navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waste wood in Commercial RHI systems?  (Read 5812 times)
Ivan

« on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »

I understand that waste wood from your own process can be used for domestic RHI purposes. But, is it possible to use waste biomass which is obtained from other companies for commercial RHI? eg can you use waste from sawmills, or do you have to demonstrate sustainability, calculate carbon footprints, and register as an approved supplier to do so?

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

It's not 100% clear exactly what the procedure is:

"Self-supplying participants who cannot meet all of their needs from their own woodland will be able to top up with fuel purchased from a BSL supplier, or with waste woodfuel (those who are using waste will be required to keep a record of the origin and amount of waste woodfuel used, which may be audited by the BSL List Manager)."

For example, does the 50 mile sourcing limit apply to this waste or not? What % of waste can you use - is there a limit?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/405252/biomass_info_sheet_general_docx_Feb15.pdf

Volunteer moderator
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »

Thanks for the link - very helpful.

It seems that you need to register with BSL, which isn't that difficult. The sustainability audit isn't required for waste wood - which potentially saves a big external charge. The 50mile radius doesn't seem to apply to waste wood (though you probably wouldn't want to go further for cost reasons), only to self-grown biomass:

RHI participants will be able to register on the Biomass Suppliers
List (BSL) as a ‘self-supplier’ if their installation is less than
1MWth capacity, and if they source woody biomass (which they
have the legal right to source, through ownership, rental or other
relevant arrangement) from a Permitted Location. Self-suppliers
will also be able to source waste woodfuel directly from the place
where it first becomes waste, for use in their installation.

This seems a useful guide:

http://biomass-suppliers-list.service.gov.uk/docs/default-source/default-document-library/applications-and-audit-guidance-v1-6.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »

And it is worth carefully reading the definition of "waste" in that document too.

Volunteer moderator
renewablejohn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

I understand that waste wood from your own process can be used for domestic RHI purposes. But, is it possible to use waste biomass which is obtained from other companies for commercial RHI? eg can you use waste from sawmills, or do you have to demonstrate sustainability, calculate carbon footprints, and register as an approved supplier to do so?

Waste from a sawmill if classed as a co product would not be eligible for RHI
heatherhopper

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »

I have found it a bit difficult to interpret the regulations for Domestic RHI.
If, just for example, I was able to source waste pallets (those that are not recycled as pallets and would otherwise be put in a skip) from a local business under a formal arrangement is this waste wood and should I register as a self supplier? Note the pallets would only be those that are not recycled as pallets and would otherwise be put in a skip (or collected by "others" for unknown uses/disposal) and are all HT only.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Ivan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »

I assume a co-product is something that is normally sold off rather than something that is normally sent to Landfill.

regen

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »

I doubt if there is any "waste" from a sawmill which would go for landfill.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
renewablejohn

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

I have found it a bit difficult to interpret the regulations for Domestic RHI.
If, just for example, I was able to source waste pallets (those that are not recycled as pallets and would otherwise be put in a skip) from a local business under a formal arrangement is this waste wood and should I register as a self supplier? Note the pallets would only be those that are not recycled as pallets and would otherwise be put in a skip (or collected by "others" for unknown uses/disposal) and are all HT only.

Your pallets would be treated as waste timber to be used in a boiler which complies with the waste incineration directive regulations and would not be eligible for domestic RHI.
heatherhopper

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »

Thanks for that RJ - not having any reason to be, I am not familiar with the waste incineration directive regulations.
Just as well it was only an example then.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Ivan

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »

I think commercial sawmills probably have good outlets for their waste. But small joinery shops or small wood-based product factories struggle to get rid of their waste sawdust. I collect sawdust mainly from a small factory that produces trusses and timber-frames. Their sawdust contains small blocks of wood - so not much use for most people who are after sawdust for other purposes (eg animal bedding). Before I found them, their sawdust went into skips. Any process that diverts a waste product from landfill into energy without spewing out nasty toxins is a good thing in my view.

renewablejohn

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »

We used to collect waste wood from a roof truss manufacturer FOC instead of them paying for a skip to dispose of it. All we requested was that it was clean timber and sawdust but the workers thought it great fun to throw in nails and there lunch waste so we had to stop using it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: