navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info Please on ELTEK SMPS 5000 SIL V3 48v/100A, Mains 230vac Charger  (Read 20100 times)
clockmanFR

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

knighty, .. No, do not stop just keep those ideas coming.

And to be honest, I have also been thinking on the lines of getting that U&OV unit just to trip on when the batteries get low, which fires a 24v relay that starts a 24v Timer which locks out any more triggering for a set period, say from between 1 hour and 4 hours.

And if the batteries are still getting drained because Mrs Gobbins has left the heating on in a gite bedroom, then when the batteries get low again the charging process starts again.

Jonesy........ "swap over from off grid to grid when the batteries are low during the day."
I do that already to a certain extent, but I do it manually when I see the battery voltage getting low, by using changeover switches that have EDF Grid or ECO Grid from the SI.
Eventually I would like to make the Changeover switches automated so I could let it play with it self but remember that I still have another 9kW of PV panels to go on south facing roofs, and perhaps another 5kW Turbine.

For the present my idea of the Eltek Charger is to allow some automation so when guests are here I can leave my SI created ECO Mini Grid in charge knowing that the battery charger, Eltek will kick in and keep my batteries alive if a dim bat guest does not understand and leaves Loads On.  onpatrol

I therefore believe, that using my Low voltage trigger on my present U&OVU, or something similar that you know about, then an adjustable period timer comes on and switches the Eltek On and charges the batteries to a float level, then the period timer turns off and the Eltek is turned Off. What do you think? any ideas for a wizzy circuit? I don't have a 24vdc period timer yet, any recommendations?

I have just spent a few hours this afternoon playing with the Eltek, adjusting the voltage output and Amperage output, and yes the setting are held internally even after switching the Eltek off ie, No 230va present. I plugged it back in and away she goes with the settings as set. Nice bit of Kit,  kisses to FredBloggs. ........ Grin

Pic is my present changeover switches arrangement. (Paul, me decorate ? steady on).
Pic 2.... is for Biff.. the New Under & Over Voltage Unit, that I have been playing with, but it does not just switch things on and off, typical.

* P4121190a.jpg (126.61 KB, 906x650 - viewed 584 times.)

* aa48vmonitor.jpg (28.77 KB, 600x289 - viewed 645 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:57:19 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Tinbum

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »

If any of you have a better idea of monitoring the low and high voltages of my battery Bank and switching on the Eltek and
switching it off again, that's simple, robust and cost effective. I am all ears...........................

You could use an Arduino and solid state relay/s. With that you could have everything built into one, monitoring, timers and switching.

I use Eltek chargers to charge my batteries and a couple of things cross my mind, though I am not familiar with the type here.

They are not really built for switching on and off- most are used 24/7. (I had to swap an internal relay in mine).
Even when the AC is off the DC is still connected and will drain the batteries a bit.
You could also switch the DC.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

Would a Morningstar 'relay driver' be of any use 'in the mix' CM http://scoraigwind.co.uk/relay-driver-for-load-management/ think it has four or five different channels. Methinks I'm going to use one to control my immersions at some point.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
knighty

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »

an Arduino would be fantastic... the possibilities would be endless... but probably a bit complicated and a bit of a long term project ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schneider-Electric-RE11RLMU-Multifunction-Multivoltage-Timer-/121618246162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c51032a12

I think that will do what you want ?

RS has hundreds to pick from too :-)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:25:14 PM by knighty » Logged
clockmanFR

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

"Even when the AC is off the DC is still connected and will drain the batteries a bit."

Oh Heck   Shocked 'Tinbum', now I will have to install a 100amp DC Contactor,  facepalm

Yes I like the  'Arduino' concept and 'EricW' has done one for me for a particular task. However the Envoirment down at the Power Station Building is not exactly cosy special built room on to the main House.
I did have an 'Arduino' 24 LVD system in my Garden machinery shed and Greenhouse, but it pack in after 18 months, even though it was in a sealed box undercover.
My Eldest Boy is learning the Arduino stuff and writing bits of code, I told him to hurry up and get his head around a Low voltage switch on then a time interval then a Float arrived at switch off the Eltek, what could be simpler.    aaaaagggghhh  fume

I just wanted to do something simple with the Eltek Charger.

knighty my beauty, Cheers for the timer, but they won't send to France, but I got this one and its on its way and should be here next week.......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261800430357?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  but 30... faint

I looked at the digital jobs but looks like you need a 20 page manual to keep programing it for mugging folk.  facepalm

Thanks Paul....."Would a Morningstar 'relay driver' be of any use 'in the mix'"   Unfourtuenetly I have disgarded it, as its settings are the wrong way round, and it would not do what I wanted. which seems to be the story off my Life At Present..... facepalm  facepalm  facepalm  wackoold

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »

Ah Clockman,
                    You show these nice links and I am off like the hound after the hare,
           Some nice switches, etc at Mr Chem,s. fingers crossed!
                                                       Biff
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:54:54 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
clockmanFR

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »

Yes Biff, it looks like that Mr Chem's is just an hour away from you.....?
I like to post links, if they don't conflict with Navitron's shop. Is that's okay Mr Moderator, as it shows what I am trying to achieve on my Epic voyage of Discovery.

I made an executive decision this morning..... whistlie

I will test the Eltek with a 48v set of my old UPS batteries that I have just charged up, I will give them 48 hours to settle down then I will connect them to the Eltek.
 I will set the Eltek to minimum Current charge and switch the AC on and off a few times, then leave the Eltek connected to the 48v batteries and very carefully Monitor what the Eltek is taking from the said Batteries.

I am suprised that the Eltek is so stupid to drain the batteries that it is supposed to be charging, what would happen if the AC was removed in an accident or a Power cut etc?

I will test.

Just in case, and I can use it on another task, I have ordered one of these 500a DC solenoids, but not sure if they can stand the Continuous use on the active internal Coil. There are others that are continuous rated at 25% but not many folk will send stuff to France.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130601835919?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's the thing about the UK, the Consumer Market is fantastic at getting stuff. But, here in Normandy France ,at least the Post Office is good and helpful, but getting weird and wonderful stuff is just not here yet.
You can order things, they say its in stock but it never is, so they have to order.
 RS France, I have to have an official French Business number before I can buy, even though I have a UK Account. .......... Perhaps in another 10 years or so.... Roll Eyes

knighty

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

I've got a 48v relay at work somewhere, it came off my old forklift, you're welcome to it

we used to leave it turned on 14+ hours a day, so it should be good for what you need ?

I'm not sure on the coil voltage, I think it might be 12v but I'll have to check

just pm me your address and I'll stick it in the port for you :-)
clockmanFR

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 06:12:56 PM »

Cheers knighty.  extrahappy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:29:08 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »

I will test the Eltek with a 48v set of my old UPS batteries that I have just charged up, I will give them 48 hours to settle down then I will connect them to the Eltek.
 I will set the Eltek to minimum Current charge and switch the AC on and off a few times, then leave the Eltek connected to the 48v batteries and very carefully Monitor what the Eltek is taking from the said Batteries.

I am suprised that the Eltek is so stupid to drain the batteries that it is supposed to be charging, what would happen if the AC was removed in an accident or a Power cut etc?

The thing is the Elteks are designed to be on 24/7 so in practice they wouldn't discharge the batteries. When you connect the DC of the Eltek (no 240v power on) to the batteries do you get a nice big spark same as connecting an inverter? That's the capacitors inside being 'filled'. These have to be kept 'filled' so you get some leakage from the batteries into the Eltek to do that. If you then disconnect the DC for say 15 - 30 seconds and then reconnect it you'll get another spark. That's gives an idea of how much they will drain from the batteries. Its not a lot but something to be aware of.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
jonesy

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »

I'd say a winch solenoid would not be continuously rated.  I'd also say that 25% continuous is complete oblox; that should say 25% intermittent ie 15mins on, 45 off.
They typically pull a load of current on the coil.  You can reduce this significantly and probably get back to continuous.  You'll need to play with low value, high watt resistors, but it'll be worth it.  Start the coil at full current and use a relay to switch in a resistor to the coil.  Also don't forget to inspect every year and clean the internals.
Farnel uk have an export dept which the public can use.
The capacitor leakage should be trivial, and will get worse with age.  You probably won't notice it.  Stick with switching AC.
I thought of another good reason just to use grid, rather than charging - extra cycles.  If you're charging twice a day, aren't you halving the battery life?  On the other hand, you could use the eltek to fully charge the batteries overnight, as they probably don't get equalized during the day.  Iirc that does extend life.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
clockmanFR

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Thanks Tinbum, and thanks Jonesy,

I will do a 48v battery test later today and see what those caps are pulling.

However the Sunny Island frequency has gone walk about again so domestic appliances are not functioning, which is real rugger as I have loads of washing.

Jonesy, the idea of the Eltek is really to balance out what the SI is pulling from the 48v batteries, if mrs Goggins has left an appliance on, (no more than 2kW) sort of a fail safe concept to stop the batts from getting hammered. And for use as a charger on the cheap EDF rate when there is No Sun and No wind.

clockmanFR

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »

Hi Jonesy,

Yes you were correct the coil burnt out after 45minutes of use.  fume

* P4241230a.jpg (133.87 KB, 942x707 - viewed 273 times.)

clockmanFR

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »

Been testing the the Eltek's electrical draw on its output DC 48v charging side.

I connected up some 12v 7ah batts from an old UPS system.

After a charge and 7 days of rest the holding voltage was 51.8 volts, connected up the batteries to the Eltek, Voltage 51.8volts

3 days later, 72 hours later the voltage had dropped to 51.5volts, a loss of 0.3volts.

I put a amp meter on the batteries and this showed a surge of 0.048amps on connection/spark.

Any Bright Forum members work out what the Eltek is draining from my batteries?    please.

Thanks.

* P4241229a.jpg (166.52 KB, 942x707 - viewed 271 times.)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: