navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info Please on ELTEK SMPS 5000 SIL V3 48v/100A, Mains 230vac Charger  (Read 19969 times)
fred bloggs

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »

CM

I have been chasing a manual after we met up, seeing your post this morning prompted me to give another "man" a call,
I spoke to him less than 5 mins ago and emails have arrived! extrahappy
I will pm you so check you inbox

Best Regards

Fred
heatherhopper

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »

Regards the SI6, well its still running on 50HZ  faint and I have shoved a SD card in the slot in the remote control unit, I tried looking at the raw data into Excel work sheet, yea right. Anyway if the SI throws a wobble then I can send the SD card to SMA.

CM - Apologies for not clarifying the data extraction. Method I use (which may not be the best) is:
You need to change the file extension to .txt or .csv for a spreadsheet to recognise it. eg si010415.log would be today's log data file and would need to be renamed to si010415.txt (or anything you want provided it has the .txt extension)
Then open the file from within your spreadsheet application. I use Open Office but if I remember right Excel is pretty much the same.
Got to - File> Open
Use the File type drop down box in the bottom right corner, scroll to and select "TEXT CSV" as the file type you are going to open
Find the file wherever you have saved it
Select your file and click open
You should then get a Text Import dialogue box
I leave everything here as the default apart from the separator options - tab, comma and semicolon all need to be selected
Click ok and you will get a nice looking spreadsheet

May not sound like a lot of fun (and isn't unless you like this kind of thing) but once you have done it once it's a breeze and given your level of interest in your system you will find it useful.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
clockmanFR

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:05 AM »

Thanks HH that will really help, now that I understand what I am doing, cheers.

Fred, Your the Man.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
fred bloggs

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »

CM

Email sent

Fred
clockmanFR

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »

Firstly a BIG THANKS to 'fred bloggs', those bits of Manual on the Mode settings, and pressing several buttons together and in what sequence, is excellent. I now think I Know what I am doing.......... facepalm

The connectors at the rear are for this Eltek unit to slide into a bigger unit containg more Elteks, but importantly this one unit will stand alone.

Hmm.... how to connect to the connectors permanently and safely.

Feeling good last night so disappeared into my workshops.  Grin

Pic 1..................So took it apart to get at the connectors.

Pic  2................The DC Output can be up to 100amps at 56v, so I have in the end turned the brass pins into a 6mm threaded stud so I can now put my trusted 16mm/2 soldered on cable end eyes.
The AC Input was awkward as the 10 way connector block was soldered straight onto the Incoming Filter stuff PCB, so de-soldered the connector and put my 3 core 6mm/2 soldered directly in place of the connector block and use the 2 locating studs sticking out of the rear of the Eltek to fix the cable support on to and used 'Ivan's' Special PV panel Silicone to seal the appropriate area.

Pic 3............ Test plugged it in, and away she goes and reading 55v output, and tested with my meter and its correct.

I was delighted with the Eltek so in celebration I Hoovered the workshops.  hysteria

Now I will fit the unit into a big aired box with contactors etc ready for installation down at the Power Station Building.

* P4021176a.jpg (162.57 KB, 942x707 - viewed 1107 times.)

* P4031178a.jpg (164.65 KB, 942x707 - viewed 910 times.)

* P4031180a.jpg (144.96 KB, 942x572 - viewed 931 times.)

clockmanFR

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »

Oh Yes dear readers........

To pacify the UK Health & Safety folk especially in the UK,  I am advised to say ........... Please do not mess with machines like this, its for your own safety.

Even switched off, its extremely likely that the large internal capacitors will hold a lethal belt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:21:25 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

knighty

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »

just had an idea...

if you could tune the voltage for the PSU, to the minimum you want the batteries to go down to

you could then leave the charger connected and running 24/7

it'll do nothing 99% of the time, but it will stop the voltage ever dropping below your min. setting

and if it somehow drops lower than that, it'll charge them up ?

this is assuming you have enough wind/pv to charge the bank up during the day, or the next day, or the day after etc...

no experience with off grid batteries... but to me it sounds like that would be the best for your batteries (never drops to too low DOD), and it'll also use the minimum power from the grid letting you get the most use out of your renewables ?
clockmanFR

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »

Nice idea knighty, I will see if I can set the Eltek to come on at say 50.50v. But not sure how to turn it off,? but I suppose it will turn itself off if the voltage rises above 50.5v I will test it.  Grin

The bits of manual say's.........

