navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 70856 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2018, 05:59:07 PM »

Got the alternator frame, yaw and tail bearings all finished today having added on the upper and lower tail stops and a "cap" piece which ensures that the tail boom can't lift off in squally winds. Apparently this has been known to happen, I think Clockman had the experience once and modified his turbine.

Finished up getting 1st coat of red oxide paint on.

Low end stop.

High end stop.

H. E stop keeps tail parallel with blades when fully furled.

Low end stop.

No pictures of paint drying.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
offthegridandy

« Reply #361 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »

So I have pretty well finished the actual turbine build now having spent time the last few days fettling things.   I  have drilled a couple of weep holes in the lower end of the tailboom so any rain ingress has somewhere to get out again rather than adding to the weight of the tail.

I had previously fitted a 28mm tank boss to the top of the yaw tube for cable access.  I came a cross a nice cable clamp which, with a bit of filing fits snuggly in the tank boss so a nice solution to How to secure the cables at the top of the tower?

I'm using a 16 amp round pin plug and socket connector for the cable junction on the alternator frame.  I'll add a safety clip to ensure the 2 can't separate in a gale.

I've got a couple of coats of gloss paint on everything including the tower top section which I'm using as a work support at present.

Next up is to fit the base/hinge plate to the concrete plinth; which has been a bit of a head scratcher to calculate the stud length.  If the base studs are too long the hinged tower, base plate will hit the studs as the tower becomes upright.  I finally drew up to scale the complete action of the turning moment to plot the position of the holes in the plate assembly. 180mm OAL required.  Confusion was caused because, when I collected the tower I cut off the old studs for reference.  Trouble was the stud I was refering to was the 1 from the winch point which was  some 70mm longer.  It took a day before SWMBO said there a bag full of those studs in the shed, which on inspection, 12 off all 150mm long having lost 30mm on being cut off.   So studs to cut and fit and then start looking at getting the 12 mtr tower into place and getting wired up.

Cable clamp.

Alternator frame and connector plug

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »

Really neat bit of work Andy,
                    You are almost over the line and soon the amps will be pouring in where they are needed. This is ideal W/T weather. Not a lot of sunlight and quite breezy. Our own baby sailed through most of these recent storms and by gum we must have had a dozen since Conor.
 Outside projects call for good dry boots and well insulated jackets. My own little 12v charger project bumps along a few hours each week. the shed of dreams is dank and chilly and I will not light a fire in there freeze.
 I must give an update on my 12v on it.. Keep up the good work.
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »

Cheers Biff,

Nigh on 2 years ago I did a road trip to Cornwall to collect a 12 mtr monopole tower. Since fetching it back, it's been laid up in our yard about 10 miles away.  Today with the 2 sections fork lifted on to the 26 ft tri axle trailer, I shifted the tower back home so I can start rigging it up.  Due to lack of turning circle here I elected to reverse the last 1/2 mile up our track so as to be convenient for unloading.

The 2  sections are now here and on the deck having been unloaded with a trolley jack and a 3 mtr pole and some baulks of timber.  And patience.  I'll have to get a machine in to lift them together and into place on the hinge plate.

The turbine itself is now complete and well painted so on-wards.

From memory Ha ha, the top section is about 250 Kg and the lower is 470 Kg so not to be dropped on the toes.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

Cold sunny morning and no wind.  I've got a mini digger coming for the weekend.  With it I'll be able to sling the 2 mast sections up together and then move the complete tower into place on it's concrete plinth ready for winching upright.

So today's job was to finish the base plate.

The top round plate of the root which is concreted in has 12 X 25mm holes ready to accept the studs.  I have calculated the finished length and cut the studs, The 24mm dia studs are galvanised but where I've cut them there is bare steel, so after being cut I dipped the ends in red lead paint to protect the bare steel so I don't have to paint them later on.

2 X 24mm Nuts locked together on the stud to the underside of the root ring, then a washer and thin nut to secure the stud from above. I didn't tighten the top nuts until I got the hinge plate in position on all 12 studs to allow a little wriggle room.  Then locktight on the threads and full muscle and body weight on to the spanner with extension bar as well.

Finally lower hinge plate into position, plate is 20mm steel and weighs about 20Kg.  Then check all is level and then washer and 1 full and 1 half nut on from above again full body weight on 2 ft long spanner. Can't get the socket and torque wrench on due to the length of the stud.

Final check with the level shows all good and ready to go.

This is the hinge plate on the tower base, the hinge pin is 35mm stainless.  The hole in the base plate is about 38mm so it gives a bit of wriggle room when the tower comes down onto the studs, I hope.

Still plenty to do yet but progress is being made.

Hope the weather is as kind when I start on with the digger.

Cheers.

Andy

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:56:46 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »

Nice work Andy,

Just make sure the studs are the right length, it is quite crucial, too long and the threads will get damaged when it tilts, too short and you will no be able to ‘double nut’ them. Though to be honest I would rather they were too short and Loctided than feck the threads. A die grinder is a really useful tool for doing this job  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »

Hi Paul.  I got so concerned about the stud length that in the end I did a scale drawing of the set up and drew in the track of the oval holes in the tower base as the hinge rotates. Then I knocked off 5mm for tolerance and also slightly profiled the ends of the suds.  A few more days and I'll find out if I done it alright.  As you say, worse case I can trim them with a grinder if needed but I'd rather be right from the off.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »

Great stuff Andy,

I have all the interface stuff sat in front of me here but can't find an envelope at home. Will get it posted out tomorrow at work.

Cheers, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »

You are doing good Andy,
                       Getting the base of the tower to swing back on to the bolts was tricky enough for even Paul but your idea of doing a scale model run is an excellent one, However, like Paul says, it would be good to have the grinder on hand and two handy pinch bars. Grin.
  There is snow forecast and might be a good idea to cover as much the base area as possible to keep it clear of the snow and the frost.I have been keenly watching your progress on my phone and at same time running about the country like a headless chicken, Its that time of year. If it was exciting for me and my 30 ft tower + 8 guy wires, it must be breathtaking for you and the Stand alone tower.
   Take care,
                 Biff.
   You may not believe this Andy, but the last time I sent Our Turbine up, I forgot I had tied the blades to the tail. So I,m in the upstairs lounge looking out the gable window at the Turbine down the garden, one hand on hip and a cuppa in the other,when Mrs Biff said,, "It,s hardly going to do much like that," .  No kidding. I waited for a couple of hours and then lowered it as quietly as possible , removed the dog lead and sent the lot back up again. There are some things best left unexplained. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #369 on: November 23, 2018, 05:17:46 AM »

Aye chaps,

a die grinder is money well invested,

lets you get into all those places a regular one will not fit.

£85 well spent  genuflect

Tinbum

« Reply #370 on: November 23, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »

Aye chaps,
a die grinder is money well invested,
lets you get into all those places a regular one will not fit.
£85 well spent  genuflect

Yes, +1

The only thing I could find to remove the spot welds from a Land Rover Salisbury axle diff casting so I could remove the axle tubes- still took hours though!!

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
offthegridandy

« Reply #371 on: November 24, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »

Assembling and mounting the tower. Well the big day arrived grey and missling but the jobs got to be done. So out and on with it.

First up the 2 sections have to be bolted together.  Straight forward enough, sling the narrower top section of the digger bucket, lower into place and fit bolts.  Easy peasy and after an hour (working single handed) I'm torquing up the 16 off M24 bolts.

Now  puzzling out how to get the tower onto it's base has given me a lot of thinking.  The ground where the concrete foundation is, is 2 mtrs lower than the ground on which the tower lies. The heavy base end has to be pushed of the "cliff edge" and lowered slowly down to arrive with the hinges in place on the base plate.

I slung 2 wires from the high point, through the tower base plate bolt holes, then down and past the foundation. These should guide the tower base down to the correct location. And basically it worked.  I had another pair of hands this PM (SWMBO) I attached the digger bucket to the top end of the tower and slowly pushed the tower away and off over the edge.  The runway wires held and apart from developing a roll as the weight of the gin pole twisted the tower; it arrived in the right place, but off centre. A ratchet strap was employed to ease the tower base into final alignment. Then in with the hinge pin. It actually took all afternoon and I'm dead chuffed it worked to plan and am downing my 2nd pint of home brew..  

So finally it's in place, As the tower lies down on to the cliff edge, when in its lowered position, the tower top will be around 2mtrs of the ground, securely propped and easy to work on. I've got the digger till monday so I'll see what jobs I can get done with it in the morning.

2 parts of tower bolted together

Tethering guide wires

Guide wires through the base plate holes.

The eagle has landed.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:51:38 PM by offthegridandy » Logged

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
camillitech

« Reply #372 on: November 24, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »

Nice solution to a tricky problem Andy. I had the luxury of level ground and easy access with my 15m tower. I would have been pure stumped with my 11m one had I not had a telehandler on loan. Good work  genuflect

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #373 on: November 24, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »

We are looking forward to seeing it up Andy,
                                   I hope you get a nice gentle breeze to start you off. There are severe gales forecast for 6am Wednesday.
  We are in for a right old shot of wind ourselves but it don,t last too long this time.
                                                                             Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #374 on: November 25, 2018, 07:38:41 PM »

Hi Biff, I've got a few more steps before the turnip will be up and running.  So not worrying about next weeks wind yet.

Got to install the GT Inverter and windsave controller as well as cable across to the base from the nearest shed. Waiting on a delivery of tri rated cable to come down the tower from the  turnip to the buried armoured cable.

A  couple of weeks at my rate.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 31   Go Up