navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 83540 times)
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #480 on: December 03, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »

Looks like it will do the job; fitness for purpose is what it's all about. As the tube is open-ended, there should be very little pressure/resistance to the grease-flow. How does the grease get distributed at the top?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
offthegridandy

« Reply #481 on: December 05, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »

I've now got the 10mm Cu tube to the base of the tower and into the service box.  The tube is all in one piece with no joins.  There are no fittings inside the tower top just an open tube so their is minimal resistance and the rotation of the yaw tube will help to spread the grease about.

I filled the spare grease gun that I'd allocated  to this job and connected it to the tube at the tower base and secured all with a couple of cable ties. I got a few strokes on the lever on the gun before the gun came apart  and a couple more goes also ended in a mess. I suspect the reason this grease gun was spare was because the treads are worn or damaged and under high pressure it comes apart.

So throwing caution and Christmas pennies to the wind ( again, last year it was a new winch) I have sent some of the hard earned pounds of to a boatyard in Lancashire and bought a proper greaser job.  I'd spent some hours trying to devise a home made article then realised I could buy summat proper for 31.00 and even a Yorkshire man like me could see the sense in buying the correct kit.

So now I'm waiting for the postie to bring me this.

So whilst I'm waiting, I got a fresh coat of paint on the alternator frame this PM and tomorrow I hope I may start to reassemble everything. I'll give everything a good coat of grease and if the parcel don't arrive I can winch everything up and fit the device afterwards, as it fit's at the base of the tower.

There's a nice breeze blowing tonight and I really want those amps so I can stop burning diesel every 3rd day.

Andy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:00:46 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
offthegridandy

« Reply #482 on: December 09, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »

The days keep slipping away ( along with my mind) but I got some progress today.  I got a grease gun attached to the 10mmCu tube at the base of the tower and pumped 2 full tubes of grease up and primed the tube.  After constantly stopping and checking what's happening at the top of the tower I ended up pumping far too much grease out of the top making a mess looking like a mega sized worm cast.

Any way with the tube now primed I  can remove the grease gun and fit the screw operated greaser. Trial and error but I expect 1 turn of the screw every couple of weeks will keep the bearing nicely lubed.

The nice new brass greaser is different size from the standard grease tubes so will have to be filled manually, another nice messy job.

I managed to get the alternator frame fitted on the top tower tube before darkness fell tonight so I should be able to start mounting the magnet rotor discs and the stator tomorrow.  The blades are still mounted on their discs so wont need to be re balanced but I'll need to rustle up some manual labour to lift them back into place

The new tail boom is also sat waiting to be refitted so with the pressure rising after the storm I may get some decent weather to get this job finished before the weekend.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33]   Go Up
  Print