Output
Output voltage: Adjustable 0 - 59 VDC.
Output power: Limited to 5400 W.
Output current: Max. 100 A.
Output fuse: Automatic circuit breaker in negative leg
(120 A).
Ripple voltage: < 100 mVP-P at 20 MHz BW.
Psophometric noise: < 2 mVrms (In accordance with CCITT
weighted).

Here's a pic of my control stuff for switching the Eltek on and Off. Most is S/H, Used, so not much money, which is good......

At present I am having 2 options........ 1. Timer so to use just the Cheap EDF tariff at night.
2.   Voltage settings relay. Voltage drops to say 49.5v relay is energised, voltage rises, at say 55v the relay is de-energised.
The Unit has a range of settings on its 2 variable resistors, but I will need to calibrate these.
For these 2 options I will set the Eltek at 56v.

* P4081188a.jpg (154.11 KB, 942x707 - viewed 732 times.)

Fionn

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »

All looks great, I've been eyeing up those same voltage relays to use to trigger an LVLD on some LiPos but I think i'm going to use a balancer alarm output instead.
A guy on an Australian forum claimed they aren't too accurate but I'm sure they're usable with some calibration as you say.

I'd just go with a timer to power it up on the EDF night rate I think and perhaps use the voltage relay in parallel to power it up in exceptional circumstances in case the batteries go particularly low.

The more current Eltek controllers can do everything you're aiming to do out of the box but where's the fun in that Smiley

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
knighty

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »

if you can set it for 50.5v, it will (should) only put out any power when your battery drops that low, and then it will automatically (and perfectly) match it's output to the load, to keep the battery at 50.5v

so in practice, you'd never be able to pull the battery under 50.5v, once the battery capacity got that low, power would be supplied via the mains instead of the batteries

tho I guess that doesn't help with your overnight charging on cheap power when needed :-(
camillitech

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »

The other snag Knighty is that these things are notoriously inefficient. Your scheme is eminently practical, it is in fact just how all the mains voltage UPS systems work on our ship. However, they seem to be using around 200w just doing nothing  Cry

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Fionn

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »

Not the case here camilltech, these telecoms rectifier systems are really focused on efficiency as they run in huge numbers 24/7.
Even this old unit is likely pretty efficient, the latest ones are 97-98% IIRC.

PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
clockmanFR

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »

Fionn.... The Voltage Under and Over relay Unit has been well tested today.

I used a 48v battery bank as in Pic, and added a 6v battery to the string to get up to the 60v, I then used a battery charger to add voltage or just decrease with a DC light bulb, (load), and let it run on and off for a few hours.

1.   The Unit trips its internal DPST relay when a low voltage about 49.4v is reached, but switches off when the voltage rises about 0.5v to 1.0v it varies from the pre-set low voltage.

2.   After a few quick on off's the unit wanders about a few volts on trigger thresholds, but left to about one trigger in 15 minutes, it settles down again.

3... When the voltage reaches the highest voltage you want, so for me it will be Float about 55v the Unit is triggered again, with about the same wanderings on the voltages.

So to get the unit to switch on and off the Eltek Charger, I therefore NOW NEED to add a Latching relay that is activated at low voltage, and closes the 230vac Contactor that switches the Eltek ON.  Then a Pulse from the Unit when high voltage is reached to un latch the latching relay which then switches the AC Contactor off and the Eltek Off.

Well that's the Plan.

PIC 1.....Just ordered this 24vdc latching relay, flipping eck at this rate I will run out of DIN rail.  Grin (ignore what it says, it is a 24vdc coil honest).

* aalatchingRelay24v.jpg (25.18 KB, 375x500 - viewed 595 times.)

* P4111189a.jpg (166.79 KB, 907x673 - viewed 726 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:37:42 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Fionn

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »

Sounds great clockman.
So setting the delay to 15 minutes eliminates hunting at the trigger points then?

jonesy

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »

I'm a bit worried about the use of a impulse relay, as it can get out of sync.  If, for some reason, you get chatter on either the under or over voltage relay, ie two pulses instead of 1, it will start working back to front.
I'd have to work it through, but I think you can achieve what you want with a normal relay wired to self latch on low voltage, then unlatch on over voltage.
Incase someone else tries this with an impulse relay, make sure the coil is continuously rated, like the one CM is using, else they smoke real quick.  You can get some really nice, read expensive, electronic ones.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: