navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 72788 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2018, 06:45:29 AM »

Sorry to hear of your memory problems Andy.
However welcome to the world of the the 'retired,'  I'll be betting that after a while you will wonder how you ever managed to fit in work! Grin
Looking forward to your project updates
All the best

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »

Hi Andy,
         I retired over a decade ago and came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as retirement. The only difference is, you get to choose what you want to do and the day to do it. You are not a slave to the time keeper but at the same time, if you are involved in a really interesting project, You tend to push on until it is finished.
   I,m looking forward to pics of your new W/T .
                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »

Hi Biff, Paul Tod and all, thanks for kind words.

Well lets try the pictures first as I can't see any now on my own posts?

Had a real nice day today.  Picked 7.5Lbs of blackcurrants and a couple of pounds of strawberries, strimmed about a 1/4 acre of shaded overgrown bank and got in the shed. The lure of the WT calleth!!

I've now got the 2X's  450mm dia steel dissc for the rotors and the main hub now fitted with new bearings and dust seal ready to go off for machining in the morning.  I've also got the copper wire for the coils and have made a new coil winder.  This 4.2 mtr turbine has 12 coils with 300 turns per coil for AC coupling.  Well no way I can keep that count accurate so I added in a cheapo digital counter with a proximity switch.  I've wound 4 coils today and on 300 turns they each check in at 365 gramms; exactly as calculated.

I'm building a "pump station for the business at present.  Got to deliver water from a bowser to 18 showers at 4 litre per min per and have automatic on/off on demand. Main feed and supply to a manifold is 50mm MDPE.  Big nuts I say.  Waiting for 1 part then that projects finished. And then back to the coils.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
guydewdney

« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2018, 09:04:04 PM »

One pump, 18 showers? Either thats a massive pump or when all are on you will get a dribble. Have you considered an accumulator? I have a large holiday let, with 14 bathrooms. We have one pump, but also 1500 litres of stored pressured water.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
offthegridandy

« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2018, 08:14:03 AM »

Hi Guy, yes its quite an ask.  Especially as its a portable device for taking out on site. Basically a big box on wheels. The pump is 240V single phase.  Ports are 1.5" BSP, pump can deliver up to 250 litre per minute (theoreticaly).  Supply to each block of 6  showers is 25mm MTPE.   The customer is supplying the bowser/supply. and we have a caveat in the contract that covers us if the water supply is inadequte.  We shall see!!

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Westie

« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »

Have to agree with Guy about using an accumulator to even out the supply to the showers....... especially if they're electric showers as the temp will vary with flow.....

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
offthegridandy

« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »

Gas showers, 1 boiler per 3 showers. 6 showers per potable cabin.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »

Got the pump all assembled today and did a test run.  With the pump simply sucking from a tank, no mains water connection test as follows.  Tank capacity 135 litres water.  3 delivery cocks open and pump switched on, the tank was pumped dry in 45 seconds which I make 180 litres per minute. Allowing 5 litre per minute per shower on 18 showers that accounts for  only 90 litre per  minute so I have a margin .

I have had to strip the set up though, as I had 1 leak on the male/male nipple in 1.5 inch BSP iron that connects to the pump output.  I'd tried using a modern, non setting thread sealant but not impressed.  I'll probably use hemp/putty on it tomorrow. 

Postie brought me a parcel today with 32 lethal little magnets.  So now another job I can finally get on with.  Should hope to have the 450mm Dia steel discs back from machining at the end of the week.  I I'm going to send them of to be galvanised before I fix the magnets as I don't want to have to worry about paint flaking off in the future.

Very lttle ventilation in my shed cos the window frames/hinges are pretty well rusted up (rain Wales noo never) so It's certainly been preetty warm in there and the morrow looks to be the same.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

Same kind of weather here Andy.
                                       Stiffling hot and clammy. I use big 18" fans to keep the hounds cool and it works for us as well. I think they are 40watt or approx but it is better than being blinded by sweat.
       Good luck with the new W/T, I only do certain adaptions and adjustments and that can give exciting results but building a proper HP W/T from scratch is bound to give a hell of a buzz.
                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

Got the pump all assembled today and did a test run.  With the pump simply sucking from a tank, no mains water connection test as follows.  Tank capacity 135 litres water.  3 delivery cocks open and pump switched on, the tank was pumped dry in 45 seconds which I make 180 litres per minute. Allowing 5 litre per minute per shower on 18 showers that accounts for  only 90 litre per  minute so I have a margin .

I have had to strip the set up though, as I had 1 leak on the male/male nipple in 1.5 inch BSP iron that connects to the pump output.  I'd tried using a modern, non setting thread sealant but not impressed.  I'll probably use hemp/putty on it tomorrow. 

Postie brought me a parcel today with 32 lethal little magnets.  So now another job I can finally get on with.  Should hope to have the 450mm Dia steel discs back from machining at the end of the week.  I I'm going to send them of to be galvanised before I fix the magnets as I don't want to have to worry about paint flaking off in the future.

Very lttle ventilation in my shed cos the window frames/hinges are pretty well rusted up (rain Wales noo never) so It's certainly been preetty warm in there and the morrow looks to be the same.

Cheers.

Andy

Hi Andy,

is this the stuff you used https://www.tradecounterdirect.com/product/virgin-white-ptfe-thread-paste_size-120ml.html cos I've always found it excellent. Trouble with the hemp stuff (well the trouble I've found) is that bits of the hemp find there way into to the system valves and eventually cause no end of hard to diagnose and fix problems a couple of years down the line. Methinks the general rule is paste or tape up to 1.5" BSP then hemp above that.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
knighty

« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »

"loctite 55 pipe sealing cord"

imagine PTFE tape, but it's thin string instead... wrap it around, it gets into the threads etc..

had a problem sealing some 2.5inch connections a while back, nothing I tried worked (metal fitting into plastic)... was on a 20,000 litre tank... kept filling the bloody thing then have it leak and having to empty it again!

friend gave me some of the above tape to try, worked great, used it loads since and it's always worked great :-)
offthegridandy

« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »

Thanks for suggestions chaps.  I found I had a brass nipple in stock so I changed out the iron one for the brass and used a squirt of Fernox FS-X leak and thread sealant and all leaks are gone.   All tested fine, had to adjust the pressure valve a tadge so pump goes off on no demand.  So I finished it's box, got a coat of paint on and fitted transport wheels. Gloss paint 1st thing tomorrow whilst it's still cool enough to paint then back to the WT

Paul, the Postie delivered the gun today, thanks very much.  Addressed to Andy (portaloo) *** Wales. Good on yer. I think the Royal Mail do a brilliant job.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »

Paul, the Postie delivered the gun today, thanks very much.  Addressed to Andy (portaloo) *** Wales. Good on yer. I think the Royal Mail do a brilliant job.

Andy

Aye Andy, Royal Mail are brilliant, I once received a card from Australia that was addressed :- Paul Camilli, small island west coast of Scotland !!!!!, it arrived in just a few days. Having said that I also received some photographs from the National Maritime Museum four years late and a similar delay for a letter from a Glasgow girl with a proposal of marriage. The latter one even had the full and correct postal address on it, the former came via a previous address that I'd lived in some years earlier. The photos of HMS Narborough and Opal still adorn my office, Jeanette  married some psycho that ended up in the Bar-L https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Barlinnie, Lucky escape for both of us I reckon  Grin 

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »

So some progress to report. 

I've got all the coils wound, that's 12 off.  I actually made 16, 4 test units to get the optimum size.  They have come out at 300 turns per coil with 8 of the 12 being identical weight of copper and a variation on the other 4 of less than 10 grams which is about 2% and well within the 5% tolerance allowed.  I've managed to get the coils thin ( 12mm max) which means the finished stator should be less than 15mm thick when cast in resin. The thinner the coils are, the closer together the magnet rotors can run; one each side of the stator, which maximises the flux effect on the coils. More flux more power.

The investment in a counter was well worth it with 300 coil turns to keep track of it would be easy to loose count so the 9 sent to China was a good deal!  The high nos of turns is because I'm want  the out put to be grid tied not for battery charging.

The previous stators I wound were for 300mm dia rotors. This larger unit has 450mm dia rotors and the stator is bigger also, so I have had to make new moulds for the rotors and stator. Lessons learnt from previous efforts; this time round I have filled the cut edges of the plywood mould and created a slight chamfer so when it comes time to release the mould from the casting hopefully they will come out clean

The coils are effectively 3 groups of 4 with no1 linked in series to nos 4, 7,10 etc.  I've soldered all connections and sheathed the joints and then wired the 3 output wires to some 2.5Kw rated immersion heater cable, nice and flexible and heat proof. These 3 wires will go to a junction box on the back of the alternator and eventually be connected to the cable that drops down inside the tower.

My friendly machinist is off sick this week so no progress on the rotor discs and the blacksmith who's making the foundation root has been building a truck body for me so the root is also still awaiting completion.  It will all come together eventually.

It gets very hot in the shed as the day progresses so I hope/plan to make an early start tomorrow and get the coils cast in resin for the stator before the ambient temp gets too high.  I'll cut down the recommended quantity of hardener by half (catalyst) so the resin doesn't go off before I've finished the job.

So here's some snaps of the progress on the stator mould etc. Enjoy!!

Last job today was to put 2 coats of wax and polish all the mould surfaces ready to pour tomorrow.  So warm now that the wax was becoming liquid in the tin.  I'll put another coat of wax on tomorrow just to be sure.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2018, 06:16:07 PM »

Looks great Andy.

Will your grid tie be metered? IE will you get paid for it or is it just so that any excess gets sent to the grid when you're not using it? I've been wondering about a HP turbine but we're grid tied with our PV and I was wondering about something to add to the winter months by way of generation.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: