navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 68714 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #390 on: December 24, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »

Brilliant  Andy.
         Very professional.  You are almost all ready to  fly.
  It is looking  really good. Let's hope you  get a civilised  breeze to start you off. fingers crossed!
          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2018, 06:04:56 PM »

Hi Biff. Hope everyone has had a pleasant festive time.

It's been a mild, dry and windless day; grey and overcast but perfect for today's work.  I did sneak outside yesterday between guests to fit the tail boom and vane, it does look big but hey, it's "what the book says"!

So today I got the new Tirfor winch out and also the rigging slings.  They were made to order by a Bristol based company called Safety lifting gear. I ordered them (to be made to order) at 3.25PM and they arrived at 1PM the following day complete with certificates etc, brilliant service and not dear.  They fit perfectly for setting the Gin pole up.

So with all the rigging in place I had to disconnect a guy on the old turbine tower, then I was able to start to lift the new tower up.  Heart in mouth and nervous but up she went.  I only lifted enough to give clearance for the blades to miss the ground as I still had to do any final balancing.  So that set the tower top and alternator about 3 mtr of the ground.  To get the blades to rotate in a vertical plane I needed to attach a rope to the tail and pull the turbine round so the blades were upright .  The rope tied off on a convenient guy wire on the old tower so the gods were smiling.  With everything hanging off the Tirfor I put a prop of 4"X4" timber under the tower just to be safe.

When I assembled the blades 1st time, back in the summer I made a number of lead and steel plates pre drilled with 16mm holes to fit on the blade mounting studs. So with the turbine secured I put some steps up and got 1 blade marked with red tape to ID it, then set about the balancing.  With the brake off a couple of spins identified the light point/blade at the top.  One at a time I added the lead plates, simply fitting them onto the studs, which I had deliberately left over length. 3 lead plates and a 5mm steel plate plus nuts soon did the job. The plates are about 50mm wide by 125mm long and being predrilled made the job very quick and easy.

I gave the blades a final hefty twirl and when I looked in the garage I almost thought I saw a light glimmer on the invertor. Exciting ish.  So I toddled of and got SWMBO.  Put her in the garage and told her to watch this box and see if any lights come on.  Back up the steps and boy did I spin those blades.  Big shout from the garage "all the lights are on". WOWEE it works, we're making electricity. Did I doubt that it would work, naa but it really is nice to get it confirmed.  At 60RPM the calculated alternator output is 63VAC and the invertor doesn't turn on until the input (via the rectifier) is 50VDC' so I must have had the blades up to about 60RPM to get the lights on.

To late to go any further today so I tied up the blades with rope and applied the brake.

So next up is to winch the tower up to the top and get the nuts on at the tower base.  These studs are 24mm dia, 12 off. Must look up the torque setting, 600mm long bar and socket and grunt I think. 24 new galvanised nuts are sitting in the shed  for just this moment.  Better check and see how much locktite I've got left here.    Locknuts and locktite, belt and braces for me.

Still got a bit of wiring to tidy up with the relays for the dump loads. But I have down loaded the Iverter's "install software" and loaded it on to the oldest PC and it seems to work "off line".  I think I can program the power curve and save the file whilst working "off line" so the time required with the PC down in the garage should be minimal hopefully. So I'll dig out Hughs figures and give that a try.

Business calls tomorrow so fingers crossed for the weekend.

Last job I did today was use a spray can of Hammerite straight to metal paint, to blow a couple of coats over any bare metal, scratches or uncoated nuts and thread.

I can see the finish line now.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #392 on: December 28, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »

Looking fantastic Andy.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
gravyminer

« Reply #393 on: December 28, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »

Bl00dy well done Andy  genuflect

Probaby your best christmas pressie and one you will remember and hopefully benefit from for many more christmases.

A bit ironic that your biggest risk of injury was probably from trying to manually get the max rpm out of the rotor  hysteria

If you are not confident that double nutting will hold the M24's down, you could chisel a bit of thread or deform the nut into the bolt ?

Not sure about locktite in an outdoor ( moisture / frost ) environment ......

