navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 55315 times)
camillitech

« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »

Thanks to Paul and Andy for the details of how the off-grid grid tie works. Interesting reading, I'll be reading it a few time to get it straight in my head.

Hi MMF,

if you're really serious then here's some 'light' reading :-) http://www.studer-innotec.com/media/document/0/partial_ac_coupling_in_minigrids.pdf

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »

Slooow oh so slow progress as i'm waiting for other people to "do their thing".  But yesterday I had a delivery of 24mm galvanised stud and boxes of nuts and washers for bolting down the tower to the base plate.  Have to recommend the supplier, they may be useful to some one.  Company is called Orbital Fasteners" and they do nuts and bolts big time.  Any size and style right down to 0BA size, they even have wing nuts in stock.  Along with the delivery was a paper catalogue about an inch thick, that's some bedtime reading! https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/

Today I have a man coming with a digger, been waiting 2 months.  Where the new tower is going to sit, at present there is a large 22,000 litre, fibre glass waste tank.  My man is coming to level of a new bed for the tank to sit on and move the tank on to it.  Then I can get the shuttering made up for the tower base.

Watch this space.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
camillitech

« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »

Now this sounds like my kind of project, diggers, big holes, concrete  genuflect make sure we get pictures Andy.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »

Ah,Ha,,
     Sounds like my kind of project as well. Lots of digging,.  Big holes, loads of concrete.but no digger or tower,. Sounds exciting,,, pickies please Andy,
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »

So digger man turnd up and soon got to work.  The new site for the tank is on a slope in a little copse of trees so having discussed best access point i got the fence down, I blew on it, then i left my man to it.  I'd previously removed the xmas trees and sold last winter so the upslope was cut and shifted down to make a terrace.  As soon as you get within a foot of the bed rock you start bringing up slatey stone so by the time ity's rolled in with the sub soil it makes a compact base.

We couldn't get the tank moved as it's still got a small load of waste to be removed, due to be done last week,hm. Not our firm I should point out.  But a start has been made should get it finished in a few days, so no concrete pics yet.

But I have been busy today designing a hub to fit the new blades to the new turbine.  Hughs design basically sandwiches the wooden blades between two disc of plywood, which then attach to the main hub studs.  The blades i ebayed recently are shaped with a twist at the root, that means they won't sit flat onto the back of the rotor disc and an adapter plate is required.  I've been pondering this for a couple of weeks and today I made up a 10mm plywood template to test.

I plan on 2 discs.  The first will have 5 holes in the centre to fit the main hub studs plus 3 arms fitted with 16mm stud to fit the holes provided in the fibreglass blades. A second similar disc will fit on the front and be tightened down to clamp the blades in place.  Each arm will have a 50mm flange upright along the leading edge to further support the twisting effect on the blade.  I haven't decided on the finished thickness of these yet, at least 10mm though.

So piccys of blade and template with dimensions appended.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #305 on: July 25, 2018, 06:04:15 AM »

Great Andy. Looking forward to the pics. Grin
offthegridandy

« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »

It's seemed at times lately that I've not been making much progress, waiting on things outside my control; but this week a couple of things have come together and finally there is some progress to show.

Finally got  the last of the waste from the tank so end of week digger man should be back!

I have had a couple of chats with Hugh and Biff about the fibre glass blades.  Having to make the three legged plates to mount the blades on resulted in the total diameter increasing to 5 mtrs from 4.2, and I've already made the coil stator. Could easily overpower the coils if the furling tail isn't set  right.  Hugh gave some suggestions on lengthening the tail and upping the weight.  Plus he suggested increasing the alternators off set from the central pivot point (yaw tube) .  In the end I decided to shorten the blades to keep the whole thing close to Hughs original design. Sure adjustments can be made once the turnip is up and running but I really just want a quiet life. ? And he's building another turbine!!

So here Biff is how I did it, I removed the blade tips and cut around 250mm from each and discovered the fibre glass as suspected was foam filled.  I "created" a blade tip from a block of polystyrene about 150X50X75.  I offered the foam up to the cut end of blade and marked the outline onto the foam then roughly cut of the waste.  To finish I simply held the foam back in place and sanded to profile.  Then selotaped in place to allow to shape and sand in other 2 planes.

The plan being to cast a shaped resin blade tip in situ to the blade.  I used some 6mm allthread set in resin 75mm down into the foam in the blade. The 2 rods are splayed to create a dovetail effect. 35mm ofr rod projecting ointo the resin tip.  I made 2 hinged mould boxes and took a resin mould from the foam tip inside the boxes.  The boxes are missing 1 side to allow a blade to be inserted and the casting to take place.  For extra strength I did a wrap around joint with a layer of glass mat.

To fill the mould I made a hole to add resin at the highest point of the mould.

So I'e now done all three and after some final sanding and filling I weighed them up al three come in at 9.2 Kg +/- 35 grams.

As the blades have been around in store for some years I decided to give them a finishing coat of coloured resin topcoat, which is similar to the gel coat finish and durable.

I've also just about finished the 10mm steel plate blade mounting .  5 central holes to fit on the main hub studs  then 4 X 16mm holes per leg for the blade bolts. I got the stud on Friday and was able to actual part assemble and confirm the holes are all in the correct position.  I measured and mad the jig and a then I had the holes made for me by a friend with professional work shop.

Then to cap it all everything came back from the Galvanisers on Saturday .  Which means I've now got the rotor discs back and can fix the magnets.  Plus with the tank moved the foundation for the tower can progress as I wanted the root section and hinge plate to not need painting  so they've all been galvanised as well.

I'm like a dog with 2 tails. Would have been nice to have got on with the job in the summer but hey winters are just as much fun for building jobs.

So, onwards and upwards.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2018, 08:46:37 PM »

Lovely work Andy,
                  Those ends caps look good, You will be glad you shortened the blades,  There will be all the power you want.,
      Well done. I am looking forward to seeing it in action,
                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
rogeriko

« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

Beautiful job, Don't forget when you bolt the blades to the hub check the distance between the centreline of the tips of the blades and get them all equal. Makes balancing a breeze then.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »

Fantastic Andy.
offthegridandy

« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

Thanks Roger that's a good tip,.

More news shortly I hope.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
offthegridandy

« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »

So here we are with another couple of weeks gone.

Sadly still waiting for digger man; I'm going to have to find a back up as Digger Man has had a heart attack sadly and won't be on my door step any time soon. He's 10 years younger than me too.

Progress on other fronts though.

I've got the blade set assembled and nigh on balanced with a little bit more work to do.  I need a calm dry day to finish the job.

The two magnet rotors have been completed.  I had a box of 32 super strong magnets and they are frighteningly strong.  To separate a mag from the stack you must slide the 1st mag off sideways and move it away from the magnetic field before it snaps back into place with your finger in between.  16 per rotor positioned in place with a jig and glued on with super glue so very little time to make any adjustment.  Each magnet around the perimeter of the disc is alternate North then South.  The second disc has to be "opposite" so when assembled the N faces the S mag on the two rotors.

With all the mags in place the rotor is fitted in a mould then the magnets are encapsulated in a resin mix to protect them from the elements and keep the magnets securely in place.

I've also got the tail vane made.  It looks massive on the ground here being a piece of 9mm ply 2mtrs X 900mm.  The faces have been painted with fibre glass top coat.  But to give extra weather proofing to the cut plywood edges I've attached some plastic channeling glued on with "sticks like sh**t",  I'll finish of with a final layer of top coat across the lot.   I want to avoid doing minor repairs in a couple of years If I can build to a high quality now.

I've got a piece of steel tube for the tail boom which fits nicely onto the support tube frame for the tail vane.This means that the 2 tube are effectivley telescopic.  Because the blades are a bit over size I've drilled a series of holes through both tubes so If I need to adjust the furling rate of the turbine it will be very easy to lengthen the tail boom and refit the securing bolts.

Cream on the cake I've got a tree surgeon coming to drop a tree that's directly in the prevailing wind path, digger man was supposed to remove it.

So next up is to go and find an alternative contractor for not too many pennies and get the ground works moving again.

Next on my to do list is to weld up the alternator frame and get the hub mounted and assembled.

Cheers for now.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »

Brilliant idea on the adjustable furling , Andy.
                             The prop looks very powerful genuflect, I know to look at that baby that there  a load of poke there.
  Wait until after 12 noon on Wednesday before you fly it.
             Good Luck,
                       Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »

Hi Biff and thanks.  At the rate I'm progressing on this project, weds before Christmas is more likely, but hey hoh on we go.

Rest of this week has already gone as SWMBO has stated that now the bog season is over WE are having a mini break; now.  To be fair She has been carrying out half my duties this year as well as running the office admin side.  So she who pays the piper calls the tune eh.

Cheers.

Anndy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »

Is the new turbine going to be AC coupled? Sounds interesting if so!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: