navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 78422 times)
camillitech

« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Looks great Andy.

Will your grid tie be metered? IE will you get paid for it or is it just so that any excess gets sent to the grid when you're not using it? I've been wondering about a HP turbine but we're grid tied with our PV and I was wondering about something to add to the winter months by way of generation.

Hi Justin, Andy is 'off grid', the clue is in his name  Grin Seriously though, he'll be 'grid tying' it into his own 'mini grid', what isn't used is then backfed via his Outback inverter into his battery bank. It's called 'AC coupling' and has several advantages over regular 'DC coupling' but it also has as many disadvantages. It's really dependant on your application, one is not inherently better than the other. AC coupling tends to work better on the likes of a farm or business with outbuildings where a large 'mini grid' already exists. DC coupling is far simpler and inherently more reliable but isn't so good on large properties where the 'inputs' are hundreds of meters if not miles apart. I use a combination of both cos I have a hydro turbine 1 mile to the south of my battery bank and a broadband mast 1 mile to the north.

Advantages 
Grid tied equipment can often be had for a fraction of the cost.
You can put your inputs anywhere you have an AC outlet so no need for separate DC cabling.
Disadvantages
No inherent battery charging control so diversion must be done via separate means and it must be reliable.
More complex.
May cause issues with 'reverse power' when using a generator.
Some GTI's may 'drop out' when certain appliances are used.
If you are storing energy rather than using it then it is less efficient due to the double conversion. However, as grid tied wind turbines are much more efficient than battery charging ones then this is not readily quantifiable, at least not with my level of maths  Grin 

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2018, 06:29:26 AM »

Fantastic job Andy genuflect

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
offthegridandy

« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »

Hi all, thanks for encouraging.

Mr MF, as Paul says I'm referring to my own mini grid and his explanation is better than mine.  For an "on grid" conventional set up the home made WT hits a problem in that it's not approved for FITS or what ever the current (ha ha) scheme is.   I suspect that the best use  of a home brew WT in those circumstances is to have some battery storage as well or a definite load that can take all the WT out put like a swimming pool heater or such like. Not too sure cos it don't apply to me so I've never done any much figuring on the subject.

Gad it's hot Carruthers, I think I'm to late today for fibre glassing.

In the last piccys the funny shaped wheel with teeth cut out is a jig for positioning the magnets on to the rotor disc.  It sets the magnets so they are centered over the coil centres and 4 magnets ( 8 actually on 2 rotors )should be passing over any one phase of the stator at 1 time.

Cheers for now.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
offthegridandy

« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »

Just found this on flea bag if anyones considering a WT adventure of their own!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-Turbine-Proven-6-kw/153084793287?hash=item23a49091c7:g:-UMAAOSw7XNbOyhr

I doubt they'll get 5000 asking price as there will be very few buyers.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2018, 02:15:22 PM »

We live in the same village wackoold
There are three turbines on the hill all appear functioning.
Can't say that I have ever spotted this one.
The company selling is about 400m away.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:18:02 PM by todthedog » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »

H,mmm..
         The postage is quiet reasonable,I say.!
                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2018, 04:05:08 PM »

We live in the same village wackoold
There are three turbines on the hill all appear functioning.
Can't say that I have ever spotted this one.
The company selling is about 400m away.

Is it near the sea Tod? They blades look like they've worked hard but the photos don't suggest the site is maritime. Waaay OTT on the price too. My 6kW and 15m tower was nowhere near that price including the 3k on a new frame/springs/covers and overhaul at Stewarton by Kingspan. Not too impressed with the dump loads under the inverter and next to combustibles  either whistlie

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »

The village is about 2 miles as the crow flies.
Happy to walk over and ask if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:48:32 PM by todthedog » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »

Hey Tod, what was or is the mill chimney for?

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »

It is going well Andy,
               Your winding look really neat. We have had rain recently and somehow we are not as hot as other places which is good. I have wanted to build a H/P WT several times but when I sit down and study and then look at what we have already, I feel i would be somehow disloyal to my Yang-Shens which have proved to be very reliable as of late, even cruising through the last storm without a bother while the local power supplies were down. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction that you get from generation your own electricity, fossil fuel free.. It is a fact.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2018, 06:11:13 AM »

It is a former tin plate works now an industrial museum .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidwelly_Industrial_Museum

Castle in the background was used in Monty python and the holy grail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidwelly_Castle

Hope the eye is improving. 

offthegridandy

« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »

Got a nice early start this morning and weighed up 4 batches of resin (400g each) plus 4 batches of talc filler.  You add the filler to the resin and catalyst to give the mix some body and it helps to keep the temperature of the mix down and stops it from setting off too fast. I halved the catalyst ratio and charge up the battery in the drill driver.

No time to take piccys on the go but the process basically is.

Small mix of resin plus catalyst spread in bottom of mold
Layer of glass mat on resin  and stipple with a paint brush to ensure mat has absorbed resin.
Fit coils in place and tie up cable out of the soon to be mess.
Mix and pour 3 batches of 400g resin with 200g talc, spread over and into all the coils.
When mold is full lay on 2nd piece of pre cut and shaped glass mat.
Final 200g mix resin/catalyst but no talc.
Run a ring of bath room mastic around perimeter of mold and central island,
Go like f***k now to get the lid on the mold and fix down with screws into central island and edge of mold before stuff starts to set.

This last is to pull the mold down tight, forcing surplus resin out of the mold to get the stator as thin as possible.

With todays' weather the surplus around the mold was setting of hard after an hr tops so I removed all the screws and levered the lid off then gently removed the central island. I could feel the heat radiating from the casting. Setting a slight chamfer on the inner edges of the mold made releasing the casting a cinch far easier than previous attempts.  We live and learn.

I cleaned up the casting and found a couple of voids which I will fill with car body Isopon and finally checked the finished dimension, casting is flat and measures in at 13.5mm thick.  A previous (retired) stator I made a couple of years ago is 19mm thick so I am highly chuffed. The rotors run with an air gap of 1.5mm each side of the stator so I will get a higher flux (power) from this little baby. Another benefit of a thin casting is heat dissipation. If the alternators on full chat the coils get warm and being thinner allows more heat to get away to air.

And so some sticky piccys. Damn resin gets everywhere.

Cheers for now.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »

Nice work Andy, good to hear you're learning little tricks to make life easier, really satisfying that hey.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2018, 05:56:18 AM »

Terrific Andy.

mr_magicfingers

« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »

Thanks to Paul and Andy for the details of how the off-grid grid tie works. Interesting reading, I'll be reading it a few time to get it straight in my head.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: