navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generating power from indoor bike trainer?  (Read 6494 times)
dan_b

SW London

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »

So my bike seat post went "technical" today - one of the two retaining bolts that secure the saddle somehow had worked itself loose and ejected itself whilst out on a ride.  Had to cycle about 2 miles home without sitting on the saddle! 

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery

Tesla Model 3 Long Range
charlieb

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »

Glad to hear you get out and about in training as well Dan.  I'd rather dissipate the heat (and sweat) outdoors than in and see the seasons changing. (I did a big ride last last year - ~8,000km, 4 months.  Rough and ready I reckon I must have put about 80kWh into the pedals (guestimate 8 hrs a day, 100 days, 100W average when on bike).  About 20 worth of FITS!   And hardly a carbon saving compared to flying direct to the wedding in India, as I had to fly two short hops in the end.)

Firefly do an off-the-shelf version of what you're talking about.  Educational tool, for festivals etc. V expensive I imagine.   http://www.fireflycleanenergy.co.uk/?product=bike    I've seen a few bodged up ones at festivals too, for charging mobiles, so must be doable. 

PS I had the same problem once when my Brookes saddle got nicked on a night out in London.  4am ride with no seat post (they nicked the post too).  I went via my old office where I had a spare bike in the basement.  Silver linings, as from then on all the security guards in the building (>1000 office workers) knew my name and said hello.  They'd been giggling away at my drunken efforts to find the right swipe card for the bike store. 
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »

I am out on my bike every day, it's good fat-burning exercise without the percussion of running. (Knackered knees/hips/ankles). Round my way we have lots of designated cycle-paths that I use regularly. It still amazes me the number of riders who still use the road next to the paths, then shout at drivers that pass too close, while the cycle-path stays empty!
On a lighter note, this appeared a couple of years ago:

It still makes me chuckle.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 05:11:14 PM »

2 collies 1 bike 250 kms of flat canal towpath once the weather gets warmer it's lovely. Now only for the toughies of which I am not one. facepalm

Kidwelly South Wales
Scruff

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »

This is on my to-do list.
Down the road when the kids leave lights on they're not using they'll be pedalling off the deficit.  bike

I've seen other versions the rear bicycle wheel hangs off the alternator pulley via the belt so the rider sets the belt tension.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 03:39:51 AM by Scruff » Logged
going green

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »

will have to show this to my son how to convert power if you want your X Box on  hysteria hysteria
Scruff

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »

It's the perfect marriage. Xbox is a native 12VDC.  ralph

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »

I think one of our members,
                           Had such a combinations up and running in his conservatory, About 5 years or so ago. I think he was quite pleased with it.
   I would rather spent the money for all the bits and bobs on a solar pv panel perhaps 2 x 50watt jobbies and get my exercise running back and forth checking the amps and volts. Nothing quite beats the charge from the pv. It is a good idea all the same but it needs to be designed as a rolling rack where you set your ordinary bike on it,with the rear wheel over the drive rollers, It would take up less room this way + you could put your bike away out of the road when finished. You would also have the normal choice of gears  and you would use the exact same muscles as you would use on the road.
                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »

I still laugh at some uses for the bicycle. Mods, please remove if unsuitable:-

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Scruff

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »

Plug and play.
Here ya go.
Belt driven;
http://pedalpowergenerator.com/shop-pedal-power/belt-drive-bicycle-generator-systems/
Roller driven;
http://pedalpowergenerator.com/shop-pedal-power/roller-style-bicycle-generator/

$400 for a regulator.  whistlie

I've just got me a 2.1kW alternator for 25 with a built in regulator, although a new one is only 10.
Belt driven is between 8% & 18% more efficient than friction (roller) driven.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:37:11 PM by Scruff » Logged
Fionn

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »

If anyone is actually interested in doing this, the most efficient and cheapest way to go about it would be to mount a wheel hub motor on a bike and connect the phase wires to a bridge rectifier. You can then connect the output to a battery bank of your choice.
The only downside is that the rear of the bike needs to be supported somehow.
No pulleys, gears or rollers required!

Here's one on youtube in fact.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:39:26 PM by Fionn » Logged

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
Fionn

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »

I would much rather pay for a few solar pv panels and a decent forklift battery,. Grin
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: