navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 72713 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2016, 11:44:14 PM »

Hi Biff, Paul and thanks for kind words.  I'm not too upset whatever the outcome.  Nobody got hurt and the tower didn't suffer.  Machines can be fixed, people, not always.
 One of those days!!
Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »

Sorry to read of your troubles chaps. fingers crossed!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
camillitech

« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »

Well.the gale didn't arrive and it's not raining so I'm off out to lower mine and have a look see.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
DaveSnafu

« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »

The lower cover is coming off my proven, the tiewraps that hold it in place have rotted in the sun, I am worried that it will get in the rotor and smash the blades up, I can't lower it yet,the ground is still too sodden for my ground anchor to hold, was hoping for a decent frost but it has been so mild here.
A few years ago, I decided to build a scaffold tower around the mast and service it that way instead of lowering it, I climbed up the tower and the whole thing was rocking about in a most alarming manner, it scared the living daylights out of me, not trying that again. facepalm

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
camillitech

« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »

The lower cover is coming off my proven, the tiewraps that hold it in place have rotted in the sun, I am worried that it will get in the rotor and smash the blades up, I can't lower it yet,the ground is still too sodden for my ground anchor to hold, was hoping for a decent frost but it has been so mild here.
A few years ago, I decided to build a scaffold tower around the mast and service it that way instead of lowering it, I climbed up the tower and the whole thing was rocking about in a most alarming manner, it scared the living daylights out of me, not trying that again. facepalm

Hi Dave,

could you not just build the scaffold halfway up then snip the remaining ties with long pruning shears or even a very sharp knife tied to a pole. I don't suppose it be great at starting up or finding a breeze with its 'sail' missing but it may be better than damaged blades. A few of mine have rotted/snapped over the years, I now only use branded quality ones on the cover.

Just lowered mine in the pishing rain to find absolutely nothing wrong with it  fume

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
neanderthal

« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »

I actually saw a Proven shed its cover in real live technicolour. It was blowing half a gale in Herefordshire and I was attracted by the noise.... When the last cable tie let go the cover went the way of the wind taking one blade with it into the Wye valley. Neither cover nor blade were found and due to the owner being away the turbine ran on for a while with only two blades. I rang him up but it had stopped generating by the time he got home...
offthegridandy

« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »

Lovely (dull and cloudy) calm day and nothing achieved outside.  

I'd forgotten that we'd arrange to do interviews today for the summer staff.  Why is that when you interview people you think "cor this guys good" and give him/her a start; then after two days you start to wonder if you made the right decision?  So now we give people a test.  Ie., here's the keys for  the truck, hook up the trailer get it turned around then reverse it back into it's space.  It soon separates the "drivers" from people with a driving license.  Some of our trailers are 7 mtr long and 2.5 mtrs wide, soon sorts them out. We  get people turn up who don't want a job, they just want to tell the dole office they've been for an interview, waste of space. Sorry about the off topic rant.

Anyway hope tomorrow stays calm ( and me) and I can get on and drop the tower and turbine.

Paul, it sounds like time for the next bottle and head scratching eh.  Good luck.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2016, 07:47:10 AM »

Nout wrong with a good rant! Grin

Ditto some of the best threads wander all over the place and are much more interesting for it.

Just hoping the weather holds calm and let's you get on.

All the best fingers crossed!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2016, 09:22:43 AM »

Good luck today Andy,
                      Hopefully, like Paul,everything will be fine.
                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »

Been thinking Andy,                                                                                      (my old Mum would say, "Now we are in for it")
       The Hugh Piggott design can survive in conditions that my Chinese lump would die in,
    It can throw the heat directly out the sides unlike my Y/S which heats up like a pressure cooker,
   So perhaps all you will need is new rectifiers and a bigger heat sink.
   Hopefully you will find everything in good condition,
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »

Why is that when you interview people you think "cor this guys good" and give him/her a start; then after two days you start to wonder if you made the right decision?

I think because interviews basically come down to being good at sales. People have been so conditioned to spout the same bullpoo at every interview to HR people about being a team player capable of independent working, who is problem solving orientated and a doer not a complainer that actual skills get lost in the morass of useless rubbish.

If you're not looking for a salesperson then interviews probably aren't the best selection technique.

The best interview I've had was being given a box of disassembled stuff and being given 15 minutes to stick it all together, and shown a couple of slightly odd objects and having to work out what they were.

In the movies they have a rule about the best way to portray information which is 'show don't tell' I really think that should be applied in more aspects of life!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
offthegridandy

« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2016, 08:48:49 PM »

Hi guys. (stops and scratches head, what  is the feminine thats PC?),

Back from another season on the portabog business. The main season finished about a month ago and now we're down to 2 or 3 smallish jobs each weekend. Weathers been kind and few or no stuck in field f*** ups. Had a good crew this year who have all signed up for next year, it's all so much fun pumping pooh  down on the farm!

I have some up date on the 3 Mtr turbine disaster. I (literally, more of which later) dropped the turbine in mid March and got to the bottom of events.

The principal cause was that I'd over engineered the tail making iy too heavy to furl.  My freindly blacksmith had supplied thick walled engineering grade steel for the tail boom and I'd failed to factor in the extra weight in the total tail design.

So
1 tail failed to fully fail allowing constant over speed on alternator.
2 The rectifier failed due to over current.
3 Wt now running free and over speeding.
4 I applied turbine brake but until wind speed dropped below 45MPH the brake was ineffective but alternator coils started to overheat.

The rectifier failure was evident from its melted appearance and the stator, when the WT was down on the ground, showed clear burning of the the fibre glass resin.  Amazingly all 12 coils are still electrically sound whilst blackened and bruised.

I have since rebuilt the turbine back to it's original 2.4 Mtr design using the old stator. One of the magnet rotors had suffered some heat damage and I recast this in fresh resin as part of the rebuild.

Hope you've all had a good summer.

Cheers.

Andy.

Photos could be supplied at my usual low standard.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »

Had a great summer thanks Andy and good to hear you did too. Spent a bit of time at festivals examining toilets and concluded that the best ones I'd encountered where at Belladrum 2016

Clean, no queue and always full of bog roll :-)

" The Orb too were amazing, as were Grousbeater  Sound System, Dreadzone, Alabama 3, toilets and  some of the ‘Mothers Ruin’ DJ’s.

Probably in that order if the truth be known, I was certainly more impressed with the cleanliness of the Portaloos than the performance of The Darkness and Madness. First time I’ve ever been to a festival and looked forward to going for a ‘dump’ "

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2016/08/09/

Unlike the ones at The Wickerman a few years ago.

Just spent much of the day cleaning out the STP (sewage treatment plant) on the ship so I know where you're coming from Andy. I guess you, like me learned the hard way that A, 'you must always keep your mouth tightly shut when dealing with sewage' and B, never carry a bucket of 5h1t out of a confined space, always drag it behind you  hysteria  hysteria or am I just not very bright?

Anyway, good luck with the turnip, as Hugh Piggott says, “Don’t buy a small wind turbine to save money.  Do it for love, and enjoy the unique feeling but don’t expect an easy ride.”

Cheers, Paul
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:35:53 PM by camillitech » Logged

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:09 PM »

No queues at the festival bogs Shocked Huh , did they forget the beer tent or something?? sh*tfan

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
oliver90owner

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2016, 06:30:02 AM »

No queues at the festival bogs 

Looking at the shadows I would guess it is either early in the morning or after the crowds have departed.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: