navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 68807 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #330 on: September 29, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »

Very posh work Andy,
                   Like N2 says, it is almost a pity to bury that lovely galvanised gear but you are right, You will not have to diddle about with it ever again.
  Great pics and very impressive.
                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2018, 10:42:12 PM »

That lot's far too nice to bury in the ground! Grin

The Ancients did it all the time N2, just think in 2000 years time when the archaeologists dig it up they'll have hunners of theories  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #332 on: September 30, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »

Cracking work Andy, youre really making this one a bit special.

Im just started an evening class in learning to weld and one of Hughs turbines is sitting in the back of my head as a possible project to work on next year

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
offthegridandy

« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »

Go for it Mr MF.  Do the welding course, get some scrap metal to practice on then go for it. My welding has improved no end from practice.  I really learn't from watching an expert.

I'd suggest building a 2.4 mtr HP turbine to start.  Not so big that it's difficult to handle on your own; but big enough to give a decent out put, 750w or so.

I figure this will be my last big project so I'm trying to use all the knowledge I've acquired over the years to make it something to be proud of.

7 Lbs of marmalade made this morning . We freeze the Seville oranges in 7 Lb bags, whole,when we buy them in January. The big autumn tidy up and gardening duties for the rest of the day.

Back on WT tomorrow.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
Tinbum

« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »

Go for it Mr MF.  Do the welding course, get some scrap metal to practice on then go for it.

And buy good quality equipment!! A bad workman always blames his tools but in some cases it's true.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »

Mr MF, you will enjoy welding and find it very satisfying when you make something that is strong and rugged. My first few attempts looked as though an incontinent pigeon had meandered across the job, but once it clicks and you get the knack, you will show your work with pride. Practice may not make perfect, but fitness for purpose is the important thing.
If you ever get stuck, there's a zillion tips and tricks on youtube.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #336 on: September 30, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »

Yes Ive browsing YouTube which is very useful

On the recommendation of the migwelding forum Ive bought a Portamig 235, probably overkill for what I need but itll handle anything from thin sheet to girders. Current projects in the barn include fixing and reinforcing a trailer that has broken and repairing some of the tractor bodywork and an old link box for it. PLenty to keep me busy.

First project though will probably be a welding table for the workshop which I can build as a project during the course. Oh and I had 16A supply points put in the barn and workshop when the rewiring was done so I have the power available for hefty machinery.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
offthegridandy

« Reply #337 on: September 30, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »

Well piccys please  Mr MF when you've got summat to show.

Good luck.

Andy
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:41:11 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #338 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »

So I got a mini digger in for a day on Thursday and got the turbine base site down to bed rock.

Whilst the machine was here we also cut and leveled a new track and level base in the field for a pony shelter.

Very boring pics of a piece of rock for today chaps.

The root section has to set into this rock base.  1st thing I'll do is shutter up say 75mm about 750 X 750 and make a level concrete plinth where the root section must go.  I'll then drill down through the concrete pad into the underlying rock; a series of holes to accept the rebar legs on the bottom of the root section.  I have a plywood jig with the holes set out which I can drill through. The legs are then bonded in with the Hilti mortar.

I see a couple of the rebar legs have got knocked out of square at some point. I'll have to straighten them out before final fitting.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »

You are getting there Andy,
                      I never thought there could be so much work involved but Paul on Rasaay had a similar root to his tower..
  I think that i got away light with the 8 guys, Grin
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #340 on: October 06, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »

You are getting there Andy,
                      I never thought there could be so much work involved but Paul on Rasaay had a similar root to his tower..
  I think that i got away light with the 8 guys, Grin
                                                    Biff

Mine was much rustier Biff  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2018, 05:59:52 PM »

Thanks for words of encouragement guys.

It's been dry today so I got my concrete pad cast, only needed 2 barrow loads so not too demanding.  I'll leave it to cure of for a few days.  I did add a bit of frost proof/accelerator and the pad is covered over in case of frost.

Things are starting to come together at last but i'll still have to wait for 6 weeks or so once the ready mix is in.

I've got some shuttering ply coming up on a wagon on Tuesday so I'll be able to get the pad properly defined and set out.
Mustn't forget to put some 100mm flexible trunking in the bottom for the cabling back to the shed.

Home grown lamb, potatoes, greens, onions and parsnips for supper tonight so I'd better go and cook it.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »

So a bit more progress down on the rock face.  Got the shuttering ply cut and in place before last week ends wind and rain. I had planned on a circlular base but ended up making an octogan as it seemed simpler. Took a peek 1st thing Saturday morning and I had 6 inches of water  on site and rising, so we had to dig a small leat to spill the pond away then I cut a perimeter channel to drain the site. Rock chipped out by pick axe OW!

Since Monday I've been getting the steel Hiltied into their now dryish holes.  I spoke to Hilti's tech dept who reassured me that the presence of moisture or wet rock faces didn't effect their product. Then progressed on to getting the rest of the  rebar in place and reinforcing the form work. Hope its strong enough now. I've got 2.5mm sheet metal corner posts with 18mm shuttering ply.  The center of each panel is braced down into the ground and the top perimeter is braced with 4X1. 2  off 5 tonne ratchet straps around the girth complete the ensemble.   Total weight of concrete is around 8.5 tonnes.

Plan to pour on Monday. So I've got to drop the scaffold tower  to give the wagon a place to park.  I've used some old tin to make some chutes which I need to assemble and make any supports needed. The ready mix will be parked about 2 mtrs above the site base so hoping not to have much to do with wheel barrows.  I'll do the vibrating poker.

Before I back fill I'll drop a bit of plastic drain in as some of the water was coming out of the rock face so it needs to  sent on its way, not blocked in.

Cheers for now .

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

Looking great Andy.

offthegridandy

« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »

Cheers Mr MF, Forgot these piccys.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC