navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New battery for Smartphone  (Read 9137 times)
clivejo

« on: March 25, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »

Just been browsing Feabay looking for a new battery for my smartphone.  On quite a few listings I noticed this on the bottom of the listing:

BATTERY POLICY

All batteries are provided as strictly untested; no guarantee is given or implied that the battery will hold a charge or work away from the mains supply. We do not except any returns on the basis of 'my battery doesn't hold a charge'.

Seriously?!?   banghead

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Stig

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »

I got a new battery for a phone a few years ago and it was at least as bad as the one I was replacing.  It may well have been new but it had obviously sat discharged for a couple of years and that kills them.  They like to be kept at about 50% charge for longevity.  I bought a new phone a couple of months later.

If you're buying a new phone or laptop battery you really need to know its date of manufacture.
clockmanFR

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »

Good to here you Clivejo.  Smiley

Mrs CM disposed of her company I phone 4.

The batteries are always a problem. Mind you if it was plugged in and recharged more often........  facepalm

Any way 15 year old boy inherited it, and we fitted a new battery, all okay now and boy happy.

I used this kit of bits and watched the U.tub video no problems. BUT watch the 2 case hex head Screws they need firm pressure to undo. Boy had sheared off the supplied monkey metal screwdriver head and the screw was damaged. I reslotted the head  and used some of my tools that are properly hardened and tempered.
So getting a kit with new screws might be better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251630175532
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:58:30 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
freddyuk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »

I just ordered one of these as Iphone battery gets to 35% and then crashes so thanks for the link. It is 3 years old now.  Perversely I have an original classic Ipod which I bought in the States and some years later bought a replacement battery kit while I was there on another trip as I guessed it would soon fail and so saved myself a lot. I still have the kit as the battery is still going strong. I think it was 12+ years ago?? If the Iphone worked as well as the Ipod it would be a decent bit of kit but frankly it is hopeless which may be the fault of EE to be fair.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »

There is a very good thread back in the Navitron files,
                                 Which gives the details of replacement batteries and which more or less states that the flood of replacement batteries for our new phones are nothing less than a nasty scam.
 If you want a proper battery for your Iphone then you have to buy it of the company.  Iphone probably own the spurious batts as well under a different name.
   Wife and I have found the above to be 100% correct. The new cheap laptop and phone batts are never as good.
                                                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 09:09:15 AM »

Yes Freddyuk, that I pod was a nice bit of kit.

My boy has a little ipod with the screen, its very compact, clever tech, nice thin yet very robust design, battery life is brill, easy to use and my 15 year old loves it. We talk about it as it was probably one of the last ranges that Jobsy was hands on involved, and it shows.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 02:32:32 PM »

Not a big fan of the half eaten fruit but I've had an iPod classic for ages. Holds 10,000 songs and about 30 audio books. Great shame it is now discontinued. surrender

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Scruff

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »

I refuse to buy devices that bury the serviceable parts behind motherboards. That half even fruit company have taken to soldering RAM chips these days.  "Sorry sir we don't sell parts only repairs" fume

Last time I bought a phone I put the stock battery into storage and got one with 2.5times the capacity and a new chunkier back to the phone. The thing used to last a week new.
clivejo

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »

I got one of those gold batteries and it was great for about two months, then slowly but surely the capacity dropped off to it only lasted a few hours on a full charge.  Bit of a false economy.  The battery clearly has 3250mAh on the label and I can measure what my device is using over time and if it was 2000mAh when new Id be surprised! 

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
going green

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »

we picked up a battery from ebay for a Samsung was fine make sure you don't have a lot of apps running in the back ground eats battery life
jonesy

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »

One major manufacturer have announced their latest phones cannot be taken apart to replace bits.
Probably save them a few seconds in assembly costs to clip them together.
After all, they have the moral high ground. It's you making the decision to buy a new device.
Fruit devices will doubtless follow suit.
So, just toss the used, useless device in the recycling bin and boost their enormous profits with another.
Everyone knows that reuse & repair comes before recycle.  Right?

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

We vote for what we buy.
rogeriko

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »

Anyone like my 14v Dewalt drill that drills all day long. Now thats what I call a battery, complete with shoulder holster. extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy

* 12Vdrillsml.jpg (110.05 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 415 times.)

Scruff

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 12:03:06 AM »

Love it Rogeriko. I was thinking of doing much the same to a 24V impact.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »

It could become the 'must have' accessory! genuflect

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: