhaps if I'd lopped the blades 100mm and balanced them like you suggested it would still be flying now  genuflect I really did like it as it produced in the gentlest  of breezes.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »

Aye Paul,
          Sometimes I look back on my capers while flying the big blades, It was kind of crazy with Mrs Biff and I sitting inside the house,during the times we got caught out with a storm and trying to figure out ways to get rid of the extra power in AC, We would have halogen fires on maybe a total of 1kw, 2 bars on one and  1 on the other, The turbine would them take off like a rocket but also furl and the controller would cool down. It was the daftest way of doing it one can imagine but the controller was only built for 2kw of wind and 600watt of pv and clocking over 3kw hour after hour would have burnt out the controller and allowed the Turbine to go into overdrive  Grin, Thankfully that only happened once and I managed to lower the tower successfully in a vicious wet force 8, I never tried it again after that storm. I still have holly and briar jags in my rear end from jumping into the hedge behind the winching tree because the wind blew the tower back up vertical and I thought it was going to snap the guy on the opposite side of the winching tree, I did not want to let go the joy stick on the end of the 6ft cable, so i had to dive for cover behind the root of the big spruce whose trunk carried the winch. I had a large torch in one hand and the joy stick in the other. The controller that failed @161 volts was the old grey box affair with the electric kettle element. The new Y/S controllers were a totally differently kettle of fish,,,,,,Kettle of fish= copy Grin.
  It is all very tame now and everything runs itself but I certainly do not miss that kind excitement.
                                                                             Biff
    I replaced a prop one time, In the days of poor Roxi, A few weeks later,there was a strange tapping noise coming from the head, Then Roxi found a big brute of a nut, She was like that, If i dropped something out of my pocket she would stand over it but here she was with her nose stuck to this big nut on the edge of the black currant beds,10 ft from the tower. So I picket up the Nut ans studied it closely,,"H,mmmmmmmmmm You look familiar",!! and then the penny dropped,,There I was standing at the base of the tower and wonder was the other nut still on the threads of the turbine shaft. I put Roxi inside and set about lowering the lump, I got to about 10ft off the ground and the spinning prop dropped off and buried a blade about a foot into the hard packed soil. I double checked my locking nuts after that and put 10 rounds of tape on the threads. I also heeded the advice of a more experienced Turbineer and did away with the woodruff key. We live to learn.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:45:45 AM by biff » Logged

offthegridandy

« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »

So at last on-wards with the turbine tower repair.

I've carefully removed the section of tower which was broken and plan to fit tube inside the legs to reconnect the upper and lower pieces.  I have had made, a new tower top plate to which the steel tube for the WT fits.

So this Am with a pile of pieces of lattice tower and steel tube. 

I inserted the steel tubes into the alloy legs and then drilled through 10mm holes for the bolts, I've actually used stainless threaded rod cut to make studs. The steel tube effectively transfers the vertical loading down to the next section of lattice mast. The new tower top plate needed drilling to take shackles and will need a paint job.

Having drilled all the required bolt holes I took the lot apart and then applied a goodly coat of grease to all before final reassembly. I wont overtighten the bolts through the tube until the tower is up and the section has settled.

Not finished but on the way.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »

Lovely bit of fabrication Andy, got a bit going on meself at the mo, jus' making a new base for me 15m monopole using some 25mm steel plate and M30 high tensile bar.

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Sean

« Reply #204 on: November 14, 2016, 09:30:45 PM »

Is that one of those alloy rigging towers ?
offthegridandy

« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »

Aye Sean, used for lighting,rigging sound stages etc.

Thanks Paul, and there's me not back up and flying and you taunt me with your big erection.  Looks good, we await a story.
Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2017, 08:51:15 PM »

So finally the waiting is over and the HP WT is flying and the amps are coming in again.

Having done the repair to the tower I decided that I'd winch it back to vertical without the WT atop. I'm confident about it's strength under vertical load but as it's been dropped once I thought I'd be prudent about the lifting.

We got the tower winched up a week or 2 before Christmas and discovered that one of the hinge pins had been twisted slightly. I had to introduce a few mill of steel plate under 1 side of the base plate to right that. I've also added uprated guy rigging of 6mm wire rope for the the mast

Last week we had a few calm days so I erected 30 ft of scaffold tower.  In the pic's the scaff tower was still awaiting two more lifts.  I had the scaff secured to the mast. I then winched up the turbine, blades and tail and completed the reassembly. I spent yesterday going around all the rigging and adjusting turnbuckles and tightening locknuts.  All the shackles have copper wire ties to lock them of.

Today I let the brake of and she's been churning away all day. Peak of about 40 amps and the tail seems to start to furl about then.  After the crash landing I rebuilt this WT as a 8ft dia 750 watt model so 40 amps is about right.

So here's to a happy ending, hopefully.

Cheers

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Tinbum

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:52 PM »

Are you missing a guy rope/wire off the nearest corner Huh?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:43:22 PM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tombo

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2017, 05:05:04 AM »

In case it helps someone else - I had to turn off my add-blocker (Ublock origin) in order to see Andy's photos.  It seems to only effect Andy's.
camillitech

« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »

Fine job Andy (as usual),

All the shackles have copper wire ties to lock them of.

Not that you are likely to Andy, but don't ever do that in sea water. The galvanic action attacks the shackle, usually the threads  sh*tfan. That wire I was using for my rebar  http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27644.msg318242.html#msg318242 was actually for shackles. Your shackles will be just fine as they are but if you do want the right stuff PM me an I'll post you some.

Cheers, Paul

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: