navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 72731 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #315 on: September 24, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »

Aye FFF this machine is to be AC coupled.  All my main inverter gear is in the power house next to the house.

I plan to put the Aurora GTI, interface, meter etc in my shed which is next to the genny house and far closer to the WT site.

The genny has armoured cable all the way back to the power house. I'm toying with the idea of using it for my WT connection to my grid.  I'm considering fitting an automatic change over switch, so if the genny is required and start signal is sent, it disconnects the WT and allows the genny to take over. This would avoid problems of the GTI trying to synchronize with the genny output which as you know can vary.  I would have to divert the WT to a dump load but figure if the gennys needed then there probably isn't any wind!

I finished balancing the blades today, lovely sunshine and calm, like a summers day.  Also got a final coat of paint on the tail vane so I'll be starting on it's boom next and then it's the alternator frame.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
fourfootfarm

« Reply #316 on: September 24, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »

Sounds good! If the cable is lying there dormant most the time its a epitome of a 'sunk cost' isn't it?

I will keep a look out for a wind suitable GTI even if it just ends up taking up space in the empire of dirt. Really need to try my grid tie inverter again and see if I can get it to couple to mighty powerjack.

Cheers

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
offthegridandy

« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

Forgot to take the camera down to the shed so no piccys today but I'll do some the morrow.

Good day today,  I got a man and machine here this morning.  Big caterpillar jobby with massive arm. He got my old waste storage tank up in the air and was off down the field with it.  1 hr tops and the tank was in it's new position and I can finally start on ground works.  There's a chance  I can get a mini digger on loan one day next week so I hope this fine weather lasts a bit longer.

I'll get down to my friendly blacksmith tomorrow and arrange for collection of the foundation root which is done and back from the galvanisers.  I'll have to look on fleabag for some out of date Hilti resin to get the root section fixed in. Then I'll finally get to use the Hilti gun you sent me Paul, cheers.

I've been in touch with Hugh and he's of the opinion that the finished WT should have an output in the 2-3 Kw range, I'd figured 1800w peak.  However he also reccomends extending the tail length for safe furling.

( slight break, I just had a bat land on my shoulder and he seemed determined to stay.  I  removed my jumper at which point he took flight  and with a bit of guidance I got him outside through a window.)

Meanwhile I had today, done a beautiful job shaping the end of 49mm tube to joint to some 89mm tube at a 20' angle. Cut a lovely snug profile ready for welding.  Popped in for afternoon tea and an email from Hugh suggesting tail length extends to 2.6mt. The max I can get from my telescopic set up is 2.2, so tomorrow it's out to get some more tube and as suggested bump up the size to 60mm dia.  I'm sure I'll find a use for this piece of tube someday.

Really feel I'm making progress at last.

Piccys to follow.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #318 on: September 26, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »

Sounds like good progress Andy, sure you cannae get the business to stand a digger  whistlie, perfect for lifting bogs  Grin and you'll find a gazillion and one other uses for it. My back has improved ten fold since I bought 'Calum the Kubota' a couple of years ago. Haven't had any Tramadol for months  bike Just been doing a spot of resin anchoring meself too, boodly marvellous that HIT RE 500  genuflect that'll be three wind turbines I've glued to Scotland with it since 2005 and no sign of any drama yet.

Good luck and keep us posted, P

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #319 on: September 27, 2018, 06:20:57 AM »

Great news Andy, enjoying reading of your progress and looking forward to the latest pics.
Tod

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Fionn

« Reply #320 on: September 27, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »

Sounds good! If the cable is lying there dormant most the time its a epitome of a 'sunk cost' isn't it?

I will keep a look out for a wind suitable GTI even if it just ends up taking up space in the empire of dirt. Really need to try my grid tie inverter again and see if I can get it to couple to mighty powerjack.

Cheers
Shouldn't be any issue if it's a relatively new PowerJack, older ones might need an inductor on the battery DC cables.
The one I have coupled to my Fronius inverters straight out of the box no issues.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
offthegridandy

« Reply #321 on: September 27, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

Hi Paul.

The business bought a fork lift this year and it isn't set up for off roading. 

Having a digger sat by just for the odd occasion seems a waste to me and if a machine isn't being used regularly sods law says it won't start when you actually need it!

Suns shining again today whoopee. 9 am and battery volts are 26.2 and rising.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #322 on: September 27, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »

Good Luck Andy,
               I know the feeling , "a bit of excitement" does not come near it.
    You will be hooked on Amps, Volts and Watts. In the early days,I was seriously disturbed. i would be up at 4/5 am during a storm watching the clocks and working out what i was "supposed" to be getting.
 My eldest girl who was on hols here one time with her sons, said that I was regressing to my childhood. Years ago,I used to keep twin overhead cam 2ltr Toyota Cs, before that really fast Mazdas, before that,131 Mirafiori twin(very very good) Even a safe sedate 3.8 jag like Morse.but nothing gave "Big bang per buck" like the Y/S 2kw with the big blades in a force 9.
  It was always pulling out to overtake wheither i liked it or not. sh*tfan Grin
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #323 on: September 27, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »

Cheers
Shouldn't be any issue if it's a relatively new PowerJack, older ones might need an inductor on the battery DC cables.
The one I have coupled to my Fronius inverters straight out of the box no issues.

Hi Fionn, I tried before with no joy, but realised it was probably because I'd not earthed it. Ooops! Also with a Fronius. My 'old' one had an inductor on but I've not had this larger one apart yet to check. I've got some appropriately sized bits of EE ferrite floating around though so no harm in trying. Other than the harm of exposing the magic smoke I guess!

2kw is a mighty machine!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
offthegridandy

« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2018, 08:47:05 PM »

Popped out and got 2 mtr of 60mm tube this morning so I set about making an extended boom.  It will still  have the tail on a telescopic tube should adjustment be needed. Hugh suggest 2.6mtr and I should be able to extend out to 3 mtr in increments.

So I profiled the new 60mm to meet the pivot at a 20' angle and shaped the end.  Then made up a couple of 10mm fillets to further support the boom.

I decided that at some point in the future the tail pivot and yaw bearing would need relubricating so I drilled and tapped some 6mm hole in each tube and added in a couple of grease nipples.

And here should be piccys.

Or no piccys.

I'll try again

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2018, 05:56:57 PM »

So I got a truck from the yard this morning and collected the SSS ( serious sections of steel) from the black smiths all bright and shiny galvanised and no painting.

The large round section (root) sits in the ground.   The rebar spikes will be fitted down into the bedrock in prep'd holes filled with Hilti resin.  The square hinge plate is connected and leveled with studs down into the top of the root section.  The rebar  mesh is for use in the concrete plinth that with be cast around the root using shuttering. A circular pad 2mtr dia. by 600 deep from memory.

I'll finish painting the tail boom next then hope the weather stays fair and concrete can be poured shortly, by someone else.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »

Nice work Andy,

galvanised mesh? I love it  genuflect

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #328 on: September 29, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »

Hi Paul, and thanks.  Hutchinson's the tower maker recommend galv rebar mesh and I figured if everything else is going in the tank bung it in too.  I've not had the bill yet mind. As I've said before this is a Nae Messin job I really don't want to spend my "retirement" worrying that something I built isn't up to the job.   The concrete plinth is in a wet area so can't do any harm.

Just frozen 2 kilos of sweet peppers from the poly tunnel so not a bad day.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #329 on: September 29, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »

That lot's far too nice to bury in the ground! Grin

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: