navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 72787 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #345 on: October 21, 2018, 04:55:45 PM »

We've had a nice bit of sunshine this morning so I was able to get everything double checked for tomorrow when the ready mix lorry pitches up at 10.30.

I had dug a hole to cast a concrete pad for the winch to fix to.  Yesterday I drilled down into the bed rock at the bottom of the hole and resin glued some rebar in.  I also got some 500mm lengths of rebar sideways into the side wall of the hole to increase the effective area of the pad.  So the last 2 jobs were to set a piece of 25mm galvanised threaded rod down in the pad hole.  I secured the lower end of the rod into a piece of 6mm steel plate which goes in the bottom of the hole, lock nuts and thread lock to ensure thread don't come loose in the future.

I lowered the plate into the hole, set upright then secured the plate to the rebar.

Lastly I made a small timber surround to set the finished concrete level and fitted a nut at finished conc level and put a shroud over the upstand to keep the threads clean.

Also earlier this week I finally got "the tree" down,  I've been waiting for 3 years ( it's a mates rates job so no leverage) but at long last it's down and sliced into rounds.  So now we got another job with the wedge, sledge and felling axe, I just know it's going to hurt.  I logged 2 rounds after lunch just to make a start then went up the garden and dug in all the mustard/green manure that I sowed in vacant beds in August.  

Now I think a home brewed beer before supper to help build up my strength for tomorrow. This tower foundation is the most expensive element of this project both in money and physical labour so I'll hopefully be a happy bunny this time tomorrow.

Hole with  threaded bar in place.

Tree to North West

Not now.

Cheers.

Andy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:58:11 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #346 on: October 21, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »

exciting times. I hear you on the log splitting. I put 26m3 in the woodshed last winter, all split by hand. Satisfying though and I just took my time and did a few hours whenever I felt up to it. I enjoy the work on a sunny day and over a winter it all gets put away eventually. Time to start this winter's wood clearing soon.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
offthegridandy

« Reply #347 on: October 21, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »

Hi Mr MF. There's a nice line in I think Stig of The Dump;logging; it warms you twice! Once when cutting and once when burning.

I agree, certainly at my age and level of decrepitude doing a little bit at a time is they key. 26qube, that's certainly some muscle.

When we first moved here and the place was virtually derelict K's mother lived with us.  She was 80 when we moved here.  I had a delivery of slates (6430) for the roof here and Beryl asked what can I do to help.  The lorry couldn't get right up our track and had off loaded 1/2 way down the track. I told Beryl we needed the slates bringing down the tack.  Every day she moved 3  or 4 barrows with slates in; maybe 20 or 30 a time.  After a fortnight she'd moved nigh on a 1000 slates.  Next I rigged up a trailer for her to load then each night when I came home I'd hitch up and bring them home.

We buried our Beryl about 3 years ago and now I'm the decrepit one!!

Andy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:59:44 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:18 PM »

We buried our Beryl about 3 years ago and now I'm the decrepit one!!

Andy

Reminds me of someone I knew Andy, died a couple of years ago just shy of her 90th birthday and would put many a man half her age to shame. Turbine base looking good  Cool

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »

One of our French neighbours we found up an apple tree supported by a ladder of the same vintage she was 87 at the time. They built them tough in those days.

Coming on nicely Andy, beautiful  scenery to boot.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
offthegridandy

« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »

Hi Paul,  keep those good memories close to your heart.

Sun shine again this AM and PV is pushing in about 2800 W/hr so battery is bibbling nicely.

Ready mix wagon has been and gorn.  All my concrete shutes worked good and the shuttering didn't collapse.  Middle of last night I was doing mental arithmetic as to the loads on the side walls of the shuttering before I decided it must be all good and went back to sleep.

Quite relieved now the jobs done, I can relax.  6 weeks wait before I can load the base with tower and turbine.

Paul, thanks for the loan of your Hilti gun, I'll get it posted back to you so you can lend on again if the need arises.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »

Yer going well Andy,
                 Great pics. Yee put ma guys to shame, all 8 of them.
  My old man began dying about 85 or so and he refused to go on a dialysis machine because he did not like the idea. So My sisters were trotting down to the hospital twice a day trying to persuade him to change his mind but he was having none of it. So days later the poison starts taking effect and he begins talking in his sleep. Next thing he starts driving the truck in the bed in the hospital, double declutching and going up and down through the gears. My sister M asked him what was wrong and he said quite clearly that the tide was coming in fast and that he had to get off the strand, M knew he was driving the truck in his sleep but now he was wide awake and talking about the tide and trying to pick up speed, She went to the doctor and he said that if he continued as he was the damage would be irreversible but if they signed the papers, taking control of the proceedings, he would put him on the dialysis machine immediately. This they did and a few days later he was back in the land of the living and heading home. Just like that and none the worse except he had to sit by the machine every 3 days for the rest of his life, When he was 94 , he got up on a Saturday morning about 8ish and took his car out of the garage went off for the paper and returned to park at the front of the house, After a cuppa on his own, he must have stood up in pain and fell down dead on the hearth. The Plumber was updating the system in the house and when he returned to work on the following Monday the house was still full of people, and the poor man did not know where to look.My cousins and I had a bit of a giggle about that. My sisters described to me how my dad was driving in the bed, I knew it could only have been one of two places, either passing over that patch of quicksand on Ballyliffin Strand ,which had him standing up straight ,his hand shading his eyes, looking for the water bubbles rising from the sand in front and his shoe to the board in 3rd on the Old 6 speed Seddon with it,s lazy old Perkins P6. The other place was on a foreign shore with hundreds of boats waiting to take him and his fellow soldiers off the beach after watching his CO blow his own brains out. Driving on that beach was the scariest things ever and certain lessons had to be learned very quickly but they stood him good stead for the rest of his life. It also damaged him big time. He kept an X army light weight bull nose Bedford until I was about 8 years old. His 6 wheel drive Canadian V8 was sold when I was about 6 years old. Even back then, when Petrol was 2 and 6 a gallon (12 cents approx) those machines literally drank the juice. Our Seddons from Oldham were good. lazy but reliable and economic.  Do I miss him ?. I don,t honestly know. It is a terrible thing to admit. My sisters think that he is up there in heaven sitting in a corner with a little pair of golden wings and a good book in his hand and occasionally dispensing gold coins of wisdom among the other top angels in  an effort to keep the place right and respectable, The other male side of the family including myself, think he is down there in hell, trying to organise  2 week boozing sessions and calling them all out on strike if he don,t succeed.
   It is difficult to relate to in any kind of constructive way, My old man and his two brothers had this ability to bestow upon different people totally conflicting impressions as to what kind of guys they were the results were that my cousins and I had people coming to their wakes and regaling the audience with tales of their generosity and loyal friendships. And,,And non stop tales of good deeds and not accepting a penny in return. Unbelievable stuff. I remember Mal/Rog and I in a huddle outside their house when their Da was being waked. They said that their had to be two Barneys because they could not relate any of the stories they heard inside to the Dad that they knew. Mal later wrote about it in one of his books. Then when my own dad died, we experienced the same thing. These nice people came out of the woodwork by the dozen and told such lovely stories about him, that the three of us were totally bamboozled. We were definitely living in a parallel universe. I did suggest to them, one time ,that perhaps there was this side to the undertaking business where they supplied professional liars to praise the carp out of the deceased no matter what they had done in life. I was kind of surprised that they were not amused. They wisely do not always agree with me.
 Anyhow, I,m heading out to chat up this bird next door, She is having problems with her Hubby but don,t they all.
                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »

Morning Biff and thanks for the story about your Dad. I like the idea of Professional liars; oh hang on maybe they'd  be what we call Politicians!!

Here's my concrete in all it's glory.

I covered the slab last night for frost protection and this morning the top is setting nice and hard.

Any one a suggestion as to how long to leave the shuttering up.  I was thinking 5 days or so.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »

For longer lasting, harder setting concrete keep wetting the surface every day for as long as possible until the rain sets in. This will aid the chemical process to continue within the structure of the concrete over the next few months. Looks good!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
offthegridandy

« Reply #354 on: November 02, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »

Hi there Nickel2.  I've kept the plastic sheet over the concrete for most of the last week or so.  Took the form work down a couple of days ago and everything looks good.  I kept the surfaces damp for the 1st week or so so hopefully the concrete will achieve max strength.

Whilst waiting for concrete to cure I've been getting on with welding up the alternator frame. It's been a struggle cos my (35 yr old) 150 amp welder packed up a week or 2 ago and I foolishly made a quick purchase for a temporary replacement. Picked up a bargain at machine mart with out applying the brain. A little  110 amp jobby for under 80.  It works OK in it's design range but can't cope with 3.5mm rods and 10mm steel. 2.5mm rods are OK but with the 10mm steel I have to go over the work piece a couple of times to fill the V groove and the weld is a bit messy but I trust strong enough.

The frame is now all finished and I just have to weld on the stops which limit the range of the furling tail.

After the concrete pour I assembled the hub, magnet rotors and stator to test. On this build, the 3rd time round,  I've managed to give the rotors and stator a nice even thickness of fibreglass resin.  The stator is only 13mm thick and the rotors 21mm finished so I can get the mag rotors running with an even 1.5mm gap between the faces so should get the maximum magnetic flux to give lots of volts out.

Having assembled the alternator I did a small test hand cranking the rotor.  At an estimated 60 RPM I got 30VAC on the meter.   Referring back to my excel spread sheet where I originally calculated the coil sizes, if I  put in 60RPM the result shows raw AC output should be 32.73V so chuffed with that. As this turbine is for AC coupling the Inverter will start to to operate at > 50VDC input. The calculations show at 60 RPM the rectified DC volts should be 87 V ( 3 phases combined), this would indicate that the alternator should start to produce some power at relatively low speeds which is what I want.  How many amps I get at this speed will remain to be seen.

Sun is shinning and the frost is melting off the truck.  I must go out and get some more flap wheels to tidy up the messy welds and then I can have a big painting session on all the raw steel. Red lead then a couple of good coats of gloss.

I'll try to remember to take a few snaps to post later.

So of out to enjoy the chilly sunshine. Oh yes the PV arrays ( 4.5KW) were pumping in 1100 watts at 8.30 AM today luvly stuff.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #355 on: November 02, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »

Hi Andy,

Hilti gun arrived safely thanks and it's available for anyone else who would like to borrow it. How does your Outback cope with the welder? Mine tripped once or twice at the higher Amperage's, I guess around 140. For years I only ever used the welder via the generator for fear of damaging the inverter (think I read some pish about it on the net) but nowadays I always do it via the SI or (when I was in the other house) the Trace SW4548. They seem to make better welds than the generator, I did try the Outback when doing my turbine base but it's not connected to a generator or my own grid automatically (has to be manually switched to charge or assist).

Keep up the good work, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #356 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »

Sounds good Andy.
           It is hard to feel joyfull in the wind and rain but the blasts oof sunshine  don't  half lift the heart.
 That is the beauty of a great project like your turbine. It wins every way and goes on winning  by supplying good fossil free power. Hats off to you.
             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #357 on: November 02, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »

Hi Paul, glad to hear the Postie did his/her stuff OK.  I have great faith in the local post people. Always got a smile and a good word and all whilst wering shorts in the craziest weather.

I always start the genny before welding, Just can't bear to think of all those amps going out.  In fact with good batteries and ample PV  I should be alright but don't want to upset the Outback, why risk it.  Cos we run our business from home, admin side, if I put the power out it's not just me that sduffers but paid staff as well, oh no no no.

Didn't get any piccies done but have spent a couple of hours shaping pieces of steel plate for the tail boom stops.  Both bits have a semi circle cut out to fit around the yaw bearing (90mm dia) so having drawn to size on the steel I used a 3 inch hole saw to get a nice even curve cut.  I still needed to finish the shape with the grinder but it gave a nice starting profile.  Using large 3 or 4 inch hole saws on steel I set the drill to a low max speed or use a drill with a clutch on the chuck so if the saw snatches it doesn't break your wrist.

I trained as a cabinet maker and used to sneer at metal work, dirty great lumps of stuff.  But I'm  really enjoying this semi precision metal work,  by hand. It's very satisfying when you put the bits together with a fine fit, and makes the welding so much easier as well.  More to do yet.

Oh and a few more logs to split tomorrow.  I really want to get them all shifted before the weather sets foul

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #358 on: November 02, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

I should be alright but don't want to upset the Outback, why risk it. 

Aye Andy 'better safe than sorry' right enough, that's how I felt for years then I was doing one of these welding jobs under a Land Rover with lots of messing about between welds and I figured I'd be fine with the MIG as it's on a 13A plug and the steel was relatively thin. I guess I just got more and more ambitious and less cautious but I noticed Hugh does all his welding via the Inverter too and he used to run Outbacks I'm sure. The Trace was 4.5kW continuous and the SI 4.8kW and I was welding rebar onto 20mm steel plate via the SI. I guess a single Outback is just a bit too small for the heavier stuff.

I just wish more vendors would use Royal Mail, couriers are OK near civilisation but out in the sticks Royal Mail and Parcelforce rule. I once received a Christmas card from Australia in just a few days, it was addressed to :- Paul Camilli, Small Island west coast of Scotland  Shocked  Shocked Mind you I once got a photo from the Imperial War Museum two years late and a proposal of marriage from Slovenia months after I'd married my own Post Lady  Grin   

offthegridandy

« Reply #359 on: November 02, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »

Marriage proposals by post. What ever next!.

Mind, at least it was delivered.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 31   Go Up
  Print