Or a set of those bright yellow triangles they put over lorry wheelnuts, so you can see if they move

Or just splash some galvafroid paint on the exposed thread ?

gravyminer
offthegridandy

« Reply #394 on: December 28, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »

Thanks all.  I'm not sure about the loctite either but it can't do any harm neither can a layer of paint.  I dipped the tips of the studs in red lead when I cut them and will give them a final lick of paint when the big burgers are all tightened down.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #395 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »

If there is room to do so, is it worth wrapping the finished assembly in anti corrosion tape? It has some really sticky army-coloured greasy goo/gunge impregnated into a cloth medium. Stays on in all weathers, can be removed and cleaned if service is required.
Google < anti corrosion tape >
The steam railway bods wrap the stuff around newly-turned/faced axle-journals for weather protection in outdoor storage. (i.e. leave them outside in all weathers for the next umpteen years until they get used)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
offthegridandy

« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »

Hi Nickel2 never thought of that, I'll look into it. Cheers

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »

If there is room to do so, is it worth wrapping the finished assembly in anti corrosion tape? It has some really sticky army-coloured greasy goo/gunge impregnated into a cloth medium. Stays on in all weathers, can be removed and cleaned if service is required.
Google < anti corrosion tape >
The steam railway bods wrap the stuff around newly-turned/faced axle-journals for weather protection in outdoor storage. (i.e. leave them outside in all weathers for the next umpteen years until they get used)

Densotape http://www.denso.net/densotape/ is the stuff chaps but seriously, none of this Loctite, paint, Galvafroid blah, blah, blah is necessary. They are M20 Galvanized nuts and bolts, take a look around at all the bridges, lighting towers, forecourt canopies etc, etc, etc, torque em up 'double nut' em they are going nowhere. All that carp you put on them is just going to make inspection and removal for servicing a nightmare. They don't need it, if they do then you've fecked something up during assembly.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #398 on: January 01, 2019, 02:51:43 PM »

"Morning Campers" and happy New Year.  

I got cold feet (very) a couple of days ago about winching my beast up into place, is the winch strong enough, are the strops long enough, is the winching point sound etc, and how do you calculate the load when 13 mtr s X 900 kilos are hanging on a wire rope?

So I spent Sunday doing trigonometry and calculating the actual load on the winch, gin pole and winching point.  I did finally work out a formula and then found a worked example of same on another off grid forum which confirmed my formula/results.  Yesterday us oldies here made merry and today fully confident we took to the tirfor winch.  I was out the door by 9.30 and by 10.30 !!

I'm now grinning like a Cheshire cat. The tower went up in a slow majestic fashion with no alarming creaks or groans.  The last unknown was whether the hinged base plate on the tower would come down cleanly over the studs on the bottom plate.  Well it all came down smoothly.  I had positioned a 3 tonne bottle jack to stop the tower from dropping down too fast as the tower came up to vertical but it was barely needed as every thing dropped into place just dandy.

1.2 mtr spirit level was applied to all 4 sides and showed the bubble right in the "zone" so  the tower is truly upright. On with the nuts and locknuts. Lid also fitted on to the tower access hatch and the jobs a good un!!

I've still some electrics to do but we've had a 3 to 5 mtr wind since raising the tower, so I let off the brake and the blades started to turn and very quickly the grid tie inverter was showing incoming power; and a message saying "unable to sync".  Which is quite correct as the AC output breaker is out.

It 1 year and 11 months since I collected the tower and at the time I said this would be a long project, didn't actually figure on this long but what the heck.

I will post a piccy or two later.  I've got the glass plates out of the Kodak and sent them to be developed.

Thanks for every ones help and advice along the way.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:54:47 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
daveluck_uk

« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2019, 04:02:26 PM »

I'm fairly new to all this off grid stuff but I have immensely enjoyed this thread!

Congratulations! A fantastic ending toma brilliant thread.

Well done!
camillitech

« Reply #400 on: January 01, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »

Good news indeed Andy, now the fun really starts when you start tinkering around with the power curve  fingers crossed!

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:02 PM »

Great news Andy and what a start to the new year. Will look forward to the pictures and the continuing adventures of what can now hardly be called a 'half-built' turbine Smiley

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
offthegridandy

« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »

Thanks Paul and Dave' you too can have hours of endless fun and heart stopping moments, just follow the path.

Couple of piccies.

Plus this PM,  I made the final connection of the AC output from the GTI to the "house grid".  So relieved to find no ground faults.  I threw the turbine brake switch and within a couple of minutes the Aurora completed it's checks and 1st time synchronized to the "home grid".  The wind speed was about 4 mtrs per sec and the AC output was showing 150 watts at 170V.  I've still got no dump loads connected at present so prudence dictates that the brake is back on now, but I will confess to a tadj of excitement now.  Me and Mr Bells may have a conversation this evening.

Cheers

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »

Fantastic result ! Full of admiration (and envy)  genuflect genuflect
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »

Well done Andy
                  It is the greatest  feeling when it all comes alive to live and work for you.
  As such you cannot help but feel for it and fret during the storms and in the calm mutter words of encouragement  and sometimes impatience. The satisfaction  will always be there.
     Good luck
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: