navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 82408 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #465 on: November 23, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »

Hi Andy,
    I am glad everything worked out good. It sounds like you have been through the mill but it is great to hear you are up and running again,
  I use a red graphite grease, it stays solid to a much higher temperature but a few days of none stop force 8 and 9s still sends id streaking along the side of the lump,
   The brake pipe sounds the job but a small camera eye up there would take the guessing out of it especially if you had a point where the grease could escape and you could see it and stop pumping needlessly,  I have to confess, That each time I have greased our Turbine, (right angle Knipples   freeze ) I always finished up knowing that I over done it.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #466 on: November 23, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »

Andy sorry to hear about the rough time you have been through, glad to hear you are on the up again. I used high temperature grease and ended up wearing as much as I put in.

Kidwelly South Wales
offthegridandy

« Reply #467 on: November 23, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »

Cheers guys.  These autogreasers look interesting.  I could fit one directly above the yaw bearing so grease could spread directly down into the correct space. I could easily drill and tap 1/4 BSP hole in the top of the yaw bearing

Does anyone know how weather proof the actual fitting is.  Used as I describe above it would have to be able to take all the weather that came along ,unless i fitted it into a tin can  or summat.

Also does anyone know how slowly the grease  can be set to discharge.  Could the container last in excess of a year?  I'll get in touch with the manufacturers on Monday but any direct experience welcomed.

Here's the new improved tail boom. Black painted is the new stuff.

Cheers.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
TT

« Reply #468 on: November 23, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »

I'm sure we got a year out of them, used to use them in sewerage works, to grease the equipment that aerate the effluent .

Offshore I on saw them in the mechy workshops.
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »

Just wanted to say I'm so glad things worked out ok in the end for you regarding the cancer and that you're now all clear. Must have been a really tough summer but here's to many more in the clear.

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
offthegridandy

« Reply #470 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »

Thank you Mr M.  Hope you and yours are flourishing.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #471 on: November 26, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »

I'm still thinking over the auto greaser.  I'm minded that if I fit a grease source at the foot of the tower with a pipe all the way to the top and the yaw bearing I won't need to worry about the grease supply.  I can always refill it at ground level.  I have lots of 10mm copper pipe so I think I may carry out a test and see if a modified grease gun has enough umph to send grease up 12 mtrs of Cu pipe.  If so I can fit the greaser at tower bottom and use up stuff I've got knocking about.

I've now got the complete alternator frame in bits with rotors and stator put carefully away. I've cut, modified and re welded the tail bearing tube to reduce it to a 15' angle.  This should make the furling action a bit easier.

Next up is to grease and adjust the hub bearing.  The centre nut is over 1.5 inches so I've got to search out a mega socket. It would be nice if the hub could be auto greased but I don't think I want to get involved in that at present.  I do wonder if the Peugot boxer wheel bearing is really big enough for the 4.5 mtr dia blade set up.  I might give some thought to what would be bigger. Perhaps an Iveco 7 tonner wheel  truck or summat.  For next year probably I think. For now a fresh coat of paint, then start to rebuild the alternator.

Whilst investigating fitting the 10mm copper tube inside the tower top tube I managed to let the 3 power cables drop down inside. So now I'll have to go fishing or feed 13 mtr of stiff wire down inside and pull them through again. Wot me a wally?No.

Cheers for now.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #472 on: November 26, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »

Hi Andy
       I was always worried about the 3phase cable dropping down inside the tower, so I got a 450mm length of that flat plastic band that they use for binding concrete buildings blocks and roofing tiles taped it on to the cable, then hung the cable on that bit of plastic banding and trapped the upper end between the flange on the alt and the matching g flange on top of the tower. The idea was to prevent the weight of the heavy cable from pulling the wires out of the brush and slip ring set.it works very well.  I leave about 6inches of flat plastic band sticking out so I will always be able to get a grip on it before lifting off the lump.
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #473 on: November 26, 2019, 10:52:53 PM »

grease guns put out loads of pressure... I just googled to get a number for you and it said 15,000psi.... so 12m of pipe won't make any difference!

I piped up some remote grease nipples on machines at work... tricky and a bit bendy to get to so I used some nigh pressure nylon hose.... worked great for about a year.... problem is I didn't grease them enough so something somewhere blocked up (bearings are in a very dirty messy wet spot) so next time I tired to grease them the nylon hoses burst :-(
pantsmachine

« Reply #474 on: November 27, 2019, 08:16:00 AM »

Cheers guys.  These autogreasers look interesting.  I could fit one directly above the yaw bearing so grease could spread directly down into the correct space. I could easily drill and tap 1/4 BSP hole in the top of the yaw bearing

Does anyone know how weather proof the actual fitting is.  Used as I describe above it would have to be able to take all the weather that came along ,unless i fitted it into a tin can  or summat.

Also does anyone know how slowly the grease  can be set to discharge.  Could the container last in excess of a year?  I'll get in touch with the manufacturers on Monday but any direct experience welcomed.

Here's the new improved tail boom. Black painted is the new stuff.

Cheers.

Andy

Hey Andy, they can be set to discharge at different rates as it's a spring that you compress by twisting the head of the cart. We check them every few months and they do last year's in our application. Slow rpm and good seals. Well worth a try.

You are doing good work there, nice one!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:18:47 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
Tigger

« Reply #475 on: November 27, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »

Hi Andy,

Just caught up on this thread and read about your amazing surgery, so good to see that all is well, it certainly puts a few things into perspective......

Keep up the good work Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #476 on: November 28, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »

Good Morning Andy,

A 10 metre roll of 10 mm copper + another 2 metres will cost you about 26 . 12 metres of 10mm copper tube will need filling with 700 cc of grease = 10. Total 36-ish

2 off 25 foot rolls of 3/16" copper brake pipe (with 10 male and 10 female fittings included in the box) will cost you 24. 150 cc of grease =2.   Total 26-ish

700cc of grease will take hours to prime with a grease-gun, 150cc a lot less. A spring-loaded greaser will do it all by itself once the pot is filled; a manual stern-tube greaser wil not take very long to prime.

Just ideas to ponder...

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
offthegridandy

« Reply #477 on: November 28, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  I already have 10mm cu pipe in the store;  so I cut off 13 mtr to make a rigid pipe to poke down inside the tower.  This enabled me to catch the 3  core flex that had dropped down inside.  It also gives me 13mtr to test with my existing grease gun. Nickel I'd done the same calculation for 10mm tube and arrived at circa 800ml of grease.

I picked up some 10 mm compression fittings today and plan to do a trial to see how easy it actually is to pump the grease up 13 mtrs of 10mm Cu pipe. I'll need to tap a thread to fit the pipe to the grease gun . If it's somewhere near dry tomorrow I'll get outside and do a trial and let  you know how I get on.

I borrowed a 41mm socket today so I can check the torque setting on the main hub bearing which I must do first so I can return the borrow.  I was taught many years ago that you never lend tools "  you give them away".  Jeff the black smith lent me the socket  and I must  get that back to him with in 24 hrs so I can keep my  promise.

If the hydraulic test works OK I'll get the tube installed and hopefully get the WT back up over the weekend. We've  had the geeny run 3 times in the last 8 days and I want to put a stop to that ASAP.

see you.

Andy.

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »

I made the changes to the tail bearing . By cutting a thin V out of the tailbearing support fram and then applying a bit of grunt I've managed to cut the tail angle from 20 degrees to 15 which shouldmale the action on the tail a bit prompter. Got it all welded up.  First time on the welder since my face op I wrappped foam padding around the face mask head band as the scar tissue is a bit sore still.

Here's the original frame before modification.

This is after cutting and bending before welding up the join.

Now I've welded the join I'll probably reinforce it with a plate welded on top.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
offthegridandy

« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »

So I decided to stick with the DIY route on the yaw bearing greaser having tested the grease gun at the weekend on some 10mm tube.  I had no problem sending grease up about 5 mtrs of old tube on a test rig so figure I should be able to pump grease all the way to the top of the tower.

The plan is to run 10mm copper tube outside the tower from the bottom up to a point just below the yaw bearing,  Then take the copper inside the top tower tube and then come back out through the top tube near the top and terminate there, so grease will be squeezed out inside the yaw tube. At the base of the tower there is a cabinet where I will permanently fit a grease gun so once a month or so I can give it a little squirt.

The 10mm Cu tube will be strapped to the outside of the tower with some galvanised builders band made up into giant Jubilee clips.

I made up the first 600mm long section that fits inside the tower top tube today and got it fitted into some 15mm dia holes .  Then got the pipe  roughly in place this afternoon and the first jubilee clip made and installed.

To ensure that the 3 power cables don't  get caught up in the internal greaser tube I will put the first meter of drop inside some 25mm flexible hose so the twisting will take place below the greaser pipe.

I'll need to make up about half a dozen of these clips tomorrow and then fit the grease gun into the cabinet. Hope it warms up a bit so I can get some paint onto the newly modified tailboom and alternator frame.  Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to get her winched up and back in service.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up
  